New Surface today or Andromeda tomorrow...

Rahsna Asurac

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Hypothetical question...

If you had £1500-2000 kicking around and were thinking about buying a new Microsoft machine, would you:

Drop it on a new Surface Book 2/Surface Pro/Surface Laptop right now

OR

Wait for Andromeda, knowing this is the awesome device we've wanted for years, BUT it's going to be a first-generation device and could be extremely buggy. Early adopters are rarely happy users.

What would you do?

Wait for Andromeda. But I would not buy it out right. I'll wait half a year after release while keeping an eye on reviews, before I dare dive into Surface again.
As you point out, early adopters are rarely happy users ;)

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
You've got a sp4 and if you don't have a good reason to upgrade, I'd say wait. If you are upgrading from an aging PC/NB then go for it.
If the Dual Screen is coming out next month, then it depends on your usage.
I have a Surface Pro and Alienware 17" 2015 model, I'm not getting another work station. I'd go for the Dual Screen. Cannot wait to dock it on my gamepad! (also looking forward to other features of course)

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Hypothetical question...

If you had £1500-2000 kicking around and were thinking about buying a new Microsoft machine, would you:

OR

Wait for Andromeda, knowing this is the awesome device we've wanted for years, BUT it's going to be a first-generation device and could be extremely buggy. Early adopters are rarely happy users.

What would you do?

I would wait. Personally, I have a hard requirement for Thunderbolt 3 ports, so there is no Surface that meets my needs. Hoping they come out with something someday, but the rest of the industry is already 2 years ahead of Surface on IO.

slepr

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I currently use an SP3 and my Elite X3. Although my SP3 is now almost 4 years old I have been thinking about a new SP with LTE eSIM. However, I am holding off at present to see if there is an announcement about Andromeda this year. If by fall nothing has been announced then I will go ahead with the new SP

ACF1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hypothetical question...

OR

What would you do?

I too own a SP3. But I am waiting for a couple of things:

For intel to release its next gen 10nm CPUs. This will be exponentially better on power consumption, efficiency all around.

Second, I am not waiting for Andromeda, but for Polaris. In a Surface device where win32 app (still necessary) run virtualized. Since native win32 performance is usually not needed on a relative low power device like a Surface Pro, then not need to have Win10 Pro.

Lastly, USB-C may be more mainstream.

My 2 cents.

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
If your SP4 runs everything you need, I'd wait. If it's starting to break down and you need to run x86 apps on the go, I'd suggest getting one of the current Surface offerings. Or, potentially, I'd grab a "good enough" laptop from the likes of Dell or HP and play the waiting game.

My situation right now is that I'm a student with a Surface Pro 3, solid desktop PC and a Lumia 950XL, patiently playing the waiting game. If there's nothing exciting announced by maybe August (when my scholarship payment goes in) I'm gonna start looking at existing hardware options.

VHMP01

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It will not be a PC. It is not supposed to have legacy Windows support at least at launch. A later update may bring some legacy components back. Not to mention, dual 6" screens with no keyboard won't replace a laptop.

A PC is any Personal Computer, should an actual Smartphone be called a GPS with calling capabilities?After all GPSs were separate devices inicially! This new device, if hooked to a monitor, a keyboard, a mouse may do all the laptopt's tasks, so it's a Personal Computing Device now with even more things that can be programed to do! Perhaps PWAs, Virtual Machines for legacy software, etc. integrated into a new form that can take advantage of what most devices actually do today, I could see my self not having to carry anything else around!

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Hypothetical question...

OR

What would you do?

As much as i want to buy andromeda, I've been burned too many times to risk it. Even if it happens to be a groundbreaking bug free device, Microsoft still has to put some marketing force behind it or it wont succeed.

Given their history, I dont have high hopes that it will be a success nor that microsoft will put any marketing effort behind it.

I hope I am proven wrong.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
WAIT!!!!
MS will probably cease support for the Surface without notice.
I don't trust MS for consumer units.
If a third party like HP made something - maybe - but they burnt HP (HP Elite x3)
Andromeda...when is it due to be our on the market? Even if MS brings out something, I would be very cautious and wait to see how it takes....or expect it to be abandoned.

And what do you want the Surface for? Would a Chromebook do? MacBook?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
WAIT!!!!
MS will probably cease support for the Surface without notice.
I don't trust MS for consumer units.
If a third party like HP made something - maybe - but they burnt HP (HP Elite x3)
Andromeda...when is it due to be our on the market? Even if MS brings out something, I would be very cautious and wait to see how it takes....or expect it to be abandoned.

And what do you want the Surface for? Would a Chromebook do? MacBook?

I can't see Microsoft doing that, considering that Surface is doing what it should for them. Unlike what Windows Phone was, Microsoft is gaining positive with the Surface line.

Nexusofuniverse

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm absolutely waiting for project Andromeda before I buy any other machine. I have the original surface book with performance base that I purchased the day surface book came out. It was super buggy in the beginning and also had multiple screen and sleep issues they eventually had to replace it under warranty, but I definitely love it and I understand that there are growing pains to new products. Over the years and updates it has become my favorite laptop I've ever used, but my biggest complains are that it's starting to slow down, the graphics performance is barely giving me any extra oomph these days in photoshop and adobe premier and after getting a new svelte work laptop, I've realized just how heavy the surface book really is. I'm ready for something more mobile and snappy. I'd like the Andromeda to replace my mobile computing needs and then just have a work station at my home office. I'm definitely holding off on purchasing anything until Andromeda comes out. I also hope that they release an upgradable Surface Studio because I would just love to buy that as my work station at home.

Hypothetical question...

OR

What would you do?

universalfield

Apr 5, 2018
Visit site
When the Surface "Phone" is available for pre-order, I'll be first in line.

I already have a Surface Pro 4, and it's great for the purpose for which it was designed.

That said, I just picked up a Thinkpad 25 for more serious mobile and docked use. There's cash set aside for the next Microsoft mobile device, though.

I suspect the price of entry will be relatively high.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Wait for Andromeda, knowing this is the awesome device we've wanted for years

We don't really know this, do we? I mean, all we have so far is pretty much rumors. We don't know what, when, or how much. Even if applies here.

Personally, I wouldn't wait on Andromeda. Maybe it will be the device you have been waiting for your whole life, but will be priced out of the equation.

BUT it's going to be a first-generation device and could be extremely buggy. Early adopters are rarely happy users.

This is something to consider as well, even if the Andromeda device meets all other requirements.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I almost bought an open box Surface pro 2017 i5 the other day at Best Buy. But decided to upgrade my wife and bought an S9 lilac color. She did not really need it (I mean she was using a 6s series iphone...), but I could not justify pulling the trigger for the Surface even if it was discounted. We would have shared the surface but to me we do so much on our hand held phones, that it made more sense to get her a newer device.

You upgraded your wife? Every married man in America wants to know how.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon