My Gripes with WP7

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
wow, I thought the whole "why do you need this feature that is available on other platforms, you can just do this work around which isn't as intuitive nor practical.So stop complaining about my perfect preferred platform" attitude was exclusive to apple fans.

Naah, it's exclusive to fanboys in general. They come in all formats ;)

narrow-minded

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
well what en cojos is the big deal about it when agenda view shows the same info? just seems ridiculous to complain about it

I'm sorry that you don't see the benefit of seeing the entire week at once, as opposed to just a few hours that can be shown at once with Agenda or Day. I, however, see great benefit in it and used it all the time with Android. It is my preferred view for my laptop calendar as well.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
See my previous post for your solution

I'm sorry that you don't see the benefit of seeing the entire week at once, as opposed to just a few hours that can be shown at once with Agenda or Day. I, however, see great benefit in it and used it all the time with Android. It is my preferred view for my laptop calendar as well.

I still think you should see my previous post. Trophy for Fascinate, rooted; etc.

kallemia

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree with you narrow. The Agenda is NOT a good substitute. At best it's a kludge. You have to scroll around, and because the Date headings are in a small type face, albeit capitalized, it is harder to use. Why not make the dates in reverse color - with a black text on a gray bg running across the width of the agenda. Would be much better.

But, still, would not be a replacement for the Week view. Personally, since I use this for both work and personal matters, I'd also like a Work Week option.

I've managed to get used to using the Agenda display, but it requires too much scrolling, IMO, and is not well laid out (see above).

I imagine that one reason they aren't offering a week view, is that it would only work in landscape. Perhaps that's harder to implement in the context of the pivot display that is there now.

Kalle

narrow-minded

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I still think you should see my previous post. Trophy for Fascinate, rooted; etc.

No thanks. If anything, I'm within my 30-day period, so I can return it for an Incredible 2. I just wanted to give WP7 a good try.

I'm trying to like WP7, I really am. It's just the Calendar is probably the most important app for me, and, frankly, WP7's Calendar is mediocre.

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
No thanks. If anything, I'm within my 30-day period, so I can return it for an Incredible 2. I just wanted to give WP7 a good try.

I'm trying to like WP7, I really am. It's just the Calendar is probably the most important app for me, and, frankly, WP7's Calendar is mediocre.

back to Andy over lack of week view? seriously? hope u have fun with all the malware and buggy apps that like to FC.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Did you miss the bit about how the calendar is the most important app for him?

There's absolutely no point whatsoever sticking with a phone - any phone, any format - that doesn't do what you need it to. All it's going to be over the length of a contract is a bigger and bigger pain in the rear.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
It would be nice to have a week viw in calendar I dont see it as a reason along to move to Android. I would hope that the week view in calendar would be in the next update. It is useful at times for me not useful enough to have a seprarate app for it but I can see that it does have its uses. I would prefer it to be built into the calendar itself.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I'd say is to look for some calendaring apps that might be more well-featured. But, of course, that isn't integrated into the phone as the Live calendar is.

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

There's absolutely no point whatsoever sticking with a phone - any phone, any format - that doesn't do what you need it to. All it's going to be over the length of a contract is a bigger and bigger pain in the rear.

it's obvious that u missed my point. this is like wanting to move out of a neighborhood that's otherwise perfect because the hot water didn't last long enough.

jim_h

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a great car for sale. It won't make left turns. But you can always just drive another block and make 3 right turns.

WayneDiesel34

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Well if that is the most important feature for him, and android supposedly does it better, why did he get a WP7 phone from the jump? Instead of just testing it out in the store?

When I had my droid 2, the e-mail and social media capabilities on android to me was the worst. When I started looking into the Trophy, I saw that they it handled what I most importantly wanted it to handle.

Then just to be on the safe side I tested it out in the store. Once I tested it, I was sold.

A lot of people make the same mistake. They get something without checking to see if it does the things that most important to them. Almost like a blind purchase.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
it's obvious that u missed my point. this is like wanting to move out of a neighborhood that's otherwise perfect because the hot water didn't last long enough.

No, I think the point is for some reason you assume if you're fine with something everyone else should be fine with it, and you seem unable to accept other people have different - and perfectly valid - opinions and requirements. Besides, it's not like "the hot water is used up" - it's like there is no hot water in this neighbourhood and there never is. There might be one day, but now? None. You can have lukewarm or cold. You, as it happens, are happy with lukewarm or cold. The OP isn't.

And in reply to the post above, it's in the trial/return period, so I'm pretty sure giving it a trial is/was exactly what the OP is doing?

thawk45

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I love WP7 but I hate that the signal strength doesn't stay visible all the time. I thought in mango there was supposed to be a setting where you could have it displayed all the time.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
So... I've read the posts that say how important "week view" is, but none saying why exactly...

You have appointments this week? It's in your agenda list. You don't? It's not in your agenda list.

Maybe it's because I never saw week view before? For some reason, I have doubts it's magical and it really doesn't sound as efficient.

I have a great car for sale. It won't make left turns. But you can always just drive another block and make 3 right turns.
I have a great car for sale, too. It doesn't go straight forward, but you can swerve left and right until you get to wherever you want to go.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
why is day view important? why is month view important?

because it conveys what is available and what is not for the week. It allows you to see at a glance where you can put a meeting this week, just as I do every day in outlook's calendar weekly view.

it's far more efficient than agenda view. And with Windows Phone claiming to be more efficient in a shorter time than other phones, it's a necessary feature.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
why is day view important? why is month view important?

because it conveys what is available and what is not for the week. It allows you to see at a glance where you can put a meeting this week, just as I do every day in outlook's calendar weekly view.

it's far more efficient than agenda view. And with Windows Phone claiming to be more efficient in a shorter time than other phones, it's a necessary feature.
Sorry, your argument still didn't make sense to me. If you're trying to fit a meeting, look at your agenda and you'll see all your appointments (i.e., the times when you won't be able to fit the meeting in) and, then, you can plan around your other appointments. It seems like the same thing to me.

If I'm missing something, I am asking you to tell me what it is. I'm not closed off to the possibility that week view may be useful. I honestly can't see it though.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Yep thats the way it was in the Kremlin back in the 30s through the downfall of Communism you had to make three rights turns to to avoid any left turn.

kallemia

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
If you have a lot of meetings, that doesn't work so well with the Agenda. At best you can only see 4-5 appointments at a time. Week view shows the blocks of time graphically so you can see when you CAN meet a lot more easily.

I use outlook at work and I am scheduled by a lot of colleagues. Week view would be convenient for me to have.

Oh and iOS 5 has it...

Kalle

Sorry, your argument still didn't make sense to me. If you're trying to fit a meeting, look at your agenda and you'll see all your appointments (i.e., the times when you won't be able to fit the meeting in) and, then, you can plan around your other appointments. It seems like the same thing to me.

If I'm missing something, I am asking you to tell me what it is. I'm not closed off to the possibility that week view may be useful. I honestly can't see it though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon