WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Climate change is what causes 25C days on December 31 here in SoCal.
I don't remember it being this dry and sunny back in the 90s.
We haven't received a drop of rain yet this season and the fires are raging like crazy.

I am trying to convince the Mrs for a vacation to New Zealand or Hawaii. Let's see which one wins out.
Both place should have good weather around New Year.
We've been seeing the news about the fires here. Quite devastating.

Yeah climate change is making a mess of things and nothing is really being done about it. Then there's the issue of plastic.

We did a great job of messing up the planet...

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

We've been seeing the news about the fires here. Quite devastating.

Yeah climate change is making a mess of things and nothing is really being done about it. Then there's the issue of plastic.

We did a great job of messing up the planet...
I think when Mother Nature thinks of us humans, this song is at the top of her playlist:

https://youtu.be/0P4A1K4lXDo

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Mate 10 Pro over XZ2:

1) IR blaster
2) Bigger battery, better endurance
3) Better camera
4) Better in hand feel

XZ2 over Mate 10 Pro:

1) Newer chip
2) Micro SD
3) Qi
4) Better software support

I don't own the Mate 10 Pro...yet...

Hmm that's tough! I know how important battery life, software support, camera and storage is important to you. I get why the choice is difficult now.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Mate 10 Pro over XZ2:

1) IR blaster
2) Bigger battery, better endurance
3) Better camera
4) Better in hand feel

XZ2 over Mate 10 Pro:

1) Newer chip
2) Micro SD
3) Qi
4) Better software support

I don't own the Mate 10 Pro...yet...
Not to sound like a Richard Cranium, but how can you be sure the camera is better or the battery life is better without owning it or putting it through its paces for more than a few days? I'm guessing you've held it to know the in-hand feel is better but is the rest based on reviews? A green XZ2 is on my radar and I would put more stock in your impressions than any paid reviewer.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Not to sound like a Richard Cranium, but how can you be sure the camera is better or the battery life is better without owning it or putting it through its paces for more than a few days? I'm guessing you've held it to know the in-hand feel is better but is the rest based on reviews? A green XZ2 is on my radar and I would put more stock in your impressions than any paid reviewer.
You're right. The battery and camera are very subjective. Those are projections/things that stand out to me.

Here's my context:

Battery: My Mi Mix 2 with the S835 gives me about 80% of the battery life of the the XZ2 (for my usage). This is with an older chip & slightly larger battery. EMUI is even more aggressive in its RAM management. So with another (XZ2, Mix 2 and Mate 10 Pro all use 1080P screens) 8% bigger battery, I'm projecting still better run time for the Mate 10 Pro.

Sony has always done a balanced job with their software and that impacts battery life. I'd love to see the XZ2 on 9.0 but as usual, Sony is a little slower with OTA for their dual SIMs (mine is a HK dual).

Camera: Pixel 2 still kills the XZ2, but I feel like the XZ2 gives me 75% of what I get quality wise in the Pixel 2. Sony's Super ****** mode (I meant Superior Auto) has gotten much better, but still feels a half step behind the Pixel 2. So I was fine with the hit in camera coming from a Pixel 2 to pick up the newer chip, Qi, better speakers, more RAM and bigger screen. Incidentally, the gap between the Mi Mix 2 and the XZ2 for me is even closer.

What I'm curious to see as well is how the new camera app on the XZ2 with 9.0 (first seen in the XZ3) does. This is the same app essentially I remember seeing in the Z3.

I know my usage well enough so I know how to ferret out the junk in reviews. It helps when you have access to comparatively similar devices. It helps me to to take certain areas with a grain of salt.
I doubt my hunches will change much, but we will see if I get my hands on a Mate 10 Pro.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So the first two shots with the XZ2 are shot in manual mode (default, no settings adjusted). The last one was in SA mode. Busy scenes.

I still like the output as there's a good base to tweak from.DSC_0016-01.jpegDSC_0018-01.jpegDSC_0019-01.jpeg

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I just realized something ironic. Before now, I have had distance relationships. This time around, I said that I was done with those and didn't want to do it anymore.

Yet I chose to fall for someone who has to travel for work every now and then. I found that kinda ironic to start with, knowing that leaving could be a possibility.

Now though, it feels like I'm in one again, as it's been a month and some now. A part of me wants to laugh at the irony and another part of me is like "...Seriously?!"

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I just realized something ironic. Before now, I have had distance relationships. This time around, I said that I was done with those and didn't want to do it anymore.

Yet I chose to fall for someone who has to travel for work every now and then. I found that kinda ironic to start with, knowing that leaving could be a possibility.

Now though, it feels like I'm in one again, as it's been a month and some now. A part of me wants to laugh at the irony and another part of me is like "...Seriously?!"
That stuff gets complicated. Good luck with it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

That stuff gets complicated. Good luck with it.

Thank you. I hope he'll return to the state soon because when I need to study for my finals, I will fall off and out of everything. It would be nice to spend time with him before I fall off...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I've only been to the North Island of New Zealand so could only help with that. If you do choose NZ make your way to a White Island of you can. It's an experience.
I will ping you shortly.
And yes the plan is to just tour the North island.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think I'm going to pick up a high end Huawei device. I'll put the XZ2 up for sale shortly. It's a really nice device and the green reminds me of the U11 colors. Still, there's one hardware combo out there (sans the missing 3.5mm) and the skin is semi tolerable enough for me to want to pay to play.

If any one is interested in the XZ2, pm me. Otherwise, I'll use the Pixel 2 in the interim.

Don't think I'll get another phone after this.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I think I'm going to pick up a high end Huawei device. I'll put the XZ2 up for sale shortly. It's a really nice device and the green reminds me of the U11 colors. Still, there's one hardware combo out there (sans the missing 3.5mm) and the skin is semi tolerable enough for me to want to pay to play.

If any one is interested in the XZ2, pm me. Otherwise, I'll use the Pixel 2 in the interim.

Sounds like a decision has been made. Hopefully that one will hit the spot. Good luck with selling!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

How is it with T-Mobile? That's become an issue lately more important than megabytes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon