Who else watched at least part of the Evolution/Creationism debate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I only got to watch the last 40 minutes or so. What did you guys think of it?

PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL! If some can't handle themselves appropriately, I will close the thread myself.

Last edited:

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Every internet video that even hints at religion turns into a creationism/atheist debate, so mase123987, could you please tell me which debate you're talking about?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Every internet video that even hints at religion turns into a creationism/atheist debate, so mase123987, could you please tell me which debate you're talking about?

I would argue it is less about creationism/atheist debate as literal bible interpretation vs scientific discovery debate.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It's all about faith. Faith in your belief or faith in your science. I actually don't believe that those two are mutually exclusive.

I think the discussion has to be had about Intelligent Design vs. Evolution before you delve deeper into the possibilities.of the different kinds of Intelligent Designs.

People take for granted something like Mount Rushmore as obviously intelligently designed, and might actually mock you if you suggested it was a natural formation. But yet it seems the thought of the human race being intelligently designed gets you mocked, even though we are the most complex organism that we know of, millions of times more complex than Mount Rushmore.

Or, think of this, take a plastic airplane model, toss an unopened tube of model glue in the box, no matter the natural forces applied to the box, how long so you suppose it would take for it to come out fully assembled?

I think it's terribly naive of us to not even consider intelligent design, because to me, it seems the more logical explanation than just popping into existence and evolving into the most complex machines we all are.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It's all about faith. Faith in your belief or faith in your science. I actually don't believe that those two are mutually exclusive.

I think the discussion has to be had about Intelligent Design vs. Evolution before you delve deeper into the possibilities.of the different kinds of Intelligent Designs.

People take for granted something like Mount Rushmore as obviously intelligently designed, and might actually mock you if you suggested it was a natural formation. But yet it seems the thought of the human race being intelligently designed gets you mocked, even though we are the most complex organism that we know of, millions of times more complex than Mount Rushmore.

Or, think of this, take a plastic airplane model, toss an unopened tube of model glue in the box, no matter the natural forces applied to the box, how long so you suppose it would take for it to come out fully assembled?

I think it's terribly naive of us to not even consider intelligent design, because to me, it seems the more logical explanation than just popping into existence and evolving into the most complex machines we all are.

To your model plane example: This is only relevant if one "toss of the box" applies to everything. I am pretty sure that there are billions of empty planets for the exact reason that everything has to go JUST right for life to form.

I think it would not be smart to consider intelligent design without the slightest shred of evidence.

What Bill was getting at tonight is that Science doesn't have an end game. It isn't there to prove a point. It is there is answer questions. To get why things are the way they are. Ken was there to say the Bible is exactly correct on facts, and if evidence suggests otherwise, the evidence isn't correct.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
To your model plane example: This is only relevant if one "toss of the box" applies to everything. I am pretty sure that there are billions of empty planets for the exact reason that everything has to go JUST right for life to form.

I think it would not be smart to consider intelligent design without the slightest shred of evidence.

What Bill was getting at tonight is that Science doesn't have an end game. It isn't there to prove a point. It is there is answer questions. To get why things are the way they are. Ken was there to say the Bible is exactly correct on facts, and if evidence suggests otherwise, the evidence isn't correct.

The evidence is within everyone of us and in the mathematics of the universe.

That's like a religious person being rescued from a disaster and refusing it because they're waiting for God.

We deny the simple examples all around us.

As soon as we figure out 'just right' and can prove that, there is no fact, only belief/faith.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The evidence is within everyone of us and in the mathematics of the universe.

That's like a religious person being rescued from a disaster and refusing it because they're waiting for God.

We deny the simple examples all around us.

As soon as we figure out 'just right' and can prove that, there is no fact, only belief/faith.

Because something is complicated, that does not mean it had to be designed. It simply means it is complicated.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just want someone to explain consciousness & how we came to have it as our bodies are amazing complex electro organic machines which can be explained. How does science explain ones conscious?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I just want someone to explain consciousness & how we came to have it as our bodies are amazing complex electro organic machines which can be explained. How does science explain ones conscious?

Because we don't know something, that doesn't mean God/Intelligent being created it. It means we don't know yet. That is it.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Because we don't know something, that doesn't mean God/Intelligent being created it. It means we don't know yet. That is it.

So you're saying you have faith in science then, quite like religion. But, it also doesn't mean a God didn't design it either.

In fact, even if we did somehow find out how it all works, still doesn't mean a God didn't make it. It is the unanswerable question.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Your argument of saying just because we don't know doesn't mean it's a God. That's a terrible argument, because then inverse also applies.

I've said my peace though, interesting topic that is highly divided, but luckily, we can all still live happily together. 😊

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Your argument of saying just because we don't know doesn't mean it's a God. That's a terrible argument, because then inverse also applies.

That has been my point from the beginning. This isn't a God v Science debate. It is a Biblical literal interpretation vs theory based on scientific discovery.

I could argue though that the idea of God hasn't been proven in any sense. It isn't any different than Zeus as a God. Therefore, it isn't logical to say it is a possibility. Real problem is that you can't disprove something that isn't provable.

I like to think that I am smart enough to know what I don't know.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, the literal interpretation of the Bible is pointless argument, have you seen the number of editions of the bible? 😊

But, saying that there is no means to and end with science is complete BS. We are all trying to figure out how and why we are here and what for, science more so than any other faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers