Unreasonably high OneDrive data usage in my Surface LTE

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Everyday I work with quite many Word/Excel documents, which sync across my windows devices, including a Surface 3 LTE and another Windows tablet with 3G, all with Windows 10 and all updates installed.

I notice unreasonably high data usage on my Surface 3 LTE plus the 3G tablet. My expected data usage is usually less than 20MB but everytime after syncing, I found the data usage increase by at least triple (sometimes even >100MB instead of my expected 20MB).

This problem has great impact on me - I need to pay for the extra data usage (I have only 1GB/month. For additional data, I need to pay ~$2/100MB)

Anyone using Surface 3 LTE (or other devices with LTE/3G connectivity) experiencing the same problem?

I check the data usage in Settings > Network & Internet > Data usage > Usage details and then it shows a breakdown of data usage by different processes, where two of them "OneDrive.exe", "MSOSYNC.EXE" should be responsible for OneDrive syncing. (Note: The cellular data usage breakdown is available only after using the "Data limit" function)

What is even worse is that sometimes after sync is complete, the OneDrive data usage still keeps on rising (about 10-20MB/hour).:unhappysweat:

Another related problem is that, when I try to terminate OneDrive (to stop further data usage when I don't have Wifi) by right-clicking the OneDrive icon on system tray and then choosing "exit", it terminates for a few seconds and then restarts and sync again. What a nightmare... Am I missing anything? How can I do a real termination of OneDrive?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Everyday I work with quite many Word/Excel documents, which sync across my windows devices, including a Surface 3 LTE and another Windows tablet with 3G, all with Windows 10 and all updates installed.

I notice unreasonably high data usage on my Surface 3 LTE plus the 3G tablet. My expected data usage is usually less than 20MB but everytime after syncing, I found the data usage increase by at least triple (sometimes even >100MB instead of my expected 20MB).

This problem has great impact on me - I need to pay for the extra data usage (I have only 1GB/month. For additional data, I need to pay ~$2/100MB)

Anyone using Surface 3 LTE (or other devices with LTE/3G connectivity) experiencing the same problem?

I check the data usage in Settings > Network & Internet > Data usage > Usage details and then it shows a breakdown of data usage by different processes, where two of them "OneDrive.exe", "MSOSYNC.EXE" should be responsible for OneDrive syncing. (Note: The cellular data usage breakdown is available only after using the "Data limit" function)

What is even worse is that sometimes after sync is complete, the OneDrive data usage still keeps on rising (about 10-20MB/hour).:unhappysweat:

Another related problem is that, when I try to terminate OneDrive (to stop further data usage when I don't have Wifi) by right-clicking the OneDrive icon on system tray and then choosing "exit", it terminates for a few seconds and then restarts and sync again. What a nightmare... Am I missing anything? How can I do a real termination of OneDrive?

go to task manager and check under apps that can start up if onedrive is enabled. Disable that and see if that helps when exiting onedrive from system tray

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon