WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
You're right. You should have better battery life on the LG phones, since you don't use them as much as I used mine.

I don't have to worry about the battery on the S10+, and I have the screen resolution at WQHD+, and have at least 4 hours SOT, frequently 6 hours SOT. It doesn't get below 50% battery charge with that usage.
I kinda get that with the Mate 20 Pro. The Axon 10 Pro looks nice and packs a lot under the hood, but it's another curved screen.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I kinda get that with the Mate 20 Pro. The Axon 10 Pro looks nice and packs a lot under the hood, but it's another curved screen.
I didn't think I'd like a curved screen, but I'm not experiencing any difficulties with the screen on the S10+.

Does the Mate 20 Pro support wireless charging? I used wireless charging with my Nokia Lumia 920, then didn't have it with either Moto or the LG V20. I pretty much forgot about wireless charging, but now that I'm using the S10+, I'm using wireless charging again and love the convenience it offers.

Does the Axon 10 Pro support wireless charging?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I didn't think I'd like a curved screen, but I'm not experiencing any difficulties with the screen on the S10+.

Does the Mate 20 Pro support wireless charging? I used wireless charging with my Nokia Lumia 920, then didn't have it with either Moto or the LG V20. I pretty much forgot about wireless charging, but now that I'm using the S10+, I'm using wireless charging again and love the convenience it offers.

Does the Axon 10 Pro support wireless charging?
Both the Axon 10 Pro and Mate 20 Pro support Qi. Mate 20 Pro first talked up reverse wireless charging.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. Well, we will see. I still like the Xperia 5. I do know that I will add a Xiaomi into the collection. Just not sure what I'll use as a daily driver.

I do like the Note 10 this year.
Note 10 was out of the picture for me due to requirement of #donglelife. No Sony for me, since I have Verizon. I'm curious about the Xiaomi, since I'm not familiar with their phones. Which model are you considering?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Note 10 was out of the picture for me due to requirement of #donglelife. No Sony for me, since I have Verizon. I'm curious about the Xiaomi, since I'm not familiar with their phones. Which model are you considering?
That I'm not even going to use as a daily driver. If I was going that route, it would be a Mi 9T. What I'm looking at is a 5G model. The problem is a can only find it in 64GB. But it's for under $350 new, so it's tempting even with that tiny *** amount of storage.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That I'm not even going to use as a daily driver. If I was going that route, it would be a Mi 9T. What I'm looking at is a 5G model. The problem is a can only find it in 64GB. But it's for under $350 new, so it's tempting even with that tiny *** amount of storage.
Does it have an SD card slot? I wouldn't consider a 64 GB model unless one were available. That is a great price, though.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I can consider a phone without the 3.5mm as I'm going to have at least one LG permanently. I like what Sony and Xiaomi are doing sound wise. So I'd be willing to sacrifice Qi on a Xperia 5.

Again, am just spit balling. Out side of adding that Xiaomi, but that's a collection model, not a daily driver - even if I can get 5G.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Does it have an SD card slot? I wouldn't consider a 64 GB model unless one were available. That is a great price, though.
No SD card slot. Again, that's why it wouldn't be a daily driver, moreso a collection piece because it will be as hard to find in this variant as the jade special edition of its original version.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I can consider a phone without the 3.5mm as I'm going to have at least one LG permanently. I like what Sony and Xiaomi are doing sound wise. So I'd be willing to sacrifice Qi on a Xperia 5.

Again, am just spit balling. Out side of adding that Xiaomi, but that's a collection model, not a daily driver - even if I can get 5G.
That makes sense. I didn't think I'd like Samsung, compared to LG for audio, but I've been pleasantly surprised.
No SD card slot. Again, that's why it wouldn't be a daily driver, moreso a collection piece because it will be as hard to find in this variant as the jade special edition of its original version.
What colour is the Xiaomi? That's a bummer it's limited to 64 GB and doesn't support SD cards.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That makes sense. I didn't think I'd like Samsung, compared to LG for audio, but I've been pleasantly surprised. What colour is the Xiaomi? That's a bummer it's limited to 64 GB and doesn't support SD cards.
This one is blue. Which means another blue phone if I get it.

I'm still sleeping on it though.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Since we're talking about phones.

Just got the October update. Yeah Sony has been a bit slack.

However, it looks like they finally fixed the fingerprint scanner. It appears to be working a lot better.

I haven't looked into the camera much but it did seem quicker as well.

So all good.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Last night we tried a new recipe.

This is a vegan tagliatelle with scallops and cream sauce.

The scallops are king oyster mushrooms. You marinate them to make them a bit fishy tasting.

DSC_0137-01.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Since we're talking about phones.

Just got the October update. Yeah Sony has been a bit slack.

However, it looks like they finally fixed the fingerprint scanner. It appears to be working a lot better.

I haven't looked into the camera much but it did seem quicker as well.

So all good.
That's good to hear. Believe it or not, I got the November update from Samsung on 1 November.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That looks good. Do you have a version of the recipe that includes real scallops?

Not much too it really.

Creamy Scallop pasta

Get a large deep fry pan on medium high heat and sear scallops (quantity up to you, don't over crowd pan) in butter (or butter sub) about 1-2 mins per side. Don't over cook otherwise they get tough.

At the same time boil tagliatelle or spaghetti or fettuccine (check cooking time for pasta)

Remove the scallops and in the same pan on medium high heat
Add butter
1 finely chopped onion until soft
1 chopped courgette (zucchini) until slightly browned (or any other veggie if you prefer)
2 cloves of garlic
Add 2 teaspoons of small capers and and about 2 teaspoons of brine (adjust to your liking) cook for about 1 min (you can chop the capers if you want more of a sauce)
Add white wine about 1/4 cup (adjust to your liking) this will 'clean the pan' and add flavour, cook for about 2 mins or until alcohol has evaporated

Turn down heat to medium
Add 1 cup of cream (adjust to the quantity of pasta you are making you don't want too much)
Add 1 teaspoon of powdered fish stock or 1 fish stock cube (make sure cube is dissolved)

Check taste

Salt and pepper to taste
Add fresh chopped parsley

Taste sauce, add salt, pepper or capers according to your taste or anything else that you think will suit.

Drain pasta when done to your liking
Add pasta to the fry pan and mix well
Add scallops to warm up (keep some out if you want a photo and top the pasta with them, like we did)

Put in bowl and top with some fresh parsley

Enjoy

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Not much too it really.

Creamy Scallop pasta

Get a large deep fry pan on medium high heat and sear scallops (quantity up to you, don't over crowd pan) in butter (or butter sub) about 1-2 mins per side. Don't over cook otherwise they get tough.

At the same time boil tagliatelle or spaghetti or fettuccine (check cooking time for pasta)

Remove the scallops and in the same pan on medium high heat
Add butter
Finely chopped onion until soft
Chopped courgette (zucchini) until slightly browned (or any other veggie if you prefer)
Add a teaspoon of capers and and about two teaspoons of brine (adjust to your liking) cook for about 1 min
Add white wine about 1/4 cup (adjust to your liking) this will 'clean the pan' and add flavour, cook for about 2 mins

Turn down heat to medium
Add 1 cup of cream (adjust to the quantity of pasta you are making you don't want too much)
Add 1 teaspoon of powdered fish stock or 1 fish stock cube (make sure cube is dissolved)

Check taste

Salt and pepper to taste
Add fresh chopped parsley

Taste sauce, add salt, pepper or capers according to your taste or anything else that you think will suit.

Drain pasta when done to your liking
Add pasta to the fry pan and mix well
Add scallops to warm up (keep some out if you want a photo and top the pasta with them, like we did)

Put in bowl and top with some fresh parsley

Enjoy
Thanks! I wouldn't necessarily use dairy products, but I do love seafood. I might try the vegetarian version, though, since I love mushrooms. It might be interesting to try the recipe with a mix of scallops and mushrooms.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! I wouldn't necessarily use dairy products, but I do love seafood. I might try the vegetarian version, though, since I love mushrooms. It might be interesting to try the recipe with a mix of scallops and mushrooms.

We use oat cream and non dairy butter that taste like butter.

You can use scallops and mushrooms together we did think of adding regular mushrooms but decided against it.

If you plan to use the king oyster mushrooms I highly recommend you marinate them for about 20 mins. You can search for other methods but this will work.

Marinade
2 tablespoons of fish stock (you can buy a veggie version if you want)
About a 1/4 cup of water so it's more of a loose paste than a stock
Minced garlic
Salt

Add the remaining marinade to the dish when you're making it. Add just after the wine.

I forgot the garlic in the original recipe but have since added it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon