02-20-2015 05:29 PM
295 ... 9101112
tools
    I wonder how you get them to zoom in.
    Attached Thumbnails zoomvision.jpg  
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-05-2015 07:59 AM
    I wonder how you get them to zoom in.
    Here's some information for that - BBC News - Contact lenses bestow telescopic vision

I had a feeling it wasn't straightforward. :P
    02-05-2015 08:08 AM
    It was just a year or two ago, that the sect in Tennessee (or maybe it was Kentucky) that talk in tongue and have their ceremony with rattlesnakes was in the news for letting another kid die due to a rattlesnake bite. How they read some 2000 year old scripture about a serpent and translate that into a rattlesnake, then refuse to treat a rattlesnake bite because the bite was the will of their deity, is beyond my comprehension. Even being as non-confrontational as possible with these sects, like saying, "why don't you be a little more open minded", brings a fire and brimstone response. I have no idea how one could possibly get through to some of these sects. Even when they're confronted with indisputable science they don't believe it.
    That 2000 year old book and other books of that sort which are still being used today are all problematic.

If you're interested in the snake thing there appears to be three specific passages they use. Snake handling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Snake handler cults are but a drop in a very vast ocean of ignorance. In most western world countries we have the issue of creationists (not just Christian) with their 6000 or 10,000 year old philosophies and rapture ready nonsense entering governments and pushing their ideas regardless how stupid they are and there are many who agree with them. They're not all in the US... even thought it feels that way sometimes. Let's not discuss ID science...

Then you have all the other religions and superstitions out there in other parts of the world and you can't help but wonder when we're ever going to get out of the dark ages...
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 02-05-2015 at 08:36 AM.
    02-05-2015 08:16 AM
    It was just a year or two ago, that the sect in Tennessee (or maybe it was Kentucky) that talk in tongue and have their ceremony with rattlesnakes was in the news for letting another kid die due to a rattlesnake bite. How they read some 2000 year old scripture about a serpent and translate that into a rattlesnake, then refuse to treat a rattlesnake bite because the bite was the will of their deity, is beyond my comprehension. Even being as non-confrontational as possible with these sects, like saying, "why don't you be a little more open minded", brings a fire and brimstone response. I have no idea how one could possibly get through to some of these sects. Even when they're confronted with indisputable science they don't believe it.
    I remember that. I try to respect the beliefs of others, but, in that instance, two words come to mind: "stupid" and "murder". It's unfortunate that children stuck in that environment suffer helplessly because their parents are delusional. Children should not be forced to adhere to adult fantasies and delusions that carry such grave consequences. I find it humorous when biblical literalists make the news for tragic situations such as this, because the everyday, patriotic Christian, god's real chosen few, are just as distressed by the news as non-believers and other common folk. Situations like this point out that even the people who say they really believe and pray for material things, health, and christmas presents really, deep down, don't believe it. lol It takes a real believer to do what "radical" Christians do. Everyday Christians waste their time hoping god will deliver everyday prayers, while the true, "bible is the word of god" believers are willing to kill their children in his name. Sounds like a story right out of the good book. Ha ha ha
    N_LaRUE, palandri and Guytronic like this.
    02-05-2015 09:04 AM
    Everyday Christians waste their time hoping god will deliver everyday prayers, while the true, "bible is the word of god" believers are willing to kill their children in his name. Sounds like a story right out of the good book. Ha ha ha
    I'm sure you're like me and know that many many 'Christians' will be startled by the amount of child killing, hatred of women and genocide that actually exists in the bible. Most have brush off excuses for it though.

Let's not forget that the Abrahamic religions are based on a guy keen on killing his son in the name of his 'god', whoever that was, and knew very well how to go about doing so.

I try not to get into the 'no true Scotsman' argument about who the real 'insert religious sect' is. It's all nonsense as far as I'm concerned.

I'm all for allowing people to do what they want on a Sunday or any other day for that matter as an adult. I just ask one favour in return. They do the same for me and keep their nonsense out of my every day life. :)
    02-05-2015 09:14 AM
    I wish that I weren't at work! ha ha ha I could discuss this all day. :) I'll be sending out a flurry of responses this afternoon. ha ha ha
    N_LaRUE, palandri and Guytronic like this.
    02-05-2015 09:27 AM
    I wish that I weren't at work! ha ha ha I could discuss this all day. :) I'll be sending out a flurry of responses this afternoon. ha ha ha
    Half the fun is having people object to your statements though.
    02-05-2015 10:45 AM
    Half the fun is having people object to your statements though.
    True, true....as much as I love a good argument, I also like a good agreement. It's nice to be in the company of similarly-minded folks. :)
    Guytronic, N_LaRUE and palandri like this.
    02-05-2015 11:38 AM
    I'm sure you're like me and know that many many 'Christians' will be startled by the amount of child killing, hatred of women and genocide that actually exists in the bible. Most have brush off excuses for it though.

That's only if they actually read the bible. lol All you really have to do is look at the social conditions found in the middle east, and you can find the bible and all of its problems in action...minus all of the hocus pocus, of course. �� But, most people have only skimmed through the tame bits or listened to their pastor's interpretations of the bible. Few have actually read all of it. It's quite a chore to get through, in my opinion. It took me an entire year to get through it. lol

Let's not forget that the Abrahamic religions are based on a guy keen on killing his son in the name of his 'god', whoever that was, and knew very well how to go about doing so.

I've always been fascinated by the fact that people have convinced themselves that Abraham should be glorified for that. They compartmentalize the fact that he was going to kill his son, and cover it up with the idea that Abraham's love and devotion to god was very strong....so strong, in fact, that god stopped him in the nick of time. hahaha Too bad he has never stepped in at the nick of time for the millions of amputees around the world.

I try not to get into the 'no true Scotsman' argument about who the real 'insert religious sect' is. It's all nonsense as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, it's a waste of time. However, in my profession, I have to keep my views out of every conversation at work and outside of work for fear that someone would throw a fit. It bugs me that I'm kept silent by hypocrites. If those people actually lived the way they say they live (and the way they accuse me of not living), I'd have less of an issue.

I'm all for allowing people to do what they want on a Sunday or any other day for that matter as an adult. I just ask one favour in return. They do the same for me and keep their nonsense out of my every day life. :)
    Last edited by Scienceguy Labs; 02-05-2015 at 05:01 PM.
    palandri and Guytronic like this.
    02-05-2015 03:08 PM
    Although the start of this thread was intended to look beyond what we know now in science and even question certain established sciency things , I want to stay away from getting so science fringe that we end up trying to justify religion or deny the usefulness of science. I also didn't want this to become so sciency technical that we end up bashing religion. Lets have fun with this. This is where we can find a connection to both and have a little fun with our analysis. Bigfoot, Aliens, Loch Ness and Time travel all have their foot in both camps and the usual literary brawl is quite entertaining. I also like discoveries that disturb the well established timelines of our history (artifacts waaay older than what we were supposedly capable creating of for the time kinda stuff). Think "Ancient Aliens" but without the overall batshat crazy premise and dude with crazy hair. (AA is so entertaining though...)

As far as the space posts...I'm totally a space geek. You may proceed.

Debates are welcome, jokes are encouraged and name calling is only allowed if its hilarious.
    sahib lopez likes this.
    02-05-2015 06:38 PM
    Although the start of this thread was intended to look beyond what we know now in science and even question certain established sciency things , I want to stay away from getting so science fringe that we end up trying to justify religion or deny the usefulness of science. I also didn't want this to become so sciency technical that we end up bashing religion. Lets have fun with this. This is where we can find a connection to both and have a little fun with our analysis. Bigfoot, Aliens, Loch Ness and Time travel all have their foot in both camps and the usual literary brawl is quite entertaining. I also like discoveries that disturb the well established timelines of our history (artifacts waaay older than what we were supposedly capable creating of for the time kinda stuff). Think "Ancient Aliens" but without the overall batshat crazy premise and dude with crazy hair. (AA is so entertaining though...)

Debates are welcome, jokes are encouraged and name calling is only allowed if its hilarious.
    Oh, come on. It was just getting fun. lol :P
    Only kidding. I totally understand. My posts above represent a weak moment in my life of social conformity. ha ha ha
    This has been a great thread though. :)
    Last edited by Scienceguy Labs; 02-05-2015 at 08:19 PM.
    N_LaRUE and Guytronic like this.
    02-05-2015 06:53 PM
    Although the start of this thread was intended to look beyond what we know now in science and even question certain established sciency things , I want to stay away from getting so science fringe that we end up trying to justify religion or deny the usefulness of science.
    There's lots we don't know. Biggest mistake that people make is assuming science has all the answers where really we're simply at the 50% mark, though there is lots that is well established and unlikely to change. Other problem is of course is knowing how to question establish science. Most people assume unanswered means we won't have answers and like to use other answers instead. More often those same people don't like the answers when they are known. Just a point, I've yet to hear in the 43 years I've been alive any coherent justification for the supernatural of any sort.

I also didn't want this to become so sciency technical that we end up bashing religion. Lets have fun with this. This is where we can find a connection to both and have a little fun with our analysis. Bigfoot, Aliens, Loch Ness and Time travel all have their foot in both camps and the usual literary brawl is quite entertaining.
    Bashing religion is too easy. :P

As for that list, I'm not sure what you mean by 'feet in both camps' thing. Pretty much all those things are discredited. Only fools stick to those things.

I also like discoveries that disturb the well established timelines of our history (artifacts waaay older than what we were supposedly capable creating of for the time kinda stuff). Think "Ancient Aliens" but without the overall batshat crazy premise and dude with crazy hair. (AA is so entertaining though...)

You'll have to enlighten me to what artefacts you're referring to. The most interesting one I've heard of lately is this based on real archaeology:

Gbekli Tepe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for AA, I don't know if I can deal with pseudo science. Makes my blood boil when I'm not laughing at the stupidity of it. It just seems to justify ignorance of real science and help keep the conspiracy theories going. AA is a prefect representation of our fanciful thinking and the massaging of our egos. Yes we are that important that aliens would want to visit us! It's really no different than belief in the supernatural, whatever that belief may be.

Reality is simply wonderful and good enough for me, unfortunately many seem to want more.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 02-06-2015 at 09:56 AM.
    02-06-2015 05:42 AM
    This is pretty cool. A continuous Earth selfie.....and I really feel bad about myself for using that term. lol
    Moving on..... It's also quite awesome that there are places like this that exist in space, and that we understand them: the L1 Lagrange point, where the gravity of the Earth and the sun cancel each other out. Very awe-inspiring picture of the Earth too. And to think that the planet upon which we live is really just like a grain of sand sailing through the cosmos. Awesome!

Ps....To my friends from around the globe: I did not intentionally use a picture of Earth showing only the US as a way to imply any patriotic message. :) It was the one that was in the article. Sorry if it offends. I guess I could post an image from a Flat Earth-est website to cover all nationalities. ha ha ha ha :)

Satellite Set To Stream Daily Images Of Earth From Space : NPR

globe_west_2048_sq-3c11e252772de81daba7366935eb7bd4512036b8-s800-c85.jpg
    palandri, Guytronic and N_LaRUE like this.
    02-06-2015 06:41 PM
    02-06-2015 06:49 PM
    Lawl x2...

Maybe a daily selfie of the whole Earth would make us think more about how delicate and vulnerable we really are.
    Perhaps in the galactic scope we as denizens of the planet may just be less than important.
    Scienceguy Labs and horseybob like this.
    02-06-2015 07:02 PM
    Agreed. The only thing we can see from that distance is Earth...no people, no war, nothing to suggest that we are there slowly destroying it. Thinking about our little existence compared to the rest of the universe is oddly comforting to me for some reason. I think it solidifies, in my head, the fact that we are just a tiny, unnecessary piece of a gigantic "thing"...it keeps my arrogance in check and my appreciation for life at the forefront of my thoughts.
    Guytronic and N_LaRUE like this.
    02-06-2015 07:16 PM
    "keeps my arrogance in check and my appreciation for life at the forefront of my thoughts"
    I'm going to steal these words!
    Should post this in the quotes thread under, "Us against the universe!"
    02-06-2015 07:36 PM
    Haha!

As for that list, I'm not sure what you mean by 'feet in both camps' thing. Pretty much all those things are discredited. Only fools stick to those things.
    Both camps meaning the possibility is still there because we have precedence (supposed long extinct animals still being found alive today) and supposedly more reliable witnesses reporting sightings. I still believe they are all very minute possibilities and I also think the Loch Ness/Bigfoot initial famous sightings were proven to be hoaxes but you get what I'm saying. A Kracken is a good example. There are example of giant squids and many examples of ridiculously giant versions of things freakishly growing beyond the norm. The likelyhood of a HUGE kracken like squid...possible. Finding one...even less likely. Recording one after finding it....even less likely. Surviving the encounter after recording it and uploading it to youbtube...even less likely. Random trolls discrediting you on youtube...VERY likely...but its still possible no matter how minute.

I look at these things like this: 99.99% of the sightings and photos can be explained by human error or outright lying. That means .01% is still up for grabs. In terms of the scale of the Earth, .000000000001% is still substantial. In terms of the scale of the universe, .0^(1 million)1% is more than enough.

In a somewhat cliche' way, almost anything is possible. The only 100% surety is me not losing 15 pounds that I so desperately need.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-06-2015 07:59 PM
    @Guytronic
    Nice of you to say. I try to get that message across to my students every day. I try to tell them that it's ok to know that our existence is of little importance in the grand scheme of things...the universe. But in our neck of the cosmos, we have an opportunity. While we are here, we have this chance to help create a better way of living for ourselves and everyone around us. It makes living a positive, memorable life that much more of a worthwhile task....we only get one shot at this. Might as well make it worthwhile. Some get it, I hope. :)
    02-06-2015 08:00 PM
    02-07-2015 07:40 PM
    Recently, I paid to have my genetic ancestry mapped by 23andMe. The results were expected....I posted a screenshot. The main reason that I wanted to do this was to learn how much, if any, Neanderthal DNA was hidden within. :) After a month or so, I got the results: 2.6% Neanderthal! Yes!!! I, along with many others, am living proof that our ancestors once mated with Neanderthals. How cool is that!?!?
    Has anyone else had this done?

screenshot-6-.png
    02-07-2015 07:52 PM
    Interesting result Scienceguy!

I, along with many others, am living proof that our ancestors once mated with Neanderthals.
    I have neighbors here that are living proof sans any testing.

Frankly I'm almost sure they are still mating with neanderthals.

Scary bunch...
    02-07-2015 07:59 PM

Scary bunch...
    Ha ha... but you're giving my ancestors a bad name. :P
    02-07-2015 08:04 PM

Scary bunch...
    We may live in the same neighborhood, albeit virtually.. I have no question in my mind as to where the legends of the trolls came from. Can definitely see that I may spend some time perusing this thread.
    02-07-2015 08:39 PM
    We may live in the same neighborhood, albeit virtually.. I have no question in my mind as to where the legends of the trolls came from. Can definitely see that I may spend some time perusing this thread.
    I apologize, in advance, for any of my past posts that might offend you. :)
    02-07-2015 08:42 PM
295 ... 9101112