USB Charging

RedRooster

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Are you guys having any luck charging your phone via USB on a Windows 7 machine when its in sleep mode? Mine charges, albeit very slow, when the laptop is on. But when I put it in sleep mode for the night, even though the phone says its charging it ends up being almost dead by morning.
No biggie if that's a known "feature", I have an extra wall charger I'll use. I'm just used to leaving my phone(iPhone) on USB all night and then I can easily sync it before work in the morning.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Wireless Sync

Are you guys having any luck charging your phone via USB on a Windows 7 machine when its in sleep mode? Mine charges, albeit very slow, when the laptop is on. But when I put it in sleep mode for the night, even though the phone says its charging it ends up being almost dead by morning.
No biggie if that's a known "feature", I have an extra wall charger I'll use. I'm just used to leaving my phone(iPhone) on USB all night and then I can easily sync it before work in the morning.

Another related feature is the ability to wirelessly sync when plugged into the wall charger. This allow one to keep the device in a seperate room from the syncing lap/desktop. There was a recent thread here that may interest you detailing the progress of someone getting their WP7 to sync wirelessly.

This may explain the reason for the "feature" you have described.

(I personally have not tried charging via USB.)

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I left mine plugged into my Xbox over night. (My Focus).

Where as my Incredible seems to charge rather quickly, this thing seemed to charge up for a while, but was nearly dead in the morning.

Wall chargers seem alright. But something worrisome, is 12 Volt car charges. I' think it worked fairly decently over time for me over the weekend, but I wonder if it has similar effects.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it's clear to everyone, but most USB ports are 12 volt, versus the typical wall port which is 120 volts. It is normally slower for a USB port to charge, it just seemed distinctly odd how it was behaving with my Xbox.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Actually, USB ports are 5 volts DC versus 110-120 volts AC for wall outlets in the US. But the issue here isn't voltage; it's current. USB ports are 500-900 mA versus about 1.5A in most wall chargers. That's up to three times more current than USB charging. More current, faster charging, although I don't know that I'd go much higher than 1.5A and risk damaging the battery.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

RedRooster

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
When your machine is in sleep mode though? Mine charges fine when the computer is on. I was just wondering about sleep mode, if your phones still charge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes