I swear by all that is holy that civil engineers get their diplomas straight from a box of Cracker Jacks. Mr. Daniels and Mr. Ice Cube (not the rapper) will be my closest friends tonight.
    I was gonna do that, but I decided to behave and make my own sorrel tonight and tomorrow evening finish the process by adding some J. Wray & Nephew in it for that extra...bite.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-12-2018 05:02 PM
    I was gonna do that, but I decided to behave and make my own sorrel tonight and tomorrow evening finish the process by adding some J. Wray & Nephew in it for that extra...bite.
    Never had that. Is it like 151 Bacardi? I’m too familiar with the 151.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-12-2018 05:05 PM
    Never had that. Is it like 151 Bacardi? I’m too familiar with the 151.
    It's not as blistering as the 151, but it ain't far off.

It's so strong I knew a dude from Puerto Rico who was the handyman in the old building that drank Bacardi like tap water cowering in fear and cursing in Spanish when I offered him a shot o' the "Wray & Nephew", as we call it.

https://distiller.com/spirits/j-wray...-overproof-rum

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...-rum-top-class
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-12-2018 05:31 PM
    What a tough way to get by indeed.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-12-2018 05:35 PM
    I tried running Andy's phone with the animations turned off and it felt awful. The animations are turned off on my Mi Note 2 and it feels smoother there.

Just the little things like this causes my feelings about the phone to be vacillating constantly...
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-12-2018 08:38 PM
    I tried running Andy's phone with the animations turned off and it felt awful. The animations are turned off on my Mi Note 2 and it feels smoother there.

Just the little things like this causes my feelings about the phone to be vacillating constantly...
    I can get why, it sounds like a roller coaster of feels.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-12-2018 09:00 PM
    Class was interesting, we had a guest speaker and she introduced possibilities, kind of. I appreciate that he invites people who currently work in a library setting or have a information professional role.
    02-12-2018 09:04 PM
    I have been way too busy at work the last few weeks. It's a fuster cluck of epic proportions.
    02-12-2018 09:08 PM
    I can get why, it sounds like a roller coaster of feels.
    It's an unpolished experience. Which is sad because they nailed the hardware. At least Google had the "functional hardware" design but nailed the software.
    02-12-2018 09:19 PM
    So the GF had me read this article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.42524e42578f

My response:

The chorus: "to be poor is a crime, man has to know that in these times."

Thanks Mr. Trump! At least you're (consistently) overt with what the privileged few have always thought about us.
    02-12-2018 09:26 PM
    So the GF had me read this article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.42524e42578f

My response:

The chorus: "to be poor is a crime, man has to know that in these times."

Thanks Mr. Trump! At least you're (consistently) overt with what the privileged few have always thought about us.
    That's really messed up! How dare he! I would say I can't believe that he would go there but I don't know anymore. Just terrible ideas all around.
    Laura Knotek and fatclue_98 like this.
    02-12-2018 09:34 PM
    That's really messed up! How dare he! I would say I can't believe that he would go there but I don't know anymore. Just terrible ideas all around.
    What do you mean "how dare he?"

Did you miss the part about how Sen. Graham was proposing similar vicious cuts long before Trump had a clue about politics?

Trump in many ways is doing what some of the older conservatives have wanted but couldn't do so out of fear of public rebuke. Teflon Trump is immunue to that level of rebuke so him being overt shouldn't be a surprise.
    02-12-2018 09:38 PM
    What do you mean "how dare he?"

Did you miss the part about how Sen. Graham was proposing similar vicious cuts long before Trump had a clue about politics?

Trump in many ways is doing what some of the older conservatives have wanted but couldn't do so out of fear of public rebuke. Teflon Trump is immunue to that level of rebuke so him being overt shouldn't be a surprise.
    I think I either missed that or I can't recall.

That's a great point though.
    02-12-2018 09:54 PM
    I think I either missed that or I can't recall.

That's a great point though.
    Not to pick on you:

"I think I missed that or I cannot recall."

Unfortunately, too many people are using this in the face of political tactics used to bully and subdue minorities and the less fortunate. And the standard disconnect where you can vote for a political construct separately from how that same construct plays out in reality is still alive and well.

Examples:

1)

Man: "these blacks are lazy!"
    Woman: "what about James, you're best friend?"
    Man: "he's different. You see he works hard, is his own man. He doesn't do like those others."

2)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/u...ge-garcia.html

Too much is happening to do this "I missed that" bit.
    02-12-2018 10:03 PM
    Not to pick on you:

Unfortunately, too many people are using this in the face of political tactics used to bully and subdue minorities and the less fortunate. And the standard disconnect where you can vote for a political construct separately from how that same construct plays out in reality is still alive and well.

Examples:

1)

Man: "he's different. You see he works hard, is his own man. He doesn't do like those others."

2)

Your first point is what we encountered in the UK regularly.

People complaining about immigrants to your face and then you point out the you're an immigrant, because we are, but it's ok, because we're somehow 'different' than those other immigrants.

It's this mentality that made the UK leave the EU. I also know from other people who lived in the UK long before me that lots of people in the UK have had this disconnect for some time.

But then again, don't all societies?
    02-13-2018 02:23 AM
    It's sad, since all countries improve from diversity, not to mention that most people in any countries are descendants of immigrants, not descendants of the native people who originally inhabited those countries.
    fatclue_98, libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    02-13-2018 03:41 AM
    It's too early to be reacting to this farce living at 1600 Pennsylvania. MIA makes an excellent point about the current Old White Republicans using Dump to push their agendas without worrying about the optics. He's been a Godsend to them and their supporters can't see the trees for the forest.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-13-2018 06:36 AM
    Your first point is what we encountered in the UK regularly.

People complaining about immigrants to your face and then you point out the you're an immigrant, because we are, but it's ok, because we're somehow 'different' than those other immigrants.

It's this mentality that made the UK leave the EU. I also know from other people who lived in the UK long before me that lots of people in the UK have had this disconnect for some time.

But then again, don't all societies?
    All societies marginalize some of their members. Western European countries and their former colonies like 'Murica are uber-noorious for it.

It's just a continuation of the "same old two-step".
    libra89, N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-13-2018 07:12 AM
    Not to pick on you:

Examples:

1)

2)

Valid point, but I have to say that it's hard to find the balance between being informed and pulling back for self-care. As you are probably aware of already, different people are affected in different ways (or even not affected) by what they consume and what they see.

You are correct, but that is also a important consideration in the wake of the 24 hour news cycle of the "Leader" doing stupid, selfish actions and the ones who support him.
    02-13-2018 07:53 AM
    You know, some days it'd be nice to have Rue's hue. To have the ability to more comfortably make certain choices of how to enagage with and view the world.

Being at a relative disadvantage, I can understand certain dynamics, especially when those in privilege who lose the amount of power they're used and get paranoid and those who achieve a little power and get paranoid. Both situations pull on the same feelings and use the same reaction.

It's not an knock against Rue, it's just that the world is still shaped in that Western European image. Every day I'm reminded of this by going to work. As renouned and diverse as the institution I work for is, I don't have to dig too hard to find that old structure in place.

"It's not easy being green." - Kermit the Frog.
    02-13-2018 08:11 AM
    Valid point, but I have to say that it's hard to find the balance between being informed and pulling back for self-care. As you are probably aware of already, different people are affected in different ways (or even not affected) by what they consume and what they see.

You are correct, but that is also a important consideration in the wake of the 24 hour news cycle of the "Leader" doing stupid, selfish actions and the ones who support him.
    It is hard to find the balance, but if you're not from the same ethnic and classbas the current President, you don't get the luxury of living "uninformed"...

...simply because when changes happen, WE feel it first, and sometimes are the only ones impacted by it.
    02-13-2018 08:14 AM
    It is hard to find the balance, but if you're not from the same ethnic and classbas the current President, you don't get the luxury of living "uninformed"...

...simply because when changes happen, WE feel it first, and sometimes are the only ones impacted by it.
    True. I am not part of that group either way, but I am one of those people who are easily affected by it so I feel the need to pop my head in and out. Twitter informs me half of the time.

I would say that there are things that I try to keep up with that do not or will not apply to me directly but maybe someone I know. All I can try to do is to do a better job with keeping up on a daily basis at least, but Twitter does help with that to a point.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    02-13-2018 08:33 AM
    True. I am not part of that group either way, but I am one of those people who are easily affected by it so I feel the need to pop my head in and out. Twitter informs me half of the time.

I would say that there are things that I try to keep up with that do not or will not apply to me directly but maybe someone I know. All I can try to do is to do a better job with keeping up on a daily basis at least, but Twitter does help with that to a point.
    I prefer to stay informed the old school way. Social media has too much misinformation for my taste. Even with old school methods the key skill is still the same - critical thinking.
    02-13-2018 09:30 AM
    I prefer to stay informed the old school way. Social media has too much misinformation for my taste. Even with old school methods the key skill is still the same - critical thinking.
    I can get that. For me, I follow a decent number of people who are the types that quote tweet with their response. In the tweet they are quoting, they usually quote a news source link or it is from the news source's twitter account themselves. Sources are usually the Washington Post, NY Times or NPR or something local for me. It feels the same to me.

Sad to say, it is their comment that makes me decide to click or not.
    02-13-2018 09:37 AM

I'll agree on the ethnic part but think about it for a minute. How many blue-eyed, trailer living, food stamp and Medicaid milquetoast from West Virginia are getting the shaft as well? The unbelievable part is that they actually voted for him. But no, it's the lazy Black man like you or the murdering ****** Latino like me who are the root of all this country's problems. I've lived on peanut butter and jelly for long stretches but I've never taken a dime of gubment money or eaten a slice of gubment cheese. Yet I'm lumped in with the rest because my last name ends in a "z".

The same young crowd that showed up in droves to give us Obama are the same ones who stayed home and gave us this POS. The word needs to get out because living uninformed has dire consequences.
    libra89, N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-13-2018 10:19 AM
144,470 ... 56405641564256435644 ...