Windows Updates WP7 Drivers - Faster USB Charging ?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well as you know, when you have your fantastically wonderful handset connected to the Zune software on your PC and perform a windows update you get an update/s for your WP7.

I'm sure when I used the USB to charge the phone previously it took forever for the battery charge indicator to move up, so reverted to always using the mains adaptor.

Since the WP7 updates (which i recieved 2 updates - Other Devices WP7 update, & Other Devices WP7 USB) it seems to be charging at the same speed as the mains adaptor.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour or am I a complete loony and nothing has changed at all ? :)

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I never really played with the charging much before the two update. Mine seems to charge at a fairly fast rate with either the PC, car charger or main plugin adapter. They all seem about equal to me.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Interesting palandri, I always used the mains charger as USB was always really slow at charging for me, don't know why, but it just was. Maybe it varies between handsets.

Thanks for your reply. :)

pittphan

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Confirmed!

I can confirm that the updated USB driver really sppeds up the charging from the computer's USB to WP.
Last night, before I updated the driver, my phone was hardly being charged at all from my PC. Then after I updated, I believe my phone went from 5% to 100% in like a half hour!!??!!
I know that sounds ridiculous and that's what I thought when when I saw it fully charged - thought it was just something wired happening - but it WAS fully charged.

I have to do some more testing...

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh i'm glad you posted pittphan, something has certainly changed with my USB charging for sure. It's so speedy now. Glad i'm not insane, well not quite lol. :)

iCaptnSpaulding

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I haven't updated the driver yet, keep meaning to but always forget - doh!

However, at the moment USB charging takes forever and I always plug into into the mains once I've synced or done what I need to with Zune. I'll try testing it, but it's pretty difficult with no % meter by the battery.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thats would be great iCaptnSpaulding if you already know your USB is slow, that would be an excellent experiment to show we aint insane. :)

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I had not really thought that much about but I will check it out I usually just put my focus on the wall charger every evening when I go to bed.

iCaptnSpaulding

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Sort of tested this last night - the best I could.

Battery was fully charged (green light) so I ran the first 'block' off the battery meter which is about 75-80%!?
I charged it then on mains until the light was green again (I'm using a HD7 sorry, in case other handsets don't display a light when charging) and it took 30 minutes.
I ran the battery back down (doesn't take very long on the HD7 unfortunately) and tried USB and the light still wasn't green after 1hr10min. I had to disconnect then as I had to go out but at least it proves USB *was* inferior.
I'll try updating tonight to see if there is a difference. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett