Wifi on Icon incredibly slow?

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys. I've got an Icon and it's starting to drive me crazy! It started with slow loading times for apps, such as 10 or so seconds to load up the music player, and now the most annoying problem yet; it's like the phone is throttling my wifi speed.

Here's what I get on my Desktop, same network- 4595750467.png

And here's what I get on my Icon, same network, Cellular turned off- 2s91K2c.png

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm considering doing the hardest reset on my phone that I possibly can and using no restore methods. This is driving me crazy.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Is your desktop wired or wireless? I use Speedtest a lot and generally the wired performance will always be better. I've also found my Icon "likes" some routers/wireless access points better than others, especially on the 5G band. We have a Netgear access point with AC support at work and my Icon is 50% slower than a laptop. Neither is as fast as my wired desktop. But at home on an Asus router, the Icon is pretty much the same as my laptop, and Speedtest is faster than at work even though the internet connection isn't.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
What kind of router are you using? Is it dual band? If so, the Icon is 802.11ac capable, and I recommend switching to the 5GHz band.. The Icon seems to be more sensitive to wireless interference than other WiFi enabled devices. By switching to the 5GHz band you will eliminate most interference from other wireless networks as well as cordless phones and microwaves.

I am getting approximately the same throughput on all of my devices; SP3, HP Desktop, and Icon. All of them connected via 802.11ac. When I say approximate, I mean +/- 6% of each other.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Not that it is as bad as yours, but in terms of the ratio of throughput to what your phone will do...

My average throughput for other devices is around 470mbps, but the max my phone sees is around 40mbps down, 20mbps up. And that's if I am holding it a foot away from the router.

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I ran a quick test yesterday when I got my Icon and it showed pretty slow wifi speed. So I then tested on a computer, same result. So I reset my Apple Airport Extreme router and things are nice and fast. Everything showing approximately the same 105/18Mbps speed.

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
At least yours connect to wifi without any issues... My 930 needs to be reset, sometimes twice a day, because it randomly stops connecting to the wifi (both at work and at home). It's my 2nd 930, always had issues with wifi wether it's the connectivity or the speed. Never had that issue with my 920 in 2 years...

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I was Speedtesting on my desktop with both wireless and Ethernet connections and they get the same speed. It seems like my router only supports 2.4ghz so switching to 5 is out of the question.
What I don't get is that Speedtest on my phone is also connecting to a completely different speedtest server then the one my PC is, and it's also further away. I don't know if that affects anything other than ping, but it does it every time.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I was Speedtesting on my desktop with both wireless and Ethernet connections and they get the same speed. It seems like my router only supports 2.4ghz so switching to 5 is out of the question.
What I don't get is that Speedtest on my phone is also connecting to a completely different speedtest server then the one my PC is, and it's also further away. I don't know if that affects anything other than ping, but it does it every time.

Yes that actually will affect the over all throughput. Longer distance means more nodes that it has to go through, each node is itself is either a switch, a router, or a server and has to determine the destination of the traffic then send it on its way. Throw in that it also is doing first in, first out you will get slower throughput.

Try turning off location services and cellular data, and then do a speed test. The IP should then determine the server to use and it SHOULD pick the same one as your desktop. You can also manually pick the server. Figure out which one your desktop is using, then pick that one in Speedtest.net.

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

I noticed that too. From the computers speedtest would pick a service in St. Louis, but the phone wanted to pick what I know is a poor one to use in Paducah, KY. I changed that on the phone to the one in St. Louis and got same results with either devices.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The WiFi on the Icon is sub-par. It's either the antenna hardware or the placement, not much to do about it. If you're close to a router you'll be OK for the most part.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes