I'm failing

Acer904

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Recently jumped in headfirst after much research and went with a Focus when my upgrade came available a month ago. So far and post Mango...loving it. I have issues though. When I say " I have issues.". I mean my wife does therefore I do too. I convinced her to upgrade from her archaic iPhone 3g to a Focus as well. I forced Mango on both of our phones and its not going well. Mine is fine but since the update hers crashes multiple times per day (reboots at random). Or the screen will freeze and she can't get it to do anything. The issues she's having combined with a steep OS learning curve and not to mention the fact that the 4s was just announce has made my case in favor of WP7 fairly weak. She is tired of the problems and wants to get an iPhone again. What to do?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Acer904

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I guess my point is that I shouldn't care if she's **** bent on crapple but I lose out if she goes back to iOS. I love having our calendars synched, photos and docs on SkyDrive, etc. Not mention all of our computers are PCs. Everything just works better with us both on WP7. Sorry for the long posts...I'm just distraught.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Can you exchange her phone? Maybe a different be will do the trick?

Sent from my non mindless sheep iphone Samsung Focus using Board Express

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd agree with the factory reset then, if that doesn't fix it, returning it for another.

As for trying to convince her to like the phone, I would try to show her those new 15-second clips that Microsoft just released that show off the new features. Not only would those maybe introduce her to new features, but could give her ideas of how to better integrate the features into her life.

Here's the list of the clips that WPCentral posted earlier: http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-releases-seven-new-mini-commercial-spots-windows-phone

Acer904

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
She thinks very linear so the way android and iOS operates appeals to her. Open an app, close app, go back to home screen, open another app...maybe she will jus have to get used to the hubs to appreciate it. Thanks forte advice though.

Acer904

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
If all else fails I could just lie and tell her AT&T won't give her a different phone but they will replace her Focus with a new one. :)

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
A) find her some accessories she really likes that allow her to personalize the phone after you get all the software issues resolved.
B) if she really doesn't take to it after giving it a shot for a while then it ain't worth the harassment you will endure for the foreseeable future.

Airanp

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If all else fails I could just lie and tell her AT&T won't give her a different phone but they will replace her Focus with a new one. :)

I was going to say that lol. Too bad you didn't wait for the new wave of phones that are coming though, then she might have fallen in love the the Focus S or the Titan. Once I switched to my Focus, I tried to play with my wifes iPhone and I hated it. I couldn't believe how I ever liked it in the first place. Thankfully she is having mad issues with hers now and is going to switch to WP, but I told her to wait for the Titan, which she seems to think will be awesome. It's hard to get people to see how different things can actually be better.

Acer904

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
A) find her some accessories she really likes that allow her to personalize the phone after you get all the software issues resolved.
B) if she really doesn't take to it after giving it a shot for a while then it ain't worth the harassment you will endure for the foreseeable future.
I did get her the cover she wanted. Maybe some custom ringtones and cool apps will get her excited.

Sent from my right thumb using Board Express

Acer904

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Airanp, sadly that was my first thought. :). I know how you feel about picking up an iPhone after experiencing wp7. I tried to use my son's iPod touch the other day and I was lost without a back button. It seemed like a dumbed down smart phone OS. Built for the masses with no soul and lack of character...bleh.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, first thing's first, do a factory reset. Next, get her apps like a period calendar (I know, but my gf had one and she loved it lol), FML, typical fb and Twitter, pin you as her contact and show her fb feed, show her fb chat built in, pin The Weather Channel (idk, I think having the weather displayed constantly is awesome), if she likes movies download Flixster for her (and show her how to pin local theaters and movies, download a good YouTube app such as Lazyworm's, make her an XBL avatar if she doesn't have one, then get her a Zune Music Pass and show her how she can download and stream over 2 million songs anytime she wants :)

L

lumic

Try a trade-in, but this is the problem with wpcentral stating force-updating is the solution to everything. In many cases, it's stopping the manufacturer from pushing firmware updates that enable features and improve stability (my Omnia was fairly unstable when running the RTM, but since a Samsung update it's been great).

Acer904

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok, first thing's first, do a factory reset. Next, get her apps like a period calendar (I know, but my gf had one and she loved it lol), FML, typical fb and Twitter, pin you as her contact and show her fb feed, show her fb chat built in, pin The Weather Channel (idk, I think having the weather displayed constantly is awesome), if she likes movies download Flixster for her (and show her how to pin local theaters and movies, download a good YouTube app such as Lazyworm's, make her an XBL avatar if she doesn't have one, then get her a Zune Music Pass and show her how she can download and stream over 2 million songs anytime she wants :)

Do you know my wife?! LOL. Factory reset done. We'll see how the day goes. She's off today and will be on her phone a lot so this should be a good test. I have been showing her how to properly use the features of mango and wp7 and it seems to be growing on her. She seems to be fond of the photo options with uploading, tagging, and captions all done on the phone before sending it to FB. We'll see.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
If a factory reset doesn't fix it I'd exchange it. A phone that doesn't work properly is a nightmare. Maybe once she has a working phone she'll appreciate the goodness of mango.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Try a trade-in, but this is the problem with wpcentral stating force-updating is the solution to everything. In many cases, it's stopping the manufacturer from pushing firmware updates that enable features and improve stability (my Omnia was fairly unstable when running the RTM, but since a Samsung update it's been great).

its doesn't make any difference if you force the update, you get everything available as an update for your phone. Did it on my DVP and it got the same firmware update I got as my second device that did not force the update, and I have no problems on the forced one. And others have confirmed they are fully up to date as well. Forcing the update is not the issue here.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Do you know my wife?! LOL. Factory reset done. We'll see how the day goes. She's off today and will be on her phone a lot so this should be a good test. I have been showing her how to properly use the features of mango and wp7 and it seems to be growing on her. She seems to be fond of the photo options with uploading, tagging, and captions all done on the phone before sending it to FB. We'll see.

Lol no I do not but obviously she's similar to my girlfriend haha. So how'd her day go with the phone? I'm sorry but the thought of losing someone on WP7 to an iPhone kills me lol.

Acer904

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Bad news is her phone is still randomly ****ting down so we will be contacting AT&T for a replacement. The good news is I told her that I would not allow her to get a bottom tier smartphone like the 3gs so she would have to at least get the iPhone 4. She is not willing to spend $100 on a phone when she can get one for free (we're not cut from the same cloth obviously) so a replacement Focus it is. Woohoo! Yes, I played on her frugal tendencies and I'm not ashamed of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes