Why should I switch to windows phone 7?

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to say you guys have made some great points on why WP7 is awesome. I have to admit I dismissed WP7 as a failure from the start. No multitasking, an Apple style store and since it's new there'd be a limited number of apps. I was planning on getting a Droid. Soon as it came out though I was like woah it's got Netflix. I can use my Zune Pass with it. Since it's got Xbox Live I know they'll have the best games marketplace. I played around with the OS and loved the flashiness. It was simple and well integrated. I knew I would have to worry about not getting updates since Microsoft is forcing all phones to get updates.

So yea I love my Samsung Focus. Best phone I've ever had. It does everything I need it to. :]

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say you guys have made some great points on why WP7 is awesome. I have to admit I dismissed WP7 as a failure from the start. No multitasking, an Apple style store and since it's new there'd be a limited number of apps. I was planning on getting a Droid. Soon as it came out though I was like woah it's got Netflix. I can use my Zune Pass with it. Since it's got Xbox Live I know they'll have the best games marketplace. I played around with the OS and loved the flashiness. It was simple and well integrated. I knew I would have to worry about not getting updates since Microsoft is forcing all phones to get updates.

So yea I love my Samsung Focus. Best phone I've ever had. It does everything I need it to. :]

Thats good to hear!

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
The only real things that keep me on this broken phone are the Zune integration and the insane amount of cloud syncing it does. Those two aspects of the phone are keeping me here, because they really are that good.

I doubt we'll see 4G until the second half of this year.

I doubt we'll see dual-core devices until WP8 launches because it's just plain not needed.

.. and to everyone praising the Xbox Live games.. you do realize a VERY high percentage of them are just ported iPhone games, right? LOL

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The first time I went into the local AT&T store a few weeks ago, I had not given WP7 much thought. I had heard good things about it, and the Xbox live integration had caught my attention, but I was still strongly leaning towards Android. I had been watching for the Atrix release and when that day came, I went to the store to try it out (I'm due for an upgrade in about 2 weeks). I played with the Atrix for 5 or 10 minutes and just wasn't that impressed. I then went to the other side of the display and started messing around with the Samsung Focus, HTC Surround, and LG Quantum. I could not believe how smooth the experience was. The browser actually impressed me (I hate IE on my Windows PCs), the games were beautiful and fun, the fact that Netflix is already available for it (not a single Android device to date can say that, even the Atrix which was up until that point my dream phone), and the fact that I could take the battery out if I felt like it without voiding the warranty (looking at you Apple)...I was in love.

Unless Netflix support is added to Android in the next 2 weeks, I'm 99% positive my next phone will be WP7. I still can't believe I'm saying that knowing what kind of hardware the Atrix is packing.

So let me get this straight, you were looking at an atrix, the most powerful phone on the market bar none, a phone that has unmatched speed and you mysteriously because of netflix turned to wp7. Btw this is your first post. Sorry but I don't believe you. You named 1 android phone and totally ignored the inspire and because you can't take the battery out of an iphone which btw probably has the best smartphone battery you won't get an iphone 4. Good luck with that!!!

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So let me get this straight, you were looking at an atrix, the most powerful phone on the market bar none, a phone that has unmatched speed and you mysteriously because of netflix turned to wp7. Btw this is your first post. Sorry but I don't believe you. You named 1 android phone and totally ignored the inspire and because you can't take the battery out of an iphone which btw probably has the best smartphone battery you won't get an iphone 4. Good luck with that!!!

MotoBlur sucks bro. Don't blame the dude. (I hate all Android "skins) I can't stand Sense anymore either.

Who's to say that the UI of Windows Phone can't just be...appealing...hmmm?

And Netflix will never universally come to Android...you'll see it on Model/Carrier/Chipset specfic roms someday probably...but it will be a loooooong time before it's in the App store if ever.

jtn05

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site

Why don't you believe him? because netflix was a big decider for him?

If he is a big netflix user then i can see why he chose WP7 because like Avery said, netflix will never be universally available on android. another thing, maybe he just liked the UI of WP7...not everybody goes crazy over specs, especially with the terrible skins oem's use on android.

just my 2 cents.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you believe him? because netflix was a big decider for him?

If he is a big netflix user then i can see why he chose WP7 because like Avery said, netflix will never be universally available on android. another thing, maybe he just liked the UI of WP7...not everybody goes crazy over specs, especially with the terrible skins oem's use on android.

just my 2 cents.

I know man, why would ANYONE every consider a phone with a superior music platform to iTunes (does Android even count in that department?), Netflix support, a good UI, Xbox Live, (course tre-nitty hates Xbox) and a useful notification system?

But why would anyone pick and iPhone over the Atrix when it's the most powerful?

But why would anyone pick an Android phone with all that dirty malware and subpar industrial build quality?

I think it's best to just use an LG feature phone and avoid all of this.

jtn05

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I know man, why would ANYONE every consider a phone with a superior music platform to iTunes (does Android even count in that department?), Netflix support, a good UI, Xbox Live, (course tre-nitty hates Xbox) and a useful notification system?

But why would anyone pick and iPhone over the Atrix when it's the most powerful?

But why would anyone pick an Android phone with all that dirty malware and subpar industrial build quality?

I think it's best to just use an LG feature phone and avoid all of this.

+1

agree with everything said.

ctt1wbw

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Actually that new LG phone blows the Atrix away in every test. And I was considering an Inspire, but I'm so sick and bloody tired of hearing the Android vs iOS arguments. I have an iPhone 4 which is superior in every way to Android. But I'm also getting a little tired of the iOS itself. Something drastic needs to be done to get away from the app icon driven OS.

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sticking up for me guys :)

Sorry, I've been lurking wpcentral.com for a while but hadn't registered yet because I wasn't sure which way I was going to go with my upcoming upgrade. I've been a Crackberry member for almost a year (I currently am using a Blackberry Bold 9000), but was more of a lurker there too...only occasionally posting comments on articles and asking a question here or there on the forums. I love this network of sites dedicated to the different OS's and wish registering for one meant you were registered for all of them. Sorry you didn't believe me, but I meant everything I said in my original post. Yes, I was looking at the Atrix because it had the best hardware. I've never owned an HTC, but I've heard they make great phones and I've heard that Sense is better than Motoblur, but I really wanted the top of the line hardware because I wanted my phone to be as future proof as possible when it came to games and apps.

As jtn05 guessed, I love Netflix and use it frequently to watch past seasons of TV shows and movies that they have made available for streaming. I was actually shocked and disappointed to find out that Netflix wasn't coming to most (possibly any?) existing Android devices. All of my friends and family are using Android devices except for 2 (one of my friends is using a 3GS and my father-in-law just got an iPhone 4 issued to him from his work). I've been playing with the iPhone 4 for the last few weeks when he comes over, and I've been trying out the EVO when my friends/family let me. The games/apps/netflix on the iPhone have warmed me up to it more than I had been previously, but like I said I want to be able to remove my battery in case I want to clear the RAM, have a spare battery for emergencies, etc.

The EVO looks like an awesome device, and everyone I know who owns one can't stop talking about how great it is. So I do not doubt that the Inspire is just as good, if not better (except for AT&T disabling HSUPA, which they also have done with the Atrix). If I didn't already have an unlimited data plan and corporate discounts with AT&T and another line that was even further from being off contract, I'd be seriously looking at other carriers right now, but I'd be looking at $240 in ETFs at the moment and probably a higher bill believe it or not.

If I were to switch, I'd be looking at the HD7 or the Arrive. But since I'm on AT&T and probably will be staying for the foreseeable future, I'm probably going to be going for one of their 3 WP7 devices in a couple of weeks. I'm actually leaning towards the quantum since none of them have HDMI and as far as I know the quantum is the only one that offers DLNA, plus the battery life, build quality, and LG specific apps seem to be very good.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
YES!!! Thank you, all of you, for shutting what I call the "WP7 Hypocrites" up lol (jk) it's just so funny to hear a couple of members here say that they wanna "See WP7 Succeed" but when a nice thread comes along praising it to help a user out, they completely Sh!t all over it! Why not give them the good points of the OS and let them ask about the bad points of it on their own (If they're really smart enough to ask about the negative points on their own, then I'm sure theyll make the right decision on what kind of smartphone to get)

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Motorola Atrix Vs Samsung Focus Scrolling and Pinch Zoom Comparison

Why would you buy a dual-core smartphone when the performance is still worse than WP7? Sure, Atrix has the best hardware, but Android is laggy and choppy no matter what CPU you run it on.

Hmm. . . maybe when they get quad-core smartphones with 2 GB of memory, Android might feel as fast and responsive as WP7 does on its old Snapdragon processors. And maybe you won't have to use Advanced Task Killer to keep your phone from slowing to a crawl.

Last edited:

L3vi

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
WP7 isn't the most full featured OS. If your looking for raw functionality, Android is the way to go. If your looking for quality of apps look to WP7. If your looking for both, go for the iPhone. I think that the iPhone 4 is the best smartphone on the market. Why do I have a WP7 phone then? One word. Ecosystem. I don't use a Mac, and I LOATH iTunes. Using WP7 makes my life easier, and makes my system run faster, since I don't have to run that awfully coded excuse for a music player. Zune destroys it. Another factor, is that I wanted to just try something new. Hopefully it pays off in the long run.

Also, if your a music freak WP7 is THE way to go. Zune Pass + WP7 = awesome. The music player in WP7 is the best of all no doubt. There aren't that many apps, compared to iOS and Android, but the apps very well done compared to their counterparts on the other mobile OSes.

All 3 OSes have something to offer, so pick the one that best suits you. And make sure you try them all out at your local store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon