Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I personally feel that given the price of the phone, and the abrupt pulling it off the market that Verizon should offer a trade in program for Icon users. Let people who feel slighted by the way that Verizon is handling the whole affair turn in their Icons for either a high end android or apple with no change to their contract. I am very unhappy with Verizon AND Microsoft in the way this flagship phone has been handled. I would gladly go back to android after this attempt to go with WP.

**** that. I have no love for Apple or Android, and besides, that is exactly what Verizon WANTS you to do. I chose this phone, I pay my bill, so they need to support it AND my chosen platform. Period.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I personally feel that given the price of the phone, and the abrupt pulling it off the market that Verizon should offer a trade in program for Icon users. Let people who feel slighted by the way that Verizon is handling the whole affair turn in their Icons for either a high end android or apple with no change to their contract. I am very unhappy with Verizon AND Microsoft in the way this flagship phone has been handled. I would gladly go back to android after this attempt to go with WP.

I'd swap for an M8 until the end of contract or the next WP is released. I have an Android tablet and don't really care for iphones.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I've seen plenty of posts about the 930 having similar battery issues.

Well, I'm just grasping at straws trying to come up with reasons why the Icon is the redheaded stepchild and the 930 keeps getting updates. :)

Although, most phones have various issues with batteries when looking online, even the mighty iPhones. They might just be different reasons and severity.

The19thD0CT0R

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
"Heather" in the executive office called me within an hour about my email. She was pleasant and much more understanding of our gripes than your typical CSR, said they have been hearing a LOT from Icon owners about this. Stated all she knows now is "February" and that it was a back and forth between them, MS, and Nokia to get this fixed. I'm inclined to believe her to a point. While Verizon is certainly slack at helping this along/being forthcoming, MS could do a HELL of a lot more to appease their customers. Joe B, this means you.

Ben Schmidt1

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I've been following this thread for some time. I had one icon for awhile and it kept having an issue where it'd reset randomly. It seemed to happen more when I was on wifi and 4g.... anyway, traded that in for another one at the MS store, and they were awesome. The guy who helped me said 'soon' was when 8.1 was coming to the Icon. Funny thing, I had the black icon in the beginning and now I have the white one. No issues so far. Battery issue was a huge problem when I was on my first icon, but seems to be a bit better now... probably because I know how to use it without sucking the battery life.

Also, someone should copy and paste their letter here on the forum so others, like myself, can send them an email as well as to when 8.1.1 will come to the Icon.

I'll just use myself as an example because I don't want to assume when it comes to other people.... but it seems that if someone were to copy and paste an email here on the forums, it'd be easier for me to send an email. Just copy and paste and it's off. I know others have taken the time to write an email to VZN and kudos to them. But trading in my 929 for the 930 and moving to Crikett seems like a tempting option.

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
"Heather" in the executive office called me within an hour about my email. She was pleasant and much more understanding of our gripes than your typical CSR, said they have been hearing a LOT from Icon owners about this. Stated all she knows now is "February" and that it was a back and forth between them, MS, and Nokia to get this fixed. I'm inclined to believe her to a point. While Verizon is certainly slack at helping this along/being forthcoming, MS could do a HELL of a lot more to appease their customers. Joe B, this means you.

February sounds good to me!

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
So, out of curiosity, what does everyone think of MS investing in Cyanogen?
I guess MS is looking at releasing a one+ type phone loaded with MS apps?, I am really not sure where MS is going with this investment but I can say that the one+ phone with cyanogen is a very nice phone because I have a friend that uses a one+ on AT&T (or maybe on T-Mobile I forget) and it is a nice looking phone and it has some great specs

it would be interesting to see what cyanogen and MS would come up with on a nice piece of hardware like the one+ and I support the idea of a affordable unlocked phone you can use in the US, carrier exclusives phones in the US can die for all I care :devil:

Vincent Pellicone

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
[SUB]Ben, I know it was for AT&T, but spec wise other than screen size they are nearly identical. I think something went horribly wrong for the icon that nobody wants to admit[/SUB]

MatsuDano

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I guess MS is looking at releasing a one+ type phone loaded with MS apps?, I am really not sure where MS is going with this investment but I can say that the one+ phone with cyanogen is a very nice phone because I have a friend that uses a one+ on AT&T (or maybe on T-Mobile I forget) and it is a nice looking phone and it has some great specs

it would be interesting to see what cyanogen and MS would come up with on a nice piece of hardware like the one+ and I support the idea of a affordable unlocked phone you can use in the US, carrier exclusives phones in the US can die for all I care :devil:

Didn't they already try something like this with the Nokia X? A non windows OS running MS services central to the UX?

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I'd just figured that it was a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation. WP10 isn't ready for primetime yet, and it'll still need time to build the app ecosystem, and cyanogenmod is more ready to steal away market share from Google. Then, MS can bake in their services, and make it a more easily accessible Nokia x. It can act as a gateway to Windows Phone.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

Was a guy on here that was given a Droid Turbo in exchange for his Icon.

ryger48

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Alright, so here's what I found out from some digging today at the office. First, Icon/denim is in the "Lab" phase, and is still, at this time, on track for early February. I tried, but could not get a specific date. As for why all Nokia phones disappeared from the Verizon website not so long ago: this is because Microsoft is in the midst of re-branding everything so that it will no longer be the "Microsoft Nokia Lumia Icon" as an example, because that would be a mouth full, and they are dropping the Nokia branding all together. And while the Icon will continue to be supported, and the flagship phone, Microsoft is preparing for the launch of a new Lumia-family Verizon exclusive phone which will drop in the first quarter of this year.

So there you have it.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, I have been trying to get Softcard on my ICON for weeks now, searching in the store under "Softcard" and "Soft Card" would give no results, today, it showed up. Maybe this is a hint that Denim is coming soon ?

And the ICON was shipped with a Secure SIM according to what I read, so if you want to try "tap to pay" do a search to see if you can find it...

Crossing my fingers that it's a hit that Denim is coming but, take that with a grain of salt...

Yes. It does come with a secure SIM. I installed Softcard earlier this week, and it works perfectly. The one downside is the limitations of card types you can use. Otherwise it's great. Evidently, it just needs WP8.1. The firmware seems to be irrelevant.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes