The Quotes Thread!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So...

I figured I'd start this thread as a space for people to share powerful or interesting or inspirational quotes. It is always nice to read something in a quote that does hit home and capture a thought or feeling well. Rules are simple:

1) List a quote and its original author. If it is a personal saying, list that too.

2) Repeats are ok as the thread gets bigger, but let's not try to do those as best as we can.

3) Categories is non-specific...just avoid the demeaning stuff.

I'll start:

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
"In a world, which is expanding day by day, literature is no longer enough ... our busy age does not always have time to read, but it always has time to look." Theophile Gaultier, 1858

sanjeet_deshwal

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
"I don't think I ever thought of myself as Superman. But there were people who thought of me that way, and maybe I believed them a little."
-Eminem

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
"In one way, I suppose, I have been 'in denial' for some time, knowingly burning the candle at both ends and finding that it often gives a lovely light"
Christopher Hitchens

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."
Christopher Hitchens

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
As a parent, it's my responsibility to equip my child to do this - to grieve when grief is necessary and to realize that life is still profoundly beautiful and worth living despite the fact that we inevitably lose one another and that life ends, and we don't know what happens after death. -Sam Harris

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
"I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth."
Stephen Hawking

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't seem to me that this fantastically marvelous universe, this tremendous range of time and space and different kinds of animals, and all the different planets, and all these atoms with all their motions, and so on, all this complicated thing can merely be a stage so that God can watch human beings struggle for good and evil. The stage is too big for the drama. -Richard P. Feynman

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Math and Alcohol don't mix! Please, don't drink and derive.
Mathematicians
Against
Drunk
Deriving

One of my favorite quotes during the mid-90s from graduate school. The origins are not definitely known. But supposedly this gained a lot of usage about 1995 and onwards.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
"It is absolutely safe to say that, if you meet somebody who claims not to believe in evolution, that person is ignorant, stupid or insane (or wicked, but I'd rather not consider that)."
Richard Dawkins

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Life is a song - sing it.
Life is a game - play it.
Life is a challenge - meet it.
Life is a dream - realize it.
Life is a sacrifice - offer it.
Life is love - enjoy it.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances , but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes.

-Hugh Downs

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
"One of the things that people complain about is loneliness, disconnectedness. If you live in a society where your life is rarely threatened and most of your relationships are more on an economic exchange basis, then this could leave people feeling less connected."

Steven Pinker

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb