Do smokers deserve health insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I see smokers constantly getting treated for their " indulgence ". I know the tax payer's dollars do to treatments. They get a stroke, get treated and come right back. Today a patient at a health facility told me that the government should wait on him no matter what because he is a citizen.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
As long as their premium is higher I don't see why not. The more they pay in health insurance, the better chance they spend less on nicotine.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Everyone should be offered health insurance but I agree your premium should be based on your health habits. At work we can get $600 dollars in extra health credits based on certain criteria such as BMI, BP and Not Smoking. So in essence those that smoke and/or do not take care of themselves pay more than the rest of us. BMI is very subjective so you can get a note from a doctor saying your BMI is good for you to still get the credit if you are over the limit.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Well in nz. no they don't why? Becuase the nz government is going to ban smoking by 2025 and they are raising the cost by $10 a year. If you are caught smoking in 2025 are are gonna get hunted down by the government. Most likely go to jail. It's dead simple in nz. You smoke you pay the price of your choice. Nz rules are very strict. Like your kid has to go to kindy garden and if you don't get a job. Your dept raise by one cent per week or month? We do offer health insurance for people but not smokers

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I find smoking to be a disgusting habit, but I'd never tell someone what they can or cannot do with their body. If you choose to poison yourself, it's your life to cut short. I don't feel any government leadership should have the right to choose for you either.

In any case, I have no problem offering healthcare to anyone... but I think knowingly poisoning yourself SHOULD carry a higher premium cost to it as an incentive for healthier living.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm talking about the people who don't have private insurance and rely on the medicare to help them out.

Well cigarettes in the US are not potent enough.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to throw that question in here too, I knew it was only a matter of time before someone would ask.

And that depends. If they have some kind of thyroid problem that they can't loose weight, then yes they deserve it.

If they are just some fat pig that can't stop eating, then **** no. I had a fat person tell me she is fat because of the elevator. It has nothing to do with that fact she is capable of consuming a whole chicken per day.

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Well in nz. no they don't why? Becuase the nz government is going to ban smoking by 2025 and they are raising the cost by $10 a year. If you are caught smoking in 2025 are are gonna get hunted down by the government. Most likely go to jail. It's dead simple in nz. You smoke you pay the price of your choice. Nz rules are very strict. Like your kid has to go to kindy garden and if you don't get a job. Your dept raise by one cent per week or month? We do offer health insurance for people but not smokers

NZ sounds like a horrible place to live.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to throw that question in here too, I knew it was only a matter of time before someone would ask.

And that depends. If they have some kind of thyroid problem that they can't loose weight, then yes they deserve it.

If they are just some fat pig that can't stop eating, then **** no. I had a fat person tell me she is fat because of the elevator. It has nothing to do with that fact she is capable of consuming a whole chicken per day.

How about people who drink? Do they deserve insurance? People with non-congenital diabetes? People who work under dangerous conditions (oil rigs, miners, fishermen, farmers, etc.). How about high stress level jobs? Stress will literally kill you. How about people who have developed cancer from working in unhealthy conditions? All of these people could have made better choices for their health but do they deserve we cut off their access to health insurance? No. A premium makes sense if they're higher risk though.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
How about people who drink? Do they deserve insurance? People with non-congenital diabetes? People who work under dangerous conditions (oil rigs, miners, fishermen, farmers, etc.). How about high stress level jobs? Stress will literally kill you. How about people who have developed cancer from working in unhealthy conditions? All of these people could have made better choices for their health but do they deserve we cut off their access to health insurance? No. A premium makes sense if they're higher risk though.

I'm not talking about jobs. And drinking that's ok . People drink on occasions and a little bit of wine is good for you once in a while.

We already have crime and illegal drugs. What else is new? I don't see your point.

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have known several people who have died from liver related illness related to alcoholism. Its the same story, different vice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I read an interesting paper a couple of years back that talked about how in present times alcohol is now a bigger burden on societies than smoking. It mentioned the physical/health issues, mental health issues, crimes, accidents, and social aspects such as broken families.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but your not actively killing people around you when you drink. When you smoke, other people's health diminishes from second hand.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not talking about jobs. And drinking that's ok . People drink on occasions and a little bit of wine is good for you once in a while.

We already have crime and illegal drugs. What else is new? I don't see your point.

Let me try and make it clearer for you: there are a lot activities that pose a serious threat to one's health other than the very demonized smoking habit. They can be job related, diet related, related to your location, physical activity, sexual habits, etc. These all are choices you have to make at one point or another. Indeed, you can always get another job, change your diet, where you live, exercise more, or engage in less dangerous sports, be more responsible with who you date, etc.

If you bar health insurance to smokers because they willingly harm themselves, then you should also do the same for all who you engage in risk activities. Speculator? No health insurance. The level of stress endured under your working conditions will put you at risk of heart problems by the time you're 40. Drinking too much soda? No health insurance. At risk of diabetes. You live next to a refinery? No health insurance. It's been proven homes next to oil industry facilities put you at risk of cancer. Enjoy surfing, rafting, mountain biking? No health insurance. These activities increase the risk of bone fracture drastically. Enjoy having multiple short-lasting relationship and engage in sexual activities with them? No health insurance. You put yourself at risk of STDs.

On top of that, what if a smoker gets hit by a drunk driver, needs rehabilitation to learn how to speak, eat and walk properly again but has no health insurance? How what happened is his fault and what are we punishing him for?

Yeah but your not actively killing people around you when you drink. When you smoke, other people's health diminishes from second hand.

Are we talking about smokers' access to health insurance or second-hand smoking?

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Im in the UK, so believe that everyone is entitled to health treatment no matter what they do with their bodies. You pay the price by the amount of years you lose from your lifespan, it is an individuals choice as to whether they party hard and die at 30 or stay sensible and live to 80..

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Let me try and make it clearer for you: there are a lot activities that pose a serious threat to one's health other than the very demonized smoking habit. They can be job related, diet related, related to your location, physical activity, sexual habits, etc. These all are choices you have to make at one point or another. Indeed, you can always get another job, change your diet, where you live, exercise more, or engage in less dangerous sports, be more responsible with who you date, etc.

If you bar health insurance to smokers because they willingly harm themselves, then you should also do the same for all who you engage in risk activities. Speculator? No health insurance. The level of stress endured under your working conditions will put you at risk of heart problems by the time you're 40. Drinking too much soda? No health insurance. At risk of diabetes. You live next to a refinery? No health insurance. It's been proven homes next to oil industry facilities put you at risk of cancer. Enjoy surfing, rafting, mountain biking? No health insurance. These activities increase the risk of bone fracture drastically. Enjoy having multiple short-lasting relationship and engage in sexual activities with them? No health insurance. You put yourself at risk of STDs.

On top of that, what if a smoker gets hit by a drunk driver, needs rehabilitation to learn how to speak, eat and walk properly again but has no health insurance? How what happened is his fault and what are we punishing him for?

Are we talking about smokers' access to health insurance or second-hand smoking?

Both. Stressful jobs don't kill anyone other than the person doing the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon