CarrierIQ Spyware (Seems Very Nasty)

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Masked you wonder why is AT&T sending out surveys to all the new WP users. Could it be because they can't review your data the only way they can know how much you use and like your phone is to conduct a survey? Seams like that's something they don't need to do on Andy and IOs because they can just review the data to see if you like you phone and how much you use it

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Who knows Big D5, that software is a total privacy invasion in my eyes if it's doing what it seems to be in that video.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Masked you wonder why is AT&T sending out surveys to all the new WP users. Could it be because they can't review your data the only way they can know how much you use and like your phone is to conduct a survey? Seams like that's something they don't need to do on Andy and IOs because they can just review the data to see if you like you phone and how much you use it

Just Android. It's not on iOS either (or at least not in the same sense that it's carrier's keeping tabs on everything you do: Carrier IQ references discovered in Apple's iOS | The Verge)

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
The sad thing is, WP7 is exempt not because it's insanely secure or anything like that but because the carriers can't be arsed to monitor it.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
It's concerning because of the way Carrier IQ first reacted, by threatening litigation, etc. They got caught and went on the defensive, so that immediately makes you wonder why they were being so secretive about it. They later apologized to the guy who made the discovery but the cat was already out of the bag. Like WeeBear stated, there is a huge storm brewing on this one.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm shocked that I read a lot of people that are alright with this.

Does no one see what this kind of breach of our personal freedom leads to?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
^ That's surprising considering the hammering MS got from location data being collected from WP camera devices. . .

. . . and that is like a fart on a windy day compared to this humongous turd.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm shocked that I read a lot of people that are alright with this.

Does no one see what this kind of breach of our personal freedom leads to?

Yeah, but Android is open isn't it, so that makes everything alright - piracy, market fragmentation, malware apps, uninstallable bloatware, locked down bootloaders, massive invasion of privacy. All OK, because it's "open" ;)

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Its only open to users so inclined, and lucky enough to be able to unlock their bootloader. Thigh there should be a way around that, iirc.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I think we all can be happy that we have WP7 devices. It's times like these that I am glad I am part of the "nitch" group of people with the smaller fanbase :)

I <3 you guys!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes