WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

With cameras getting so fancy it would make sense to have either large storage or the availability of having SD cards and adaptive storage. Most OEMs don't allow the adaptive storage for some reason or another.
Adoptable storage has its drawbacks. See this article from Android Central. Everything you need to know about your SD card and Adoptable storage https://www.androidcentral.com/adoptable-storage

I have 64 GB internal storage, with only 27.53 GB used, since I store my photos and music on an SD card. I also back up my photos to both Google Photos (full resolution) and OneDrive. My music is backed up to my PC HDD and an external HDD.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Since we've been told to do some post padding I think I'll do a review on a TV show series I'm currently watching (sort of, I'll explain).

Some caveats:

I'm not the most prolific watcher of movies or TV shows. I'm not into the whole binge watching scene. I'm not a fan of the over the top violence/sexualisation of TV shows in general. Lastly, as this is a historical drama, I'm not really into historical dramas especially when it's far removed from history itself. Especially when it wasn't required to do so.

One last point. I'll do my best not to say any spoilers in case someone wants to watch it.
Is this a show I can watch in the USA? I don't care if it's a European show, but I would like it to be something available globally.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Since we've been told to do some post padding I think I'll do a review on a TV show series I'm currently watching (sort of, I'll explain).

Some caveats:

I'm not the most prolific watcher of movies or TV shows. I'm not into the whole binge watching scene. I'm not a fan of the over the top violence/sexualisation of TV shows in general. Lastly, as this is a historical drama, I'm not really into historical dramas especially when it's far removed from history itself. Especially when it wasn't required to do so.

One last point. I'll do my best not to say any spoilers in case someone wants to watch it.
Speaking of TV, I find it odd that one needs to purchase a TV licence in the UK. Do any other countries require such a thing? OTA TV was always free of charge here in the USA.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Review TV show Vikings

So my wife and I started watching Vikings. Mainly because my wife probably has some Viking in her history somewhere.

I've only watched up to the fourth series because the fifth is still in production and is not available on Amazon Prime. As well I'm not sure I want to continue past that.

The TV story is based on the Viking Hero Sage of Ragnar Lothbrok. A person who may or may not have existed. His sons (or those claiming to be his sons) are historical people. The TV show more or less follows his tales. There are other real historical characters in it.

Now overall the TV show does not reflect history that well. It also has messed with the real timeline of historical events and has used debatable historical references for some of the 'facts' of Viking culture so the best way to view Vikings is as entertainment. We simply don't know enough about the Vikings and what we do know is not shown correctly in this TV show.

So that's the way I'll review the show. On it's entertainment merit. I won't say too much of the story. The scenery is well shot. The acting got better as time went on. So overall it's a decent TV show.

Season one had a real nice pace to it. (9 episodes) I thought it was a bit jumpy at times and the actors were still getting into their roles so as is typical of any first season things felt a bit rough. But overall I enjoyed it. A note here that all through Vikings it's sometimes difficult to know the time frames. Something that may or may not bother you. In this season we get introduced to the English characters.

Season two again had a great pace to it. (10 episodes) Events happened quickly. Story had good movement and the acting had gotten better. I felt it had good story telling and overall the character development though still feeling a bit shallow had gotten better. Some additional Vikings and English characters are added.

Season three. Still a short series (10 episodes) but a lot happens it in. Here the French characters are added along with continued story telling of the English characters which means things jumped around a lot. This series had a lot going on in it and it's possible it was too short to fill in everything but overall it was a good series and I enjoyed it.

Season four. This is where things probably go a bit wrong. This ends up being a 20 episode series. Some rather weird plot lines happen. There are a lot of things going on and some of it just didn't make any sense and didn't add anything to the story at all. It does however in my mind end the story.

A lot of major plot points end in this series and I have to admit after the ending of this series I'm not sure I want to continue watching as I don't like many of the elements left in the story itself. I've heard that series five is similar to this series with a lot of wandering plot points that don't go anywhere.

Personally if they had kept the pace of the first three series this show probably would be a great show. As it is, it's good but not fantastic. I personally would have preferred a closer historical connection and a realistic view of Viking life. I can appreciate that they had to make things thrilling and that's perfectly fine but this complete removal from history is a bit disappointing for me.

Overall I give this a 3/5 for entertainment value.

It's worth a watch just for the scenery, general story and a bit of fun. Just don't take anything about it too seriously as it doesn't reflect history that accurately and even the story of Ragnar is not correctly portrayed.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Speaking of TV, I find it odd that one needs to purchase a TV licence in the UK. Do any other countries require such a thing? OTA TV was always free of charge here in the USA.

The TV license thing is about helping support the BBC. Other channels have advertising whereas the BBC does not. Though they do sell their shows overseas for good money. It's relatively cheap compared to cable in the USA.

In Australia there was no license for TV and it was OTA. However there was a big push for cable services.

It's the same in the UK too. Virgin and Sky have services in the UK you can sign up to.

Here in France I'm not sure about a licence as most people get a box for TV with their internet provider.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

The TV license thing is about helping support the BBC. Other channels have advertising whereas the BBC does not. Though they do sell their shows overseas for good money. It's relatively cheap compared to cable in the USA.

In Australia there was no license for TV and it was OTA. However there was a big push for cable services.

It's the same in the UK too. Virgin and Sky have services in the UK you can sign up to.

Here in France I'm not sure about a licence as most people get a box for TV with their internet provider.
Is it possible for UK residents to get a cable TV package sans BBC and avoid paying for a TV licence? Is there any free OTA TV in the UK that isn't BBC?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Is it possible for UK residents to get a cable TV package sans BBC and avoid paying for a TV licence? Is there any free OTA TV in the UK that isn't BBC?

You don't have to get a TV licence for OTA but you could be fined if you're caught using the service without one. If you have Sky or Virgin you don't need a license as it's part of the payment through Sky or Virgin.

A lot of people have gone to internet TV as well to avoid the licence fee.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Adoptable storage has its drawbacks. See this article from Android Central. Everything you need to know about your SD card and Adoptable storage https://www.androidcentral.com/adoptable-storage

I have 64 GB internal storage, with only 27.53 GB used, since I store my photos and music on an SD card. I also back up my photos to both Google Photos (full resolution) and OneDrive. My music is backed up to my PC HDD and an external HDD.

There are a few manufactures of SD cards some better than others so I'll do a good look into it.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Review TV show Vikings

So my wife and I started watching Vikings. Mainly because my wife probably has some Viking in her history somewhere.

I've only watched up to the fourth series because the fifth is still in production and is not available on Amazon Prime. As well I'm not sure I want to continue past that.

The TV story is based on the Viking Hero Sage of Ragnar Lothbrok. A person who may or may not have existed. His sons (or those claiming to be his sons) are historical people. The TV show more or less follows his tales. There are other real historical characters in it.

Now overall the TV show does not reflect history that well. It also has messed with the real timeline of historical events and has used debatable historical references for some of the 'facts' of Viking culture so the best way to view Vikings is as entertainment. We simply don't know enough about the Vikings and what we do know is not shown correctly in this TV show.

So that's the way I'll review the show. On it's entertainment merit. I won't say too much of the story. The scenery is well shot. The acting got better as time went on. So overall it's a decent TV show.

Season one had a real nice pace to it. (9 episodes) I thought it was a bit jumpy at times and the actors were still getting into their roles so as is typical of any first season things felt a bit rough. But overall I enjoyed it. A note here that all through Vikings it's sometimes difficult to know the time frames. Something that may or may not bother you. In this season we get introduced to the English characters.

Season two again had a great pace to it. (10 episodes) Events happened quickly. Story had good movement and the acting had gotten better. I felt it had good story telling and overall the character development though still feeling a bit shallow had gotten better. Some additional Vikings and English characters are added.

Season three. Still a short series (10 episodes) but a lot happens it in. Here the French characters are added along with continued story telling of the English characters which means things jumped around a lot. This series had a lot going on in it and it's possible it was too short to fill in everything but overall it was a good series and I enjoyed it.

Season four. This is where things probably go a bit wrong. This ends up being a 20 episode series. Some rather weird plot lines happen. There are a lot of things going on and some of it just didn't make any sense and didn't add anything to the story at all. It does however in my mind end the story.

A lot of major plot points end in this series and I have to admit after the ending of this series I'm not sure I want to continue watching as I don't like many of the elements left in the story itself. I've heard that series five is similar to this series with a lot of wandering plot points that don't go anywhere.

Personally if they had kept the pace of the first three series this show probably would be a great show. As it is, it's good but not fantastic. I personally would have preferred a closer historical connection and a realistic view of Viking life. I can appreciate that they had to make things thrilling and that's perfectly fine but this complete removal from history is a bit disappointing for me.

It's worth a watch just for the scenery, general story and a bit of fun. Just don't take anything about it too seriously as it doesn't reflect history that accurately and even the story of Ragnar is not correctly portrayed.
I saw the year one series... Quite good

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Another idle day..
darn those sneaky yellowjackets.. didnt even see it coming but felt the sting right through my hand gloves..

Fortunately, it was just one sting cos I do have a allergy reaction to the venom..
ffb92cfdc3938109e4b1146766f97248.jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Another idle day..
darn those sneaky yellowjackets.. didnt even see it coming but felt the sting right through my hand gloves..

Fortunately, it was just one sting cos I do have a allergy reaction to the venom..
ffb92cfdc3938109e4b1146766f97248.jpg

Oh that's not good!

My wife has the same problem.

On another point, when I read yellowjacket I thought about the yellow vest protesters here in France! I was starting to wonder if the movement made it's way there! :grin:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Review TV show Vikings

I watched seasoned one. It was OK but I never fully got into it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I watched seasoned one. It was OK but I never fully got into it.

I can totally understand that. I found it got better after series one but fell apart in series four. Four is a bit of a dogs breakfast.

It could have been better overall but there's a few things in it that just don't feel right and some of the actors didn't suit the role their playing. To me anyway.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I can totally understand that. I found it got better after series one but fell apart in series four. Four is a bit of a dogs breakfast.

It could have been better overall but there's a few things in it that just don't feel right and some of the actors didn't suit the role their playing. To me anyway.
Most shows have an issue of hanging around after they've expired.

My other half is the TV junkie, always looking for something to watch. I've noted how drastic my TV habits have changed over the years. There are shows I used to watch with her that are a chore now because I already deal with enough trauma at work and not want to see too much on TV.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes