using WP7 with Mac and its applications?

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I have a Mac, which is my work and personal computer and use mostly Mac applications only. Like Mac Mail app(for work), iWorks(for work), iPhoto(work+personal). Don't use outlook or MS office.
I am a self-proclaimed Nokia fan, so with Nokia switching to WP7 only in US, am thinking to go WP7(my choice) with a company sponsored phone or iphone4S(company's choice).
My company is totally anti-microsoft and anti-windows.(not me). So want to know, if anyone has any experience in configuring Mac email on WP7. Our office incoming mail is IMAP and outgoing is SMTP. So just wondering, if I can configure that mail on WP7, just like it shows up on iphone with all the respective folders,etc well defined as on MAC and iphone?

If I can get mail working relatively good on WP7, then I can justify going to WP7, iWorks etc is not a big deal as don't expect doing any editing work on my phone,except opening pdfs, which I assume is possible in WP7 free?

Also, is there a way to sync iCal on my Mac and on WP7 calendar or any other solution?
and how to sync contacts and music between Mac and WP7 and skydrive?

Mail,calendar,music and contact sync are the most important applications for me.

SirHaxalot

May 7, 2011
www.wp7board.com
IMAP and SMTP is standard mail protocols so that shouldn't be any problem as long as you have the server and login details.

I don't know about the others, but I think that iPhoto and iCal should work with the Mac connector.

nesl247

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
iPhoto is actually required to sync photos. It can't pull them from a directory. As far as iCal goes, you are out of luck. You have to get your Mail/Cal/Contacts from a server (Ex. Gmail), not an application. iTunes is required for ringtones and music.

lycosman

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Actually, the way WP syncs your stuff is not dependent on your Mac. You only need WP7 Connector to sync media, updates and backups. All the rest is made directly from the phone to the cloud.

So, if you use Gmal, Hotmail or whatever, you just need to set it on the phone and it pulls all your stuff directly from the internet (emails, calendars, contacts). The thing is, if you use a MobileMe account though, you'll only get emails from the account. WP seems not to work with the calendar and contacts on MobileMe.

I use 4 accounts (Live, Gmail, Gapps and MobileMe) and that's the only issue I've come across (then again, my Gapps account is my main account). Don't know whose fault it is.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Easiest way I found was to sync iCal with a Google calendar and then sync that account with the phone. Mac support (compared to windows support for the iPhone) is still disappointingly basic, but the core stuff is there.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
No, because I don't want one. Maybe Microsoft should sort it out if they want WP7 to appeal to as wide an audience as possible though, eh?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon