No Floppy Support?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
DISCLAIMER: This post is just for fun, and not meant to be taken seriously, just in case you have trouble understanding sarcasm.

Come on, Microsoft! Why have you done this to me? I can't believe after all these years, Microsoft has finally introduced an Operating System that does not support the Floppy Drive.

My first computer came with a floppy drive and no hard drive. I could put the Operating System (DOS) on a disk, along with several of my apps, and I was good to go. Sure, initially that first computer only stored 360KB per disk, and the disks were 5.25" square, but then the 3.5" disk came out and held a lot more. 1.44MB per floppy disk was a lot of storage back then.

Now, with the release of Windows 10, it would take approximately 2,650 of those same disks to hold just the installation files for the OS. The OS itself would be much larger with nearly 5 times the size.

But wait, there's more! Not only have they made it so massive that it is inconvenient to carry with me on floppy disks, they have made it impossible to do so! They no longer support the floppy disk from within the operating system unless you get a special update from Windows Update! Why would they force me to use my 128GB microSD card? I mean, it's so small, it can be easy to lose! The good old floppy disk was difficult to misplace. Besides, if I wanted to wipe clean a microSD card, I have to insert it into a computer to delete all the files. Much easier with a floppy disk. All you need is a good magnet! Now THAT is file security. No way the government will get it after that.

Yeah, I miss my floppy disk days, about like I miss getting my wisdom teeth pulled.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Next you'll want Bluetooth DUN support and IR printing. You really need to get off the Bourbon when taking your meds, it's affecting your work here. Better yet, take a few days off from your retirement and go fishing. :evil:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I remember when Sir Clive Sinclair brought out my fabulous ZX-81 home computer, he informed us it had enough power to manage a nuclear power station (though he never mentioned if that was with or without the 16KB ram pack).

So, Nadella, my Windows 10 PC has had many improvements since those days. How many nuclear power stations can I expect to run with it? And where do I plug them, are they USB like everything else?

QL FTW!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'd rather use one of these :winktongue:

View attachment 111011

Anyway, does anyone know when Microsoft will add support of these disks???

My life's work are on these disks!! :evil:

Oh, man. Is that the 80K 8" Floppy? I remember working on machines that had 2 of those drives. We used to punch a hole in the side, flip it over, and use the other side to double the storage. Haha!

How about these bad boys. I actually had to use these before I ever got a computer of my own.
punchcard1148234819.gif
Yeah, I'll bet Windows 10 doesn't have support for punched cards either.
These bad boys were write once, read until you get it wet and it becomes shredded/distorted. Haha!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon