Post any official updates from Verizon or Microsoft about the Icon

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I missed the Nov 15 early upgrade by a week! Just my luck.

Too bad! :unhappy:
Check before your renewal date though; they (VerizonWireless.com) told us on the phone that you can typically upgrade 9 days before your contract is up. I have no idea why they picked 9 days, but supposedly you can do it at that point instead of waiting until the specific renewal date. That would apply to in-store purchases as well.

ptmom

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
No I didn't ask the MS rep about Denim. I can only believe that the dp will be released before Verizon :) so I will just keep updating via that method. The more I think about it, could Verizon be thinking that the Icon was TOO good of a phone that people would stop upgrading? I have owned cell phones since the old "bricks", I usually updated them 6 months early until Verizon took the unlimited plans away. But now I buy them outright to keep the unlimited....I usually get bored with a phone or begin to hate it for some reason after a year. The Icon is the only one that has kept my interest. Maybe because it is so stable, battery life is great and it allows me to change the phone homepage whenever I want.

There is really no need to look at another phone.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I tried to stick with WP 8.0 as long as I could hoping a update would drop in these 3+ months so I am in the process of updating to DP now, no reason to wait for Verizon anymore for an update they may or may not ever release imho

I am thinking if the Nov 7th rumor of the M8 coming to At&t is true the exclusivity contract with Verizon should run out and maybe there will be some movement on the update for the Icon around then, if there is no update around then and we continue to get the wall of silence from Big Red about anything to do with the Icon we may be sol for any kind of update from Verizon :unhappy:

tagoofy

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Ok, first post but have been lurking for a while...

Just heard from a person within our rather large company that Verizon's "current date" for WP updates is "mid-November". Person works in our IT and this info came from a source they work with in Verizon. Our IT person was told this just this morning. Don't have any other details (v8.1? V8.1.1? All phones? Some phones? ... I don't know).

Just passing on what I heard, third hand from a possibly reliable source, so take it for what it cost you. :smile:

Here is hoping...
"Hey Cortana!" :cool:

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Ok, first post but have been lurking for a while...

Just heard from a person within our rather large company that Verizon's "current date" for WP updates is "mid-November". Person works in our IT and this info came from a source they work with in Verizon. Our IT person was told this just this morning. Don't have any other details (v8.1? V8.1.1? All phones? Some phones? ... I don't know).

Just passing on what I heard, third hand from a possibly reliable source, so take it for what it cost you. :smile:

Here is hoping...
"Hey Cortana!" :cool:

THANKS for sharing ... there has been a rumor that, like several European carriers, that perhaps Verizon is "skipping" Cyan and going directly to Denim (later in the year). However, ONLY certain Verizon phones "will support" Denim as I just upgraded from the 928 to the Icon 3 weeks ago.

Can you possibly find our more details???

tagoofy

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
THANKS for sharing ... there has been a rumor that, like several European carriers, that perhaps Verizon is "skipping" Cyan and going directly to Denim (later in the year). However, ONLY certain Verizon phones "will support" Denim as I just upgraded from the 928 to the Icon 3 weeks ago.

Can you possibly find our more details???

First thing I did, after confirm that this was not just another sales/support rep spewing a line, was for details. Which phones? 8.1 or 8.1.1? cyan, or denim? So far, I've heard nothing else. If I get more details I'll pass along.

HarrBear

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
First thing I did, after confirm that this was not just another sales/support rep spewing a line, was for details. Which phones? 8.1 or 8.1.1? cyan, or denim? So far, I've heard nothing else. If I get more details I'll pass along.

I thank you for the work you're doing. We could use some hope around these parts.

mmsea

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I had a chat with a Verizon rep today, inquiring about the availability of any pending updates. Supposedly we'll be seeing Cyan and 8.1 land officially by the end of the month (October 2014). Here is how it went:

"(ME): I've been told repeatedly, as it appears many other customers have on the Verizon forums, that it will be released soon. That's been the line since June, do you know of a hard release date?

(ME): As I understand it, Verizon is the only carrier still holding the release for Windows products. All
other carriers have released the updates to some, if not all WP devices.

(VZ REP): Let me take a look at the tech page. I don't think I will be able to find a hard release date for anything. I am not sure about the reasoning behind holding any update but I will try to find out.

(VZ REP): what I am seeing from the device testers dated the 9th of October...the 8.1 release will be Rolling out later this month. so it is not a hard release date.

(ME): Ok, is this to be the Cyan update

(VZ REP): Nothing specifically from the testers that it will be Cyan..however, the question they are responding to from us is "when will 8.1 Cyan be released" and they mention later this month. Apparently there have been issues in testing which is the reason for the delay."

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I will certainly wait a few more weeks, or even a month, before giving up on the update. The Icon is a very nice phone, even without the updates.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Why do people spend their time calling Verizon and/or Microsoft asking about updates? Those guys don't know. And we probably have no chance of getting through to whoever does know. Do you really think that your threats or superior knowledge about update statuses of other devices impresses or intimidates them?

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
(VZ REP): what I am seeing from the device testers dated the 9th of October...the 8.1 release will be Rolling out later this month. so it is not a hard release date.

Not that I don't believe this chat or you (not meaning to offend you) but, as 95% of the Verizon users/haters know that CSR's are not given information on updates when they will be released. This is well known, look over all the Android forums or even WP7 device forums on Models that Verizon carried.

I'm wondering if she/he was looking at the same thing that you were. If she was looking at a private testers chat, this is the first time anyone on this site has ever seen or heard of it. And I have been complaining about Verizon updates from my old Moto v60i....(old school)...

Anyway about it, it would be nice if true, and at this point I could care less about Cyan (if you have the WP8.1 preview/dp, you have 95% of it) as I have given up on Cyan, I want and expect Denim....

Ugh, another few weeks of waiting....Seems like a normal thing for Verizon users....waiting, waiting, waiting...

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

Thanks a lot. M8 exclusivity runs out November 7th, do this sadly makes sense in a twisted Verizon way

tbtalbot

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Here is the text of a letter I just mailed to Verizon:
I am the owner of a Nokia Icon, model 929, phone since the first day of its release in the Spring of 2014. Although I have been extremely satisfied with this handset, I am disappointed with Verizon for its failure to date to provide the long available Windows Phone 8.1 update and Cyan firmware update. Other Nokia phones by competing carriers, including the nearly identical 930 model, have had these updates for many months. In fact, the next generation of firmware is nearing release soon, which will render my phone two versions out of date.
I did try to obtain information through the online support forums and note that Verizon declines to provide a date for these upgrades. I?m concerned because I?m missing out on significant functionality on my handset because Verizon has not provided this update. Additionally, I have not found Verizon store associates to be knowledgeable about Windows Phone or even carry accessories for this now, apparently discontinued, flagship phone model.
My request to you is simple. I desire that Verizon provide the Windows Phone 8.1 update and work to keep firmware relatively current. Short of that, I?m very interested in an answer as to when Verizon may perform these updates or even knowing Verizon never intends to upgrade the software on this device.
My family has spent $2,000/year for phone service with Verizon for a number of years. I?m feeling left out in the dark here, so please let me know what your plans are. If I don?t hear anything, I?ll be going to a competitor at the end of this contract.

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I am the owner of a Nokia Icon, model 929, phone since the first day of its release in the Spring of 2014. Although I have been extremely satisfied with this handset, I am disappointed with Verizon for its failure to date to provide the long available Windows Phone 8.1 update and Cyan firmware update. Other Nokia phones by competing carriers, including the nearly identical 930 model, have had these updates for many months. In fact, the next generation of firmware is nearing release soon, which will render my phone two versions out of date.
I did try to obtain information through the online support forums and note that Verizon declines to provide a date for these upgrades. I’m concerned because I’m missing out on significant functionality on my handset because Verizon has not provided this update. Additionally, I have not found Verizon store associates to be knowledgeable about Windows Phone or even carry accessories for this now, apparently discontinued, flagship phone model.
My request to you is simple. I desire that Verizon provide the Windows Phone 8.1 update and work to keep firmware relatively current. Short of that, I’m very interested in an answer as to when Verizon may perform these updates or even knowing Verizon never intends to upgrade the software on this device.
My family has spent $2,000/year for phone service with Verizon for a number of years. I’m feeling left out in the dark here, so please let me know what your plans are. If I don’t hear anything, I’ll be going to a competitor at the end of this contract.

VZW official response:

crickets

They really don't give a flip about customers threats to switch carriers.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
...My family has spent $2,000/year for phone service with Verizon for a number of years. I?m feeling left out in the dark here, so please let me know what your plans are. If I don?t hear anything, I?ll be going to a competitor at the end of this contract.
Actually you just mad me feel like shat, I never did the math and I guess I didn't want to, but I have been giving VZW over 3000$ pet year. Now I feel dirty and I'm going to try and remove that thought from my brain.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I did try to obtain information through the online support forums and note that Verizon declines to provide a date for these upgrades. I’m concerned because I’m missing out on significant functionality on my handset because Verizon has not provided this update. Additionally, I have not found Verizon store associates to be knowledgeable about Windows Phone or even carry accessories for this now, apparently discontinued, flagship phone model.
My request to you is simple. I desire that Verizon provide the Windows Phone 8.1 update and work to keep firmware relatively current. Short of that, I’m very interested in an answer as to when Verizon may perform these updates or even knowing Verizon never intends to upgrade the software on this device.
My family has spent $2,000/year for phone service with Verizon for a number of years. I’m feeling left out in the dark here, so please let me know what your plans are. If I don’t hear anything, I’ll be going to a competitor at the end of this contract.

Where di you mail it to - corporate, "Office of the CEO", ? I had a HORRIBLE situation with DirecTV a few years ago, also HP on a laptop, and discovered that many large companies have "Office of the CEO dedicated staff"!

That said, I suspect that the executive leadership at Verizon has made clear how little they value or respond to "customer demands" - they have so many "customers" that they can always find a subset that are "happy"?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon