Microsoft sucks

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
This has been the last 5 days of my life with Microsoft.

HARDWARE:

I hard reset my Surface.....twice....because the latest update screwed up the keyboard and touchscreen inputs.

My fourth (yip, I've had 4 replacements) Surface charger has stopped working

My Lumia went nutty. To be fair this happens all the time so I'm used to it. The 950 is an awful phone. One hard reset later and the thing still doesn't work properly.

My Band 2 died. As in, properly just died. It won't even switch on.

SOFTWARE:

I'm finding out in the worst possible way that a large chunk of emails I sent last week never reached the recipient.

Cortana won't work. Just flat out refuses to accept voice commands and won't relearn my voice

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

So maybe I'm just having a bad run. But seriously, Microsoft seem to have no problem shipping crappy hardware or pushing out crappy software without giving any consideration to the impact it has on customers.

The email problem has had a real financial impact. I use Microsoft services for business and have so far had two client meetings cancelled and a very irate accountant on the phone saying I've missed my tax return quarter all because they never received emails last week that are sitting in my sent items folder!!

So now I've got a buggy surface that I cannot charge, that's connected to a Microsoft email account that doesn't always send messages.

I've got a Lumia phone that is incredibly unreliable.

I've got a Band that's dead.

I've come to the conclusion that this is my fault. I've been too lazy to check out competitor platforms. I've been too loyal to Microsoft. I've wanted them to succeed, even if their success costs me money and causes me to fail.

This week has taught me that loyalty to a brand is stupid. When it comes to technology we shouldn't make our purchasing decisions on a company name or logo. We should make our decisions based on what will work best for us.

For years now I've felt like a Microsoft guinea pig. They keep churning out terrible handsets, fitness bands that break every few months, surface devices filled with bugs and operating systems that cause terrible harm to the end user. They do all this in the name of progress but give virtually no thought to how their lack of strategy or direction affects millions upon millions of users.

Nothing about Microsoft hardware or software feels polished. Nothing feels complete. In engineering terms, it's like they've built a temporary bridge over a river while they work away to complete the main, grand, totally awe inspiring bridge.

The problem is that the main bridge will never be completely finished because they keep changing the plans. How many times has the mobile plan changed? How many times has the skype plan changed? How many times do we hear about grand plans for hardware, software and services that just end up scrapped? It's simply not good enough.

Microsoft, you're being unfair and unkind to your customers.

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
This has been the last 5 days of my life with Microsoft.

HARDWARE:

I hard reset my Surface.....twice....because the latest update screwed up the keyboard and touchscreen inputs.

My fourth (yip, I've had 4 replacements) Surface charger has stopped working

My Lumia went nutty. To be fair this happens all the time so I'm used to it. The 950 is an awful phone. One hard reset later and the thing still doesn't work properly.

My Band 2 died. As in, properly just died. It won't even switch on.

SOFTWARE:

I'm finding out in the worst possible way that a large chunk of emails I sent last week never reached the recipient.

Cortana won't work. Just flat out refuses to accept voice commands and won't relearn my voice

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

So maybe I'm just having a bad run. But seriously, Microsoft seem to have no problem shipping crappy hardware or pushing out crappy software without giving any consideration to the impact it has on customers.

The email problem has had a real financial impact. I use Microsoft services for business and have so far had two client meetings cancelled and a very irate accountant on the phone saying I've missed my tax return quarter all because they never received emails last week that are sitting in my sent items folder!!

So now I've got a buggy surface that I cannot charge, that's connected to a Microsoft email account that doesn't always send messages.

I've got a Lumia phone that is incredibly unreliable.

I've got a Band that's dead.

I've come to the conclusion that this is my fault. I've been too lazy to check out competitor platforms. I've been too loyal to Microsoft. I've wanted them to succeed, even if their success costs me money and causes me to fail.

This week has taught me that loyalty to a brand is stupid. When it comes to technology we shouldn't make our purchasing decisions on a company name or logo. We should make our decisions based on what will work best for us.

For years now I've felt like a Microsoft guinea pig. The keep churning out terrible handsets, fitness bands that break every few months, surface devices filled with bugs and operating systems that cause terrible harm to the end user. They do all this in the name of progress but give virtually no thought to how their lack of strategy or direction affects millions upon millions of users.

Nothing about Microsoft hardware or software feels polished. Nothing feels complete. In engineering terms, it's like they've built a temporary bridge over a river while they work away to complete the main, grand, totally awe inspiring bridge.

The problem is that the main bridge will never be completely finished because they keep changing the plans. How many times has the mobile plan changed? How many times has the skype plan changed? How many times do we hear about grand plans for hardware, software and services that just end up scrapped? It's simply not good enough.

Microsoft, you're being unfair and unkind to your customers.

I hear ya, I'm so frustrated right now with what use to be a relatively simple update process in regards to Windows Updates on a computer or phone for that matter, sure things would occasionally go awry but not to the extent we are seeing now. Updated 6 PCs recently to the Anniversary Update plus cumulative update(s), now five 'puters have aspects of the OS, often used functions/components, not functioning and that appear not to be resolved by the normal methods, so far. May end up rolling back on most and if that doesn't work, a full-on fresh install UGH!

Your right on the "not feeling polished" part as that is just how it appears to me too, everything in the last couple of years just feels so half baked, from the implementation of upgrades/updates, hardware and obviously their newest abomination, W10 for PC and Mobile. With all my Android and Apple (iOS/Mac) devices I can count on one hand how many times in the past couple of years they have given me troubles, took only a few months to run out of fingers & toes when it came to the WM and PC side of things. What the heck is MS doing or should I say, what are they NOT doing???

Last edited:

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I hear ya, I'm so frustrated right now with what use to be a relatively simple update process in regards to Windows Updates on a computer or phone for that matter, sure things would occasionally go awry but not to the extent we are seeing now. Updated 6 PCs recently to the Anniversary Update plus cumulative update(s), now five 'puters have aspects of the OS, often used functions/components, not functioning and that appear not to be resolved by the normal methods, so far. May end up rolling back on most and if that doesn't work, a full-on fresh install UGH!

Your right on the "not feeling polished" part as that is just how it appears to me too, everything in the last couple of years just feels so half baked, from the implementation of upgrades/updates, hardware and obviously their newest abomination, W10 for PC and Mobile. With all my Android and Apple (iOS/Mac) devices I can count on one hand how many times in the past couple of years they have given me troubles, took only a few months to run out of fingers toes when it came to the WM and PC side of things. What the heck is MS doing or should I say, what are they NOT doing???

Yip, all true. I had 4 Toshiba PC's I tried to upgrade to W10 earlier this year. I gave up in the end. I actually lost a couple of the machines as a result of trying to upgrade.

I just feel like Microsoft have us all on this perpetual experimental cycle. It's just not fair

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience all around. That sucks, and I have to say that you have WAY more patience than me.

It doesn't solve what you're going through, but I must ask. Why do you still use the 950 primarily if it's just another device that gives you issues? Wouldn't having something more stable make your life slightly easier?

They do owe you another new charger for that Surface though, because that is just unacceptable!

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience all around. That sucks, and I have to say that you have WAY more patience than me.

It doesn't solve what you're going through, but I must ask. Why do you still use the 950 primarily if it's just another device that gives you issues? Wouldn't having something more stable make your life slightly easier?

They do owe you another new charger for that Surface though, because that is just unacceptable!

Hi Libra, yeah it's been a nightmare week.

In answer to your question, I've stuck with the 950 purely out of loyalty.

The big thing that I've always aimed for with technology is complete synergy across hardware and software. To achieve that I've focussed all my time and money on a full Microsoft ecosystem. On the hardware side I have the Lumia 800, 1520 & 950. I have a Surface Pro 3 and Pro 4. I have a Band and Band 2. I have an Xbox one. I also have the Continuum dock. When it comes to software and services I'm fully invested in Office 365, Onedrive, Groove Music and Xbox Gold.

I've spent literally thousands on hardware and hundreds on hardware.

I'm bought in. Unfortunately I seem to have bought into a company with broke and dying written all over it. W10M, Lumia, Band, Health...it's all terminating. The only thing that seems to work well is the Xbox

I know in Microsoft land my investment is tiny, but to me it's huge. And that's what makes the sloppy hardware and unreliable services so difficult to accept.

I'm doing my bit. I'm putting my hand in my pocket because I want to have that one-stop-shop Microsoft ecosystem. But they seem determined to break it at every step

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is hustling with its software and market dominance. I dont know how long it will last but is really badly affecting the end users.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon