MMS, Instant Messages, and WiFi - Help!

ElektroDragon

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to smartphones and very confused:

1) Is there a way to send Live Messenger IMs over WiFi without AT&T charging me 20 cents for them? If WiFi is on, I shouldn't get charged 20 cents for IMs, right?

2) How can I send an MMS over WiFi as opposed to an SMS, and will AT&T charge me 20 cents for the MMS over WiFi?

3) When I'm on 4G with no WiFi, how the heck does AT&T know that I am sending/receiving an IM (Live Messenger) message over the data network and charge me 20 cents for it?! Why isn't this included in the data plan?

Thanks for any help here!

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
MMS by its definition is cellular messaging, so no you can't send them over wifi. But if you're on wifi, send it as an email?

ElektroDragon

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
MMS by its definition is cellular messaging, so no you can't send them over wifi. But if you're on wifi, send it as an email?

Thanks, though I still need answers to 1 and 3. :) Anyone? I have discovered that I can send the Live Messenger IM texts with 4G data off and WiFi on. I'm conducted an experiment to see if AT&T charges me for these IM messages when 4G is off and when it is on (and while WiFi is on all the time). To clarify, the IM messages are to other logged in IM Live Msgr accounts, not to any phone or anything like that.

If anyone knows the answers offhand though, I'd love to hear them.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to smartphones and very confused:

1) Is there a way to send Live Messenger IMs over WiFi without AT&T charging me 20 cents for them? If WiFi is on, I shouldn't get charged 20 cents for IMs, right?

IMs use your 'data' allowance. Just like surfing the internet. If you're connected via Wifi, you won't be charged by your service provider. You also won't be charged (if you don't exceed your data allowance) if you're connected via 3G/4G. Data allowance and text messages are entirely different. :)

2) How can I send an MMS over WiFi as opposed to an SMS, and will AT&T charge me 20 cents for the MMS over WiFi?

As Pronk has suggested - email is your friend, but also look into apps such as whatsapp and Kik. They allow you to send media to friends who are also using the same app; these apps use data. Saying that, so does Messenger.

3) When I'm on 4G with no WiFi, how the heck does AT&T know that I am sending/receiving an IM (Live Messenger) message over the data network and charge me 20 cents for it?! Why isn't this included in the data plan?

Thanks for any help here!

Although I don't know AT&T's T's and C's, that doesn't sound right. Are you sure you're not confusing these messages for 'text messages'?

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'd be willing to test this further with you. Live messenger is integrated into the messaging system of the phone. Contacts are suppose to appear there just like they do for facebook. I don't use Live Messenger currently but would like to try it out. Send me a PM with your username and lets see what happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos