Possible to down grade to cyan?

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
This is an odd question, but I wanted to see if I downgraded to Cyan (if it's even possible) and messed around with access point, that maybe I could work-around the SMS issue on 3g. I have looked but couldn't really find anything.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I believe only Denim was available.. You could potentially flash a 930 cyan ROM, but I'm not sure what you would be "borking" in the process..

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Icon never got Cyan. Do you really mean the firmware or do you want to go back to 8? For either, only thing I can think of is the old Nokia Software Updater for Retail but the servers probably aren't available any longer.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I should have the Denim firmware and some sort of software updated squirreled away somewhere.

Probably be a couple days.

Wait, what SMS issue on 3G? (Still running 8/Denim, so I could possibly test it myself.)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Icon never got Cyan. Do you really mean the firmware or do you want to go back to 8? For either, only thing I can think of is the old Nokia Software Updater for Retail but the servers probably aren't available any longer.

That would not work, as when you try to connect to it, it downloads the newest one automaticly, UNLESS you backed up the old image (there was a hack I posted to download the old image)

The ICON never got Cyan, they skipped over Cyan and went to Denim, so going back to Cyan is impossable (unless you can hack a 930 rom but, that has another set of possable issues)

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm using my Icon on T-Mobile and there's a bug (that applies to all Icons on T-mo) where you cant send SMS on 3g most of the time. I get around it by keeping it set to 2g as I'm mostly around Wi-Fi. I can get SMS/MMS on all bands, it's just the sending. I'm on 8.1/Denim the latest firmware.

Flashing a 930 ROM? I did look into that just can't find out how. I wonder if I did that if I could access the field test mode as you can not on 929 ROM. Would I lose any bands?

Reading up on this issue I believe the problem stems from the Icon have 3g on both the CDMA & GSM radios. If I could only get into the field test mode I could try and shut off any CDMA bands to test it out.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm using my Icon on T-Mobile and there's a bug (that applies to all Icons on T-mo) where you cant send SMS on 3g most of the time. I get around it by keeping it set to 2g as I'm mostly around Wi-Fi. I can get SMS/MMS on all bands, it's just the sending. I'm on 8.1/Denim the latest firmware.

Flashing a 930 ROM? I did look into that just can't find out how. I wonder if I did that if I could access the field test mode as you can not on 929 ROM. Would I lose any bands?

Bands, I dont think so as they are hard coded into the phone (not sure a fimware could change that), If you want to look into this route, I might suggest doing some reading over at XDA... Pretty sure it is possable

Would be nice if someone could HACK the bands on a phone...We could be using a 950XL on Verizon...(chipset DOES support CDMA on the phone) and that would be cool..

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Bands, I dont think so as they are hard coded into the phone (not sure a fimware could change that), If you want to look into this route, I might suggest doing some reading over at XDA... Pretty sure it is possable

Would be nice if someone could HACK the bands on a phone...We could be using a 950XL on Verizon...(chipset DOES support CDMA on the phone) and that would be cool..

Learning as I go :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon