My wife and I have been using Google Drive for our budgeting for quite some time now. It has been convenient because we could both access the drive and the spreadsheet at the same time or whenever on any of our computers or mobile devices. This last year though she got a Lumia 928 and we have yet to find a fully functional GD app for WP8. So, we decided to make the switch to OneDrive. However, she is only able to view the Excel spreadsheet and I can't figure out how get things set-up so she can edit it on her phone. It's works perfectly fine on my Android phone and tablet, iPhone, and Windows Tablet. Can someone please help me?
    03-06-2014 10:29 AM
    Are you trying to open the document through the OneDrive app or the Office Hub?
    03-06-2014 10:48 AM
    .xls and .doc files cannot be edited on WP.
    .xlsx and .docx can be edited.
    That may be the issue you are facing.
    MA83 and xandros9 like this.
    03-06-2014 11:16 AM
    I'll check that. Thanks!
    03-06-2014 01:52 PM
    Are you trying to open the document through the OneDrive app or the Office Hub?
    She's trying to open it with the OneDrive app.

.xls and .doc files cannot be edited on WP.
    .xlsx and .docx can be edited.
    That may be the issue you are facing.
    I did not know this. I'll be checking that out immediately!
    03-06-2014 02:10 PM
    It is an .xlsx
    03-06-2014 02:11 PM
    She's trying to open it with the OneDrive app.!
    I guess it shouldn't matter. I just tested with the OneDrive app and with the office hub OneDrive integration. Editing worked in both places.

Is there a permissions issue on the file?
    03-06-2014 03:25 PM
    I guess it shouldn't matter. I just tested with the OneDrive app and with the office hub OneDrive integration. Editing worked in both places.

Is there a permissions issue on the file?
    As far as I know, I have her permissions set up properly. Before I did that, her phone wouldn't even let her open the file.
    03-06-2014 05:19 PM
    Does the file have macros? If yes, then I think it can't be edited.
    03-06-2014 11:06 PM
    Nope.
    03-07-2014 09:51 AM

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    03-07-2014 09:54 AM
    If your spreadsheet has constructed tables (or a few of them), then it'll probably tell you that the worksheet cannot be edited. Is that message coming up when opening the document?
    03-11-2014 02:32 PM
    Yes, that's the message she gets. But how come it doesn't work on her L928 and I can access and edit on my iPhone and Android? Also, what do you mean by constructed tables?
    03-12-2014 09:59 AM
    Yes, that's the message she gets. But how come it doesn't work on her L928 and I can access and edit on my iPhone and Android?
    I don't know. I'll see if I can edit my spreadsheets on my mom's S3 later this evening. I know that Android and iPhone can do some things with spreadsheets that Windows Phone unfortunately cannot do like sorting data within a Table.

Also, what do you mean by constructed tables?
    Tables created with Insert>Table.
    03-13-2014 11:57 AM
    I don't know. I'll see if I can edit my spreadsheets on my mom's S3 later this evening. I know that Android and iPhone can do some things with spreadsheets that Windows Phone unfortunately cannot do like sorting data within a Table.

Tables created with Insert>Table.
    Sounds good. No constructed tables.
    03-14-2014 10:48 AM
    Sorry, I wasn't able to test it on my mom's phone and won't be able to till later Sunday.

However, I discovered something unfortunate and absolutely silly. I was completely unable to edit a workbook because of of my Tables has a Total Row. Now, are you absolutely certain that none of the tables in your document weren't created by using the Tables feature in Excel? If you were to open the spreadsheet on a computer and select a cell within any set of data, will the Table Tools tab appear along the top?

If the Table Tools tab does not pop up, then there is something else making the document unable to be edited. Regardless, it's definitely something Microsoft needs to fix.

EDIT: I'm also unable to edit a workbook that references another workbook.
    Last edited by Asrialys; 03-14-2014 at 11:16 PM.
    03-14-2014 11:05 PM
    My wife and I have been using Google Drive for our budgeting for quite some time now. It has been convenient because we could both access the drive and the spreadsheet at the same time or whenever on any of our computers or mobile devices. This last year though she got a Lumia 928 and we have yet to find a fully functional GD app for WP8. So, we decided to make the switch to OneDrive. However, she is only able to view the Excel spreadsheet and I can't figure out how get things set-up so she can edit it on her phone. It's works perfectly fine on my Android phone and tablet, iPhone, and Windows Tablet. Can someone please help me?
    Have you tried installing a Google Drive app such as GDrive on the 928 and using the same file in Google Drive? She might be able to edit it that way. At any rate it would be interesting to see if it works. I've found that for editing & collaboration, OneDrive is not as robust as Google Drive.
    03-14-2014 11:37 PM
    Have you tried installing a Google Drive app such as GDrive on the 928 and using the same file in Google Drive? She might be able to edit it that way. At any rate it would be interesting to see if it works. I've found that for editing & collaboration, OneDrive is not as robust as Google Drive.
    I thought she had tried GDrive in the past, but I may be mistaken. I'll play with her phone some more tonight!
    03-17-2014 10:11 AM