WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking along the lines of Nikon and Canon or even Sony. All make great DSLRs.

Great photos begin with the photographer thinking about the shot they want to achieve. There's an art to it and a vision to the end product. They'll take 10-20 shots of the same subject then choose one or two for the end product.

Most people don't think too much about the shot and just want a picture. That's the difference. Just taking a shot doesn't produce a good picture normally and it doesn't matter how good your camera is.
Yep! Back when it was SLR (35mm), it was Nikon, Canon and Pentax.

That's precisely the case. I've always thought about rule of thirds or golden ratio prior to taking shots. I've also burned through a roll of 24 or 36 taking multiple shots of the same subject using different exposures in hopes of capturing the perfect shot (which frequently didn't happen).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Climate change is most likely the cause of this erratic weather.

According to climate science it is. Unfortunately there's people who are happy to accept lots of science (and use lots of it) but are happy to ignore the bits they don't like or believe to be wrong, regardless of the data and information available.

Climate science predicts pretty much all of this. Extreme weather events are part of it. The cold weather in the USA. The hot dry weather in Australia causing the fires or the floods in Venice. This is all part of climate science and the predictions within it. Most science is conservative with their analysis so truth is things are likely a lot worse.

Unfortunately we're still living in a world of growth capitalism which doesn't think about climate as part of their impact analysis. It's all about producing more and higher growth. That's a recipe for disaster. We live in a closed loop environment. All our products that we make should respect that idea. Lots of companies are happy to display their 'green' credentials but few actually care. It's an image thing and nothing more.

Too many people are living with their heads in the sand because it's easier than dealing with things. Whether purposely or accidentally (and being used for others advantage) we've created a lifestyle that overwhelms us to the point we need distractions and we lose sight of the real issues. Hence the world we live in now. The world in general is a mess and it's one we've created.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
According to climate science it is. Unfortunately there's people who are happy to accept lots of science (and use lots of it) but are happy to ignore the bits they don't like or believe to be wrong, regardless of the data and information available.

Climate science predicts pretty much all of this. Extreme weather events are part of it. The cold weather in the USA. The hot dry weather in Australia causing the fires or the floods in Venice. This is all part of climate science and the predictions within it. Most science is conservative with their analysis so truth is things are likely a lot worse.

Unfortunately we're still living in a world of growth capitalism which doesn't think about climate as part of their impact analysis. It's all about producing more and higher growth. That's a recipe for disaster. We live in a closed loop environment. All our products that we make should respect that idea. Lots of companies are happy to display their 'green' credentials but few actually care. It's an image thing and nothing more.

Too many people are living with their heads in the sand because it's easier than dealing with things. Whether purposely or accidentally (and being used for others advantage) we've created a lifestyle that overwhelms us to the point we need distractions and we lose sight of the real issues. Hence the world we live in now. The world in general is a mess and it's one we've created.
https://youtu.be/b5raRV9k8AE

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It's very interesting the switch for carrier branded phones and software updates. I remember living factory unlocked for some of the notorious offenders was the fastest way to current. Now, the carrier branded models are better supported.

As of this week, my branded V40 is on the October 2019 security patch. Which by their standards is damn good. I've been only a month behind on security updates since owning the phone. Meanwhile, the G7+ is months behind...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

On the plus side, this is great iPadding weather, provided you can avoid the chore of diaper changes in a few months...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
On the plus side, this is great iPadding weather, provided you can avoid the chore of diaper changes in a few months...

It's pretty cold here at the moment. Not sure about plus sides to climate change and freezing inside a poorly insulated house...

The likelihood of my needing to change diapers any time in the future, regardless of the quantity of iPadding, is ZERO. :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Watched a video and the comment section has comments from others like me (people who share a part of my experience, the least common part), and it makes me wonder if it's worth it to be with someone. Idealistically, yes, it is but is it worth my personal trade offs? Is it worth possibly considering having a child for the sake of the other person, since that is what it will be?

That's all I can say. I'll have to wait to develop this in ~5 hours, elsewhere.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It's pretty cold here at the moment. Not sure about plus sides to climate change and freezing inside a poorly insulated house...

The likelihood of my needing to change diapers any time in the future, regardless of the quantity of iPadding, is ZERO. :)
I had such a comment flashed in my head that if I posted it, I'd spend Christmas in Laura's doghouse - no one has time for that with that wind whipping in off the lake.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Stop flaunting your position of privilege in the thread (heavy sarcasm alert). Some of us have to be cognizant of the diaper issue...

...and like you, I'm not one of those people.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Watched a video and the comment section has comments from others like me (people who share a part of my experience, the least common part), and it makes me wonder if it's worth it to be with someone. Idealistically, yes, it is but is it worth my personal trade offs? Is it worth possibly considering having a child for the sake of the other person, since that is what it will be?

The better experts here can jump in...

...I can only state where it's very few people in relationships have found 100% of what they wanted from the other people. It seems to be about staying in the tradeoffs that's are being made. Some are logical and straightforward, otherwise are emotional and don't always make sense.

Stay in tune and it will make figuring this out easier.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The better experts here can jump in...

...I can only state where it's very few people in relationships have found 100% of what they wanted from the other people. It seems to be about staying in the tradeoffs that's are being made. Some are logical and straightforward, otherwise are emotional and don't always make sense.

Stay in tune and it will make figuring this out easier.

Thank you for this viewpoint. That does give me a little bit of hope.

I'll try to do that. It just seems extra hard with life changing decisions. Small things aren't really a huge deal to me, unless it adds up to really be an issue.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Relationships is about trade offs and compromise. The thing you have to determine is what your willing to do with both. What are your red lines and what is flexible.

There's a lot other factors involved with this of course but you need to think from your personal perspective about what matters to you. Don't get bullied into doing things you don't want to do. Be who you are and find the person who is willing to accept most of that. That's not an easy task but it's very possible even in today's messed up dating scene.

I'm not one that believes in the fairy tale love that's often displayed in books and movies. Our biology plays a big role in producing that mental state that happens during what's called 'first blush'. It lasts for about two years. Real relationships take work, compromise and trade offs. Love is acceptance of the other person's differences from your own and finding the common ground to keep the relationship together.

That's my point of view anyway.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So just a quick update of life at the moment.

Yesterday we went to look at a potential house to rent. We liked it, told the agent we wanted it immediately (saying this to hopefully work to our advantage) and things seem good at the moment. However, this is France. The land of tick-boxes and paperwork. The land that wants to progress to the future but is still stuck in the past in a lot of ways. One of them being rental agreements. There's many others but I'm trying to stay on topic.

So even though we like it, the agent needs to send our paperwork to an assessor to determine if we're worthy of having this rental. Assessment is based on our paperwork with I guess some input from the agent but mostly our paperwork.

At this stage I can't say one way or the other what our chances are. Due to the ideology of rentals outside of Paris City, most want rental candidates to have a permanent full time job (yeah really) and been living in France for at least 3 years with taxes to prove it. So no idea what our chances at this moment with our measly one year tax return and contract jobs.

It's possible they may want a couple of things that will get us over the line and we may be able to work with that but I don't know. Also the owner has some say about this as well. They may like the idea of a mature couple having the house.

Anyway, it's a waiting game.

We sent off our notice to vacate our current rental to the owners in Canada. We leave Dec 10th. The system here is a bit ridiculous but they seemed to have agreed to our date so I personally don't care. They haven't exactly followed the rules either and I'll be happy to point this out to them if they wan to contest things.

Lastly we're heading back to our farm to sort things out prior to the winter. We have no plans to head back during the coldest months if we can avoid it.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
So just a quick update of life at the moment.

Yesterday we went to look at a potential house to rent. We liked it, told the agent we wanted it immediately (saying this to hopefully work to our advantage) and things seem good at the moment. However, this is France. The land of tick-boxes and paperwork. The land that wants to progress to the future but is still stuck in the past in a lot of ways. One of them being rental agreements. There's many others but I'm trying to stay on topic.

So even though we like it, the agent needs to send our paperwork to an assessor to determine if we're worthy of having this rental. Assessment is based on our paperwork with I guess some input from the agent but mostly our paperwork.

At this stage I can't say one way or the other what our chances are. Due to the ideology of rentals outside of Paris City, most want rental candidates to have a permanent full time job (yeah really) and been living in France for at least 3 years with taxes to prove it. So no idea what our chances at this moment with our measly one year tax return and contract jobs.

It's possible they may want a couple of things that will get us over the line and we may be able to work with that but I don't know. Also the owner has some say about this as well. They may like the idea of a mature couple having the house.

Anyway, it's a waiting game.

We sent off our notice to vacate our current rental to the owners in Canada. We leave Dec 10th. The system here is a bit ridiculous but they seemed to have agreed to our date so I personally don't care. They haven't exactly followed the rules either and I'll be happy to point this out to them if they wan to contest things.

Lastly we're heading back to our farm to sort things out prior to the winter. We have no plans to head back during the coldest months if we can avoid it.
Good luck with landing the new lease!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Some pictures from Old town San Juan near the Governor's mansion which was the scene of some pretty large protests a few months ago when Puerto Ricans kicked out governor Ricardo Rosello.

7d4a08350756a3efd3210fe7afc13cd6.jpg
76ecaa9d7ed6f555096f0e9fd901d5a4.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes