8.1 update 1 DP - Battery Drain Still an Issue?

Redleg171

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I've not had the battery drain issue on my Icon with either 8.1 or 8.1 Update. Then again I never had the issue on my 521 either...and that phone already had poor battery life, but 8.1 never hurt it. Not saying I don't believe you all! I know it's been an issue for many! Not sure why I've not had the problem. The only thing I ever noticed was my phone running hot for a few minutes after installing 8.1 DP on the Icon, but that went away.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I start to get it after using certain apps or games...mostly games. And, for some reason, Here Drive+ eats my battery like it was a piece of bacon. :/ I'm not sure if it is the app itself, that it's using the GPS (I use downloaded maps), or a combination of both.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
In my case battery life is not any better, it might be hair worse (not major).

I still have a MAJOR problem with the phone getting hot. Use the phone for 2-3 min and it gets warm, use the phone for 5-10 min by around 7-10 min it is so hot it's VERY uncomfortable to hold...

I am waiting till Cyan hits before doing a hard reset (soon I hope !!!!!), I am assuming that will fix it, if it does not fix it, I will be shopping for a new phone, it's that much of a problem for me.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Probably not quite as good as before 8.1DP, but not terrible either. After cyan we'll see then a hard reset if needed.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I get about 18 hours of normal use (wifi, cellular, a bit of music, websurfing etc) after full charge, on WP 8.1.1 on my (obviously non-Cyan) Lumia Icon.
It seems it got a little better after the latest update.

What really kills the battery is surfing on sites such as those that support Disqus discussions, or using the messaging or Facebook Messenger app, which kills the battery right away - like 25% - 30% drain. I don't know if this is because of the network activity going on in these situations or if it's related to screen/keyboard input.

Iron_Wraith

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Icon since the 5th. Did the Dev Preview on the 10th. Phone got a little hot after the update due to all of the apps updating in the background. After the phone settled in and got a reboot and fresh charge it's been fine. Battery life is about the same as before for me but I'm a light user and keep location off and don't run FB or FB Messenger etc. As mentioned FB is one of the worst drains on battery. Getting about the same battery as I did with my HTC One M7 I had on AT&T before.

shielahswshielah

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Battery issue worse here to have the dev preview on my 920 since day one, have done each update.. Notes this am battery went from 99-21 in 2 hrs rough only a come text and 2 phone calls .. Like really,and I have nothing but battery performance running in background, nothing else but even email... I'm busy to get a cheap 520 and use 8 or go back to my Dell venue with 7.8 this is insane...

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Battery issue worse here to have the dev preview on my 920 since day one, have done each update.. Notes this am battery went from 99-21 in 2 hrs rough only a come text and 2 phone calls .. Like really,and I have nothing but battery performance running in background, nothing else but even email... I'm busy to get a cheap 520 and use 8 or go back to my Dell venue with 7.8 this is insane...

Do a hard reset this is the only way to get rid of phantom battery drain and/or get rid of battery performance it could be a bug with the app.

shielahswshielah

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Do a hard reset this is the only way to get rid of phantom battery drain and/or get rid of battery performance it could be a bug with the app.

Got another update last night and out was real hot right after, turned off for about 30 min and seemed Ok, battery much better today, been 12 hrs since charged at 25% now, but didn't do hard reset... Would that make it any better??

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Got another update last night and out was real hot right after, turned off for about 30 min and seemed Ok, battery much better today, been 12 hrs since charged at 25% now, but didn't do hard reset... Would that make it any better??

It probably will, its hard to tell when every update resets the battery stats, there is now a bug I'm experiencing the screen will not turn on at all (like the OS is frozen) (this also occurred when i received two Skype calls while in standby, going to answer and it just has a black screen while Skype is telling me who is calling). Hopefully MS is aware of this issue and will fix it.

oscxj220

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I had the heating problem on 920.. It ended up killing the screen had to send it in for warranty repair...

As for my battery it seems to be bad with wifi on.

OvenRash

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Slightly off-topic, but I'm curious, how do I know if I have 8.1.1 on my Icon or not? I just installed the developer preview, but it doesn't seem like I can actually make Live Folders or anything.

keerthi vasan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Slightly off-topic, but I'm curious, how do I know if I have 8.1.1 on my Icon or not? I just installed the developer preview, but it doesn't seem like I can actually make Live Folders or anything.
Can't see the OS version now. But here's another way- go to internet sharing settings. If you have the option to share internet via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth you are certainly on 8.1 update 1

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Terraria is super bad battery drainer. I can go from 80% down to 19% in about 30 minutes of playing. Worse than any other game I've played.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon