How to select files and folders to sync from Windows 7 app

Wendy Haylett

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something. I connected folders to my Sky Drive account and I see all the files that uploaded originally from my PC/Win 7, on all devices (Surface 2, WP 8), and on Sky Drive.com. My problem is that when new files are added to the folder, or if a file is edited, it doesn't update or sync. Therefore, it's not syncing.

What am I doing wrong?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Do you have your Skydrive set to sync automatically or manually? Also when you edit the file, are you editing from the Skydrive folder or from local?

I'm on W8.1 now so things are a bit different with Skydrive.

Wendy Haylett

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I edit from local ... I guess that's the problem, right? It won't look at what you've done locally and refresh when updated, then?

I was hoping that Sky Drive could serve as a back-up and sync solution, replacing the Sugar Sync set-up I currently use. Maybe I'm trying to make it something it's not.

Wendy Haylett

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have read this, but it doesn't solve my problem. I'm thinking it is a subfolder issue. I put multiple account folders into the SkyDrive document folder, then within the account folders, there is another tier of subfolders of individual clients within those accounts, containing documents I am creating for them.

Do you have to put just the files in the document folder and not folders within folders?

Wendy Haylett

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I think I just had an ah-ha moment ... or maybe, a palm-to-face moment... When I work on the files, whether locally or on a remote device, I need to open them from the folder they appear in, in the SkyDrive folder on my PC. Then work on them and they will be synced. But they will be synced to the folders I have in the Sky Drive folder and not the original folders I copied them from. Correct?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes that's correct. You need to work with them in the Skydrive app folder and that way everything stays synced. :) It shouldn't matter how many folders you have either.

Wendy Haylett

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Duh! And, yes, I read that, but it didn't sink in. I'm so used to Sugar Sync syncing from the folders they live in, I guess I expected that. Now, I have to: 1) remember to work in the SkyDrive folder; 2) trust that I don't have to make local folder back-ups of the stuff in the SkyDrive folder.

Do you make local back-ups of the folders in the SkyDrive folder?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe it's necessary because even if you lose internet the file is still native to your computer and once internet returns it will automatically upload to Skydrive. So unless your worried about not being able to access Skydrive on another device I don't see the need.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans