Let's boycott OneDrive

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe the **** they pulled off today, after all the loyalty I've given them. I'm moving to google drive, because dropbox is.. Yuck. Hope Google doesn't take a U-turn as well.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Never trust any cloud service. cloud is cloud. it will never be our hard drive at least for some years. After this i lost my sense of ownership of my files in the cloud. I have decided that i am just going to keep a copy of some important documents and onenote which would be less than 2GB. so thats all will be in the cloud for me now .

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Never trust any cloud service. cloud is cloud. it will never be our hard drive at least for some years. After this i lost my sense of ownership of my files in the cloud. I have decided that i am just going to keep a copy of some important documents and onenote which would be less than 2GB. so thats all will be in the cloud now for me.
Yeah I'm thinking of doing the same. I have a lot of photos that suddenly have nowhere to go but to my PC. Who knows what they might "change" in the future.

One thing's for sure. I'm moving to G drive. Once I get an Android, there'll be no reason for me to choose onedrive.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
No need to make a quick, rash decision here. The grace period and offer of 1 year Office 365 is more than enough time to make a logical, measured decision about whether to stay or move files elsewhere. It's also enough time for MS to gauge the bad publicity they are getting over this and change their minds.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I feel the same, on the other hand less than 2€ a month is very affordable, we could not think to get free storage forever, I mean those 30gigs would have ended in some years of photos and video and we should have had to pay anyway...

But it is really sad to see M$ screw up so badly.

I'm talking as a free user which has 10GBs used ,7 of which are of autouploaded media. I can't speak for the unlimited users (which I think was a very stupid idea to begin with, they should know there is crazy people around that would upload tons of data...)

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
As I stated somewhere last night, it looks like somebody at MS borrowed AT&T's dictionary to look up the word "unlimited"

I certainly believe we could get free storage forever, at least a reasonable amount (with all the auto upload media built into Windows these days 5GB is not reasonable). It's vital to a "cloud first" strategy to have cloud available and affordable especially for the users of their own OS and devices. I'm not complaining about having to pay over a certain amount, but when the free amount is reduced and fees tacked on *after* they encouraged, nay, begged people to upload all their stuff including their video and music libraries because hey, it's free, and you know, cloud first! -- that just stinks of bait-and-switch tactics.

At least we have something else, other than WM10 and the ship date for the 950 phones, to gripe about for a few days. :)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe the **** they pulled off today, after all the loyalty I've given them. I'm moving to google drive, because dropbox is.. Yuck. Hope Google doesn't take a U-turn as well.

You do know that Google (and Apple) don't offer unlimited storage, don't you? Apple only offers 5Gb free and no one is shrieking about that.

People tend to forget just how much value Microsoft offers for free. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong in sacrificing a cup of coffee a month to pay for a bit more cloud space.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

What would they "U-turn" on? They don't offer unlimited free anything.

It's EXTREMELY way to get more storage and free storage on OneDrive. I hardly see this as the problem some are making it to be.

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
What would they "U-turn" on? They don't offer unlimited free anything.

It's EXTREMELY way to get more storage and free storage on OneDrive. I hardly see this as the problem some are making it to be.

I don't care about the unlimited storage. I'm hoping google doesn't u turn on their promise of 15 GB for free users. Not saying I trust google (lol). I have learnt my lesson thanks to MS, which is never to trust cloud storage again.

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
The grace period and offer of 1 year Office 365 is more than enough time to make a logical, measured decision about whether to stay or move files elsewhere. It's also enough time for MS to gauge the bad publicity they are getting over this and change their minds.

So punishing all users because some idiots uploaded 75+TB (that MS granted permission for when they were giving "unlimited" storage) was a logical, measured decision?

wessock

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
You do know that Google (and Apple) don't offer unlimited storage, don't you? Apple only offers 5Gb free and no one is shrieking about that.

People tend to forget just how much value Microsoft offers for free. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong in sacrificing a cup of coffee a month to pay for a bit more cloud space.

Actually Google does offer an unlimited option, it would just cost I think $50/month last I looked

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The grace period and offer of 1 year Office 365 is more than enough time to make a logical, measured decision about whether to stay or move files elsewhere. It's also enough time for MS to gauge the bad publicity they are getting over this and change their minds.
So punishing all users because some idiots uploaded 75+TB (that MS granted permission for when they were giving "unlimited" storage) was a logical, measured decision?
Not at all. The logical, measured decision is what I decide to do, and I was just pointing out that I have at least a year to think about it and see what happens. I don't have to take any action today.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

Very true, apple gives just 5GB free but they didn't give 30GB free to lure costumers in to use their iclould heavily and then all of a sudden reduce 30GB into 5GB. If MS gave just 5GB free and 1TB max for paid users from the beginning no one would have complained about it like this and no pain for anyone. Now giving 30GB Free and unlimited storage for 365 subscribers for many yrs lead many people to use Onedrive heavily and store lots of files and all of a sudden they are chucking all out.this is immoral. Its really a great pain for the customers now. why did they even advertise of free 15GB+15GB onedrive storage with every windows phone in the first place?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire