New Surface today or Andromeda tomorrow...

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hypothetical question...

If you had £1500-2000 kicking around and were thinking about buying a new Microsoft machine, would you:

Drop it on a new Surface Book 2/Surface Pro/Surface Laptop right now

OR

Wait for Andromeda, knowing this is the awesome device we've wanted for years, BUT it's going to be a first-generation device and could be extremely buggy. Early adopters are rarely happy users.

What would you do?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
If it came out tomorrow. Made phone calls and could do sms/mms either via Skype or the messaging app...was pocketable (for the most part). Then I'd wait and buy it. I don't need another work station. I need a newer better equipped Windows mobile device.

Edit: P.S.
If we've come this far (Windows 10 mobile users), early adoption might be a breeze ;-)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's funny that you ask this. I am debating between a Surface Pro or Surface Laptop currently.

I would choose the former. While the latter "promised" device would be cool, I would regret not having apps that I use daily.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It's funny that you ask this. I am debating between a Surface Pro or Surface Laptop currently.

I would choose the former. While the latter "promised" device would be cool, I would regret not having apps that I use daily.

Me too :) although my debate is whether to upgrade from my SP4 and buy a surface book 2. They've just dropped over £300 in price so it's finally something I can afford....but I don't want to spend the cash and 4-6 months from now Andromeda lands and it's like..."damn, I really want that!!"

I'm torn

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I almost bought an open box Surface pro 2017 i5 the other day at Best Buy. But decided to upgrade my wife and bought an S9 lilac color. She did not really need it (I mean she was using a 6s series iphone...), but I could not justify pulling the trigger for the Surface even if it was discounted. We would have shared the surface but to me we do so much on our hand held phones, that it made more sense to get her a newer device.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I almost bought an open box Surface pro 2017 i5 the other day at Best Buy. But decided to upgrade my wife and bought an S9 lilac color. She did not really need it (I mean she was using a 6s series iphone...), but I could not justify pulling the trigger for the Surface even if it was discounted. We would have shared the surface but to me we do so much on our hand held phones, that it made more sense to get her a newer device.

Ooh, that was nice of you. I'm surprised that she decided to jump ship. I looked at an open box one too but I wasn't really sure about how that works.

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
I don't think I will buy a Surface in my life but the Andromeda device intrigues me. I am not a iOS or Android kinda of guy and now that Robinhood has a web app I just don't have to depend on those OSes anymore. Plus having a tablet /phone hybrid would be a big plus for me.

bleached

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
This is like asking if I should get a MacBook Pro now or wait and see the new iPhone. They are two totally different things. If you need a laptop, get the SB2 (or SB1 if you can find a deal). If you need a crappy phone that can turn into a small crappy tablet, wait for Andromeda.

Last edited:

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Already own a Surface, but I wouldn't wait for an unannounced product.

Why sit on my money hoping for something that may never be when I can buy and enjoy something today?

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I am still using a Surface Pro 3 (i7 512GB) since it came out and though if someone gave me a shiny new Surface Pro, with at least the same specs I'd be more than happy to use, the device has given me no reason to want to upgrade.

Regarding the Andromeda device I must say I, like many others, am intrigued. However I can't necessarily say I'd abandon the iPhone i just started using late August 2017 right away. I've supported Microsoft, Xbox Music/Groove, Microsoft Band 1 and 2, Lumia 920, 1020, 950XL and have not been really able to justify the cost and their commitment to the products.

With that said, it's not that I'm bitter either, I'm just a bit more cautious, and the Andromeda device would need to at least support (Uber/Lyft; NFC Payment, Venmo, along with a strong calendar, inbox, camera) for me to consider such an expensive move. I say expensive, because I can't imagine Andromeda being <1K as the Lumia 1020/950XL were around $800.

VHMP01

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This is like asking if I should get a MacBook Pro now or wait and see the new iPhone. They are two totally different things. If you need a laptop, get the SB2 (or SB1 if you can find a deal). If you need a crappy phone that can turn into a small crappy tablet, wait for Andromeda.

The problem with iFans is that Apple has such a few products; iPhone, iPads, Macs, iMacs, so they think the whole world should be as closed minded... We like options, as when laptops filled in PC + mobility and with time they got in par with great specs, if a new device can be a PC + Laptop + Mobile + VR + etc. would be great as long as it has great specs to keep up!

Last edited:

78Bandit

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Depends on what your needs are. Andromeda is likely going to be an ARM based device running Windows emulation which is in a completely different category than the Surface Pro/Book/Laptop devices. I just don't see Andromeda and Surface being interchangeable. If you need the power of a Surface then Andromeda isn't going to get the job done.

On the other hand, a much better comparison could be made with the new ARM always-connected laptops and Andromeda. They will likely have similar capabilities and the choice will be a laptop/tablet vs. foldable form factor. In that case, if always-on connectivity is important and you can live with the performance limitations of ARM then it might be worthwhile to hold on to your money and see what Andromeda offers before committing to a purchase.

anon(10440410)

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
MS is dead without a presence in Mobile. Its AI ambitions are dead without mobile. Its UWP ambitions are dead. Its OS ambitions are dead. They need a win with Andromeda. So unless Nadella is as crazy as he sounds at Inspire conferences I think they'll come out with this Andromeda device soon. Hopefully at Build.

As for a device with a tactile keyboard, my Lenovo Yoga 900 is running perfectly well right now I'll stick with it for a year or two and wait for Andromeda.

bleached

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
The problema with iFans is that Apple has such a few products; iPhone, iPads, Macs, iMacs, so they think the whole world should be as closed minded... We like options, as when laptops filled in PC + mobility and with time they got in par with great specs, if a new device can be a PC + Laptop + Mobile + VR + etc. would be great as long as it has great specs to keep up!

It will not be a PC. It is not supposed to have legacy Windows support at least at launch. A later update may bring some legacy components back. Not to mention, dual 6" screens with no keyboard won't replace a laptop.

jrealtor1

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I still am in need of a new Win10 laptop, workstation etc. to do the heavy lifting. i also am in need of a win mobile device for mobile computing and communication...so to answer your query, No the hypothetical Andromeda device release would not hinder my decision to purchase a win10 workstation, laptop, tablet etc...When my daily driver was win10 mobile, I still used my laptop and desktop. Whatever Microsoft decides to release you can bet they will not dare cannibalize their desktop/laptop/tablet/workstation revenue. Whatever they release will only broaden their mobile and computing surface. (no pun intended)

damalyx

Jul 2, 2017
Visit site
easy pick, savor the present. so SB/SP/SL
even with andromeda coming, it will have to beat either ios or android to occupy one of my pockets. lol

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
That's an awfully big leap, saying the Andromeda device is the "awesome device we've wanted for years". First, everything about such a device is rumor. Zero has been confirmed. And, speaking for myself, I have NOT been waiting for what's been rumored. I'm not excited about the device largely because we don't KNOW what it's bringing to the table, and I'm not interested in the features rumored. But none of that is really important. The fact is, you can go chasing what-if devices forever. If you're always waiting on the Next Big Thing, then you never get something that will take care of business NOW. If the Surface--or any similar device--will satisfy your mobile computing needs, then find the best deal and go get it. If what you have still has some mileage to go, then wait. It shouldn't be a hard decision.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Surface not-Phone or bust. The current line up all require baggage, and would tend towards encouraging the carrying of a smart phone as well. So for Windows users either people will both get a convertable/laptop now AND get a not-Phone later or they'll just get a not-Phone later.

The only people getting a convertable/laptop now who won't be getting a not-Phone later are into Android/iOS and so may well go for an iPad or Galaxy tab or something instead of a current Surface Pro, so probably not the best people to ask about their Surface device plans for the future in the context of Windows usage.

My reason for waiting is that nothing but Windows will do what I want. So I have to wait. If MS flake out on us again I'll revert to a small tablet I suppose. I certainly won't be buying any smart phones again after my 950XL dies as none of the current breed are attractive to me in the slightest. The 950XL is my final smart phone, the end of the smart phone era for me. Whatever early adopter problems there are with the not-Phones, so long as it runs Windows at least the main issue of other pocketable devices is solved. Even running Windows in a flawed way is better than no Windows at all.

The Atari Portfolio was the first of a breed, and I had no problems early adopting that MS compatible device. Why start worrying now?

Last edited:

brondanino

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I bought a surface book 2 in December, but if Andromeda comes out tomorrow I'd order it immediately. Just want to hold it and see if it is indeed the device I'm waiting for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos