01-06-2015 12:47 PM
70 123
tools
    I think I can wait to see what 2015 has in store...I really do want expandable storage which is what makes the 1520 attractive, especially the 1520.2 which has 32 base plus wireless charging and glance. I just wish we were going into 2015 knowing there was a flagship coming, especially to Verizon. I keep mentioning Verizon because it is what my work uses and they pay by bill too...and still on unlimited...
    I was just about to ask why not just switch to Att :) Now I know why. Yeah I am not in a dire need to switch at this moment and I am content with my 1520 as is. I probably will at least see what happens at MWC and with that January windows 10 thing before making any moves.

Who knows...Perhaps a Beta will come out for Win 10 for phones and you wont even need Cyan, you can just bypass it to win10 :D That'll be a definite plus for the poor Icon owners stuck on black. I don't even remember black tbh and I've only been on Cyan since august lol.
    12-18-2014 10:12 AM
    I was just about to ask why not just switch to Att :) Now I know why. Yeah I am not in a dire need to switch at this moment and I am content with my 1520 as is. I probably will at least see what happens at MWC and with that January windows 10 thing before making any moves.

Who knows...Perhaps a Beta will come out for Win 10 for phones and you wont even need Cyan, you can just bypass it to win10 :D That'll be a definite plus for the poor Icon owners stuck on black. I don't even remember black tbh and I've only been on Cyan since august lol.
    We are on AT&T at home. I moved my number to work so they can pay for it and it has worked out and saved us some money. My oldest daughter has the 1520.2 which I got from Newegg and she really hates it because she is an iPhone person. I have been tempted to move back and get that from her and she can buy her own iPhone. But no more unlimited data if I do and not sure if work would be happy that I keep moving back and forth. :)
    12-18-2014 10:19 AM
    We are on AT&T at home. I moved my number to work so they can pay for it and it has worked out and saved us some money. My oldest daughter has the 1520.2 which I got from Newegg and she really hates it because she is an iPhone person. I have been tempted to move back and get that from her and she can buy her own iPhone. But no more unlimited data if I do and not sure if work would be happy that I keep moving back and forth. :)
    Go ahead and do it ;) you'll be happy you did haha
    12-18-2014 11:21 AM
    How would the One even be an upgrade from the Icon? My sister upgraded a couple of months ago, and she took the Icon over the One herself. The One's hardware is just as old as the Icon's, it just launched later because HTC was porting WP onto its Android hardware. Both are early-2014 devices, so I don't see how losing out on a good camera, a camera button, and off-screen navigation buttons makes for an upgrade, just because the OS was released on that old hardware later.
    Nogitsune Micah and aximtreo like this.
    12-18-2014 02:02 PM
    Kind of off topic, but I had to do a hard reset on my ICON for an issue that may be resolved by it...started loading apps and got a message WELCOME TO LUMIA DENIM, but I noticed I couldn't load Cyan apps. So, decided to reset again and this time before Extra+Info updated, it said Lumia Black. Once Extra+Info updated, it once again said Denim.
    12-18-2014 02:17 PM
    Haha.

The 1520 is an amazing phone. The only phone I have ever kept for a year. Got mine launch day and if I don't move to the iPhone 6+ again, it will be the first phone I also kept for nearly 2 years while waiting on windows 10.

But OS stuff aside, you really aren't missing much since your icon is essentially my 1520 in a smaller package. I'd actually like a 930/icon over my 1520 as I think the design is amazing.

Why not check out the samsung ativ se? It is better than the m8 with fewer compromises if you really want to try something new for the time being?
    For some reason I was completely ignorant of the Samsun Ativ SE being a current generation phone. It even has SD 800.

Wow, how focused on Nokia I've got. I knew all about the M8, just missed this one entirely!
    12-18-2014 02:19 PM
    Yes...I have kids and the ICON tends to take some amazing moments for me, though it is slow with Nokia Camera and the Dev. Preview...I heard Cyan fixes that but that's a whole other subject.

I actually would get the M8 and switch between the two phones if it didn't have a different SIM. Different SIM cards mean more work to switch between the two.
    Denim is clamed to fix the slow camera issue.....We are dreaming of Cyan on the ICON but, we really NEED Denim

Different SIMs, no biggie, get the adapter, I used some to try other phones who had a larger SIM, no problems with them and they are cheap too...
    12-18-2014 02:41 PM
    For some reason I was completely ignorant of the Samsun Ativ SE being a current generation phone. It even has SD 800.

Wow, how focused on Nokia I've got. I knew all about the M8, just missed this one entirely!
    Yeah, it was barely marketed so no surprise that you missed it. But yeah it came out around the icons time and nearly the same specs. :D just with far less support.
    12-18-2014 03:40 PM
    Kind of off topic, but I had to do a hard reset on my ICON for an issue that may be resolved by it...started loading apps and got a message WELCOME TO LUMIA DENIM, but I noticed I couldn't load Cyan apps. So, decided to reset again and this time before Extra+Info updated, it said Lumia Black. Once Extra+Info updated, it once again said Denim.
    I think that is a known bug.
    12-18-2014 03:43 PM
    I will be moving off Verizon onto a 1520. It's not that the M8 isn't a good phone, it is. It has more to do with Verizon's disregard to WP.
    12-18-2014 04:26 PM
    I will be moving off Verizon onto a 1520. It's not that the M8 isn't a good phone, it is. It has more to do with Verizon's disregard to WP.
    No, the One actually isn't a good Windows Phone. It's a decent Android device, but it steers way too far away from what the benefits of WP are. The main complaint I have is that the camera button is gone. I'm not big on taking pictures, so to be honest, I'd probably take many fewer pictures without my camera button, as the button-unlock-scroll-app-shoot sequence would be too cumbersome for me to bother with. I also find the on-screen nav buttons utterly disgusting, as they get in the way of the OS and display, and they lose things like directly searching without unlocking the device (not sure if Cortana does that, but I was irritated when that stupid application came and took the Bing-from-lockscreen feature away). Then there's the part where HTC offers nothing close to the Nokia/Microsoft level of software/firmware support, and it just kills it.

On Android, the leader in the clubhouse, Samsung, loads its devices with useless features and bloatware that makes 10 GB of storage disappear upon purchase, so something like the One looks decent, when compared to that. Stick the One next to a device with a small OS, a great camera, and great software/firmware support, and the One quickly turns into a turd, in my eyes. I mean, I'm not even considering upgrading on AT&T right now, as I stick with my 920 and hope for a flagship Lumia in the next 3-6 months. However, if my 920 broke right now, I'd get a Lumia 1520 I don't trust the durability of before I got a One I don't like a single things about.
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    12-18-2014 07:10 PM
    Well you're getting denim now. So os that a reason to stay now?
    12-19-2014 12:16 PM
    You're getting denim :) all that waiting has paid off! :P
    12-19-2014 12:16 PM
    I am looking at it.. I am just switching to wishes phone and verizon , I like the icon and would love an icon, but it seems pretty old to just newly purchase.
    12-19-2014 04:59 PM
    Switched to the Note 4, still have my Icon, going to be the Wife's after the update to Denim. She has the 928 now, loves Windows Phone and likes my Icon Better. So it worked out for me.
    12-19-2014 05:20 PM
    This is a lateral move at best. Sure, if you're deciding between Icon and M8 and you don't own either, it makes sense. But to go from one contract to another for a phone that's equivalent seems extreme especially since when the Icon does get upgraded, all this complaining will go away. People are up in arms because we don't have an upgrade yet. When that comes, the Icon will be one of the 3 flagship phones again.
    jazz70, aximtreo and wpn00b like this.
    12-19-2014 10:10 PM
    This is a lateral move at best. Sure, if you're deciding between Icon and M8 and you don't own either, it makes sense. But to go from one contract to another for a phone that's equivalent seems extreme especially since when the Icon does get upgraded, all this complaining will go away. People are up in arms because we don't have an upgrade yet. When that comes, the Icon will be one of the 3 flagship phones again.
    It still is a flagshipn:P
    12-20-2014 03:57 AM
    Absolutely not. In my mind if it's not a Lumia it's not a Windows Phone. That really sucks for me. I've been with my 928 forever and now it's time to upgrade. I was excited about moving up to the Lumia Icon but alas, Verizon has pulled it from their line-up and replaced it with.... nothing. Their next Lumia flagship phone has been announced to drop nowhere in the near future. So now, I'm forced to go back to Android. Samsung Note 4 to be exact. I know, I know, it sucks to be me. Wah Wah, call my mommy baby. One good thing, I'm on the Edge plan which means I can upgrade in 10 months. IF MS comes out with a new flagship Lumia with the excellent low light camera, then maybe I'll bit the bullet and switch a bit earlier.

The Microsoft Marketing Mentality is retarded. What kind of company virtually forces a loyal user away from their user base. Then again, maybe not so stupid. MS makes more money from me buying an Android phone than Google does... 'nough said. I wonder though, WWBGD? "What would Bill Gates do?"
    12-20-2014 04:27 PM
    I wonder though, WWBGD? "What would Bill Gates do?"
    That reminds me of a joke I saw on Reddit recently:

Bill Gates: So why don't you tell me why Bing failed.

Board: We feel there was a public nescience towards Bing.

Bill Gates: Nescience? Let me Goog- oh, I see what you mean!
    aximtreo and wpn00b like this.
    12-20-2014 06:18 PM
    That reminds me of a joke I saw on Reddit recently:

Bill Gates: So why don't you tell me why Bing failed.

Board: We feel there was a public nescience towards Bing.

Bill Gates: Nescience? Let me Goog- oh, I see what you mean!
    I personally think they should rename it to "Bang." That way you can say you "Banged" Catherine Zeta Jones. :-D
    Jose_Rey likes this.
    12-20-2014 06:33 PM
    Absolutely not. In my mind if it's not a Lumia it's not a Windows Phone. That really sucks for me. I've been with my 928 forever and now it's time to upgrade. I was excited about moving up to the Lumia Icon but alas, Verizon has pulled it from their line-up and replaced it with.... nothing. Their next Lumia flagship phone has been announced to drop nowhere in the near future. So now, I'm forced to go back to Android. Samsung Note 4 to be exact. I know, I know, it sucks to be me. Wah Wah, call my mommy baby. One good thing, I'm on the Edge plan which means I can upgrade in 10 months. IF MS comes out with a new flagship Lumia with the excellent low light camera, then maybe I'll bit the bullet and switch a bit earlier.

The Microsoft Marketing Mentality is retarded. What kind of company virtually forces a loyal user away from their user base. Then again, maybe not so stupid. MS makes more money from me buying an Android phone than Google does... 'nough said. I wonder though, WWBGD? "What would Bill Gates do?"
    You can still find Icons at Verizon's brick and mortar stores, I saw one there just the other day. It's still a flagship and we will get 8.1.1/ Denim in the first part of 2015. Waiting for the next flagship may mean waiting for Windows 10 Mobile.
    wpn00b likes this.
    12-20-2014 08:15 PM
    Aside from the Front Facing Speakers(subjective), IR blaster(Subjective), and SD card slot(I'll give them that) and the 801 processor(No matter how the M8 fans try to make out to be so better, it really isn't....).
    That is a lot of "asides" you list there.... The front facing speakers are better sounding than the speakers on the Icon. The Icon doesn't have an IR blaster or an SD card slot, so these must be improvements over the Icon, wouldn't you say? Are you a microprocessor engineer now? The 801 must certainly be at least "somewhat" of an upgrade from the 800, don't you think?

I left the Icon for the M8 and am enjoying it as much, if not better, then the Icon.
    The only aspect of the phone that is not up to par with the Icon would be the camera.
    I am not a pro photographer and could never take great pictures consistently on the Icon or any other phone.
    The camera on the M8 works fine for me, and it certainly has its positive attributes as well.
    cbreze likes this.
    12-20-2014 10:59 PM
    My icon has been having battery heating issues lately, so I took it in today to order a replacement. I knew there were several upgrades available on my families account, and I had been thinking for days about whether or not to switch to the m8. Here is what I thought. Good things about m8: new phone, 8.1 comes on it, good specs. Good things about icon: wireless charging, great camera, gets Lumia updates, also good specs. Now the pros and cons was partially what made me decide to keep my icon (which is what I did). It was mostly wireless charging and Lumia updates. But I was also happy with my icon and didn't mind keeping the same model and saved our upgrades for my family.
    aximtreo and Nogitsune Micah like this.
    12-20-2014 11:06 PM
    ...told him that there is no way that I would downgrade my Icon for that phones. That was several months ago and it was weeks before the Icon was pulled. After I told him that I would not downgrade to a lesser phone, he told me that they have been hearing that alot. He also told me that the HTC was not gaining a foot hold because customers were still taking the Icon instead. The camera and wireless charging was two of the main reasons that customers were stating as the reasons why.
    Ever since the Icon was pulled, I have been wondering if that's part of the reason for the Icon bring disconnected. The hardware was so close and in some cases better than the HTC, so drop the Icon and keep the 928 that was several years older, so customers looking for a Windows phone would pick the "better" HTC...
    Hmm... Interesting. I have the 8X still and I'd have the Icon of it were still available through Verizon. I'm fully intending to wait until next fall but I never thought of it as maybe a contractually obliged thing where MS takes the time to develop their true flagship and gives other players a chance to try out the market.

I feel bad for not getting the M8 considering they will likely say it failed and they will stop making Windows devices, but it is still a nice way to get people to look at the OS knowing the hardware is on par.

Btw I was at Target shopping the other night and saw that TMobile was the only carrier on display with a Windows phone. It adjusted to be a 5xx Nokia for prepaid.

AT&T had the M8, just not for Windows.
    12-21-2014 08:58 AM
    Absolutely not. In my mind if it's not a Lumia it's not a Windows Phone.
    I feel the same way. Anything not Lumia is not a Windows Phone to me...It's just 'one of the others" as I refer to them :P
    I always get my friends and family on Windows phone and thankfully with all the low end stuff Microsoft is throwing out, I really have no need to suggest them much of anything else.

However I did suggest my friend the Blue HD phone that he got...He wanted something cheap but with a front facing camera. But he winded up returning it and managed to scoop a Lumia 920 offline from Amazon off contract.

The only downside is steering family and friends who want a high end Windows Phone to the Lumia 1520. I have more difficulty but I did manage to steer my friend towards the Samsung Ativ SE over the M8 thankfully.
    That is a lot of "asides" you list there.... The front facing speakers are better sounding than the speakers on the Icon. The Icon doesn't have an IR blaster or an SD card slot, so these must be improvements over the Icon, wouldn't you say? Are you a microprocessor engineer now? The 801 must certainly be at least "somewhat" of an upgrade from the 800, don't you think?

I left the Icon for the M8 and am enjoying it as much, if not better, then the Icon.
    The only aspect of the phone that is not up to par with the Icon would be the camera.
    I am not a pro photographer and could never take great pictures consistently on the Icon or any other phone.
    The camera on the M8 works fine for me, and it certainly has its positive attributes as well.
    Again those do not make it an overall phone as you M8 owners try to make it out to be. Ever since the M8's release and the unfortunate discontinuation of the Icon, which I do believe is because of the M8 and it is unfortunate that owners who want a Windows phone have to settle for Less with the M8...though thankfully the Samsung ATIV Se is still an option(It's why I remind people of it) and unlike the BS that people spew against the Icon, the Samsung ATIV Se has nearly the same exact specs and Pros of the M8 :) Save the overrated speakers.

No I wouldn't say the speakers are an improvement. While nice to have, it is not something that I forsee a lot of people in the mainstream really buying a phone for. It's one of those "Oh, I have that feature.. That's pretty cool."

VS
    An amazing Camera which in this day an age of Snapchat, Instagram, tumblr and Youtube/Vine is prevalent and a much more used features. Having speakers on the front honestly make the phone look worse to me and I really hope Microsoft does not do this. I want them on the back.

an SD card slot, I have on my Lumia 1520 and you know why it only matters to me? Because Unfortunately, Att gimped the Lumia 1520 with 16 GB so I NEED the SD card slot if I want to have apps and music and photos and videos on my phone.

But for the Lumia 930/Icon...No it lacking it and the M8 having it does not make it a lesser phone or the M8 better. Again, it's one of those features where it's nice to have but not a killer feature.

When the Majority of iPhones that are sold are I believe 16 GB or the 32 GB models...that should tell you that not everyone cares about an SD card :)

Furthermore, about the processor....it's 801 vs 800....not 805 vs 800. You people do love to hold that against it and really it is irrelevant. I could see if the icon had 400 or even 200 and we were comparing. The differences are trivial.

That's nice if you think the M8 is better than the Icon. Most people don't. I certainly don't. It's a lesser device from a Lesser OEM and it is not a phone that the masses want :)

And with the Denim update plus Hey Cortana, unless M8 gets Hey Cortana....which hopefully Microsoft wont, the Lumia 930/Icon will once again be the de facto standard and flagship alongside the Samsung Ativ Se. Two phones with very little compromises :)
    12-22-2014 10:08 AM
70 123