Android user with questions

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Okay having Nokia on board has peaked my interest in the OS. Used to rock the old Symbian S60 N95. I just have a few general questions about it and if it will suit my needs.

I am invested pretty heavily into the Google eco-system (gmail, calendar, youtube, google chat, G+, etc. ). How does Windows Phone 7.5 handle some of these functions? Does gmail and calendar sync pretty much immediately like it does on my Nexus One?

Another problem I may run into is that most of my computing is done on a Linux laptop. How soon do you think they will be able to do over the air updates? It isn't a complete deal breaker since I do have a windows desktop but I really do love that laptop :).

Thanks for any that can answer. Looking forward to potentially choosing between a high end Nokia and the Galaxy Nexus on at&t.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Okay having Nokia on board has peaked my interest in the OS. Used to rock the old Symbian S60 N95. I just have a few general questions about it and if it will suit my needs.

I am invested pretty heavily into the Google eco-system (gmail, calendar, youtube, google chat, G+, etc. ). How does Windows Phone 7.5 handle some of these functions? Does gmail and calendar sync pretty much immediately like it does on my Nexus One?

Another problem I may run into is that most of my computing is done on a Linux laptop. How soon do you think they will be able to do over the air updates? It isn't a complete deal breaker since I do have a windows desktop but I really do love that laptop :).

Thanks for any that can answer. Looking forward to potentially choosing between a high end Nokia and the Galaxy Nexus on at&t.
I'm VERY heavily invested in Google as well. Our entire messaging architecture is all Google.

Gmail, once I figured out how to enable immediate push, emails are better, but sometimes, there seems to be some sort of lag. I'm still trying to figure that out. Never more than a minute or two though.

Gcal, seems to update when Gmail syncs. I will do some more testing to see if Gcal syncs W/O having to have an email force an update.

Google Voice still seems to work fine. In fact, it works better than it did on BlackBerry. One push and I am listening to the vmail.

Forget Google Maps, Gtalk and G+. Those just aren't there yet. BUT there are alternatives. You just have to be willing to live with those alternatives until they get ported. I'm seeing this as an opportunity to try something new.

I'm looking at Tango and Skype (when it comes out. MS did purchase Skype recently afterall.) as alternatives to Gtalk.

There's a Google Maps kinda app right now, but it doesn't work that well. I'm figuring just give them time.

To be honest, I figured this would be the case. Google isn't going to give up their bread and butter to allow ANY competitor to get their apps. That just doesn't make sense. I'm wiling to find alternatives for now.

Good luck and have fun comparing.

As for the Linux laptop.... sicko... Seek immediate help... ;-)

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
One thing of note about the Google Maps, Gtalk, G+, etc. This is all googles fault, they are not supporting the OS and are also blocking Microsoft from developing software to use those features through threats of lawsuits, etc. I think it is a dick move of Google, because if Microsoft blocked them from using their products, Google would lose the majority of their users over all systems.

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm VERY heavily invested in Google as well. Our entire messaging architecture is all Google.

Gmail, once I figured out how to enable immediate push, emails are better, but sometimes, there seems to be some sort of lag. I'm still trying to figure that out. Never more than a minute or two though.

Gcal, seems to update when Gmail syncs. I will do some more testing to see if Gcal syncs W/O having to have an email force an update.

Google Voice still seems to work fine. In fact, it works better than it did on BlackBerry. One push and I am listening to the vmail.

Forget Google Maps, Gtalk and G+. Those just aren't there yet. BUT there are alternatives. You just have to be willing to live with those alternatives until they get ported. I'm seeing this as an opportunity to try something new.

I'm looking at Tango and Skype (when it comes out. MS did purchase Skype recently afterall.) as alternatives to Gtalk.

There's a Google Maps kinda app right now, but it doesn't work that well. I'm figuring just give them time.

To be honest, I figured this would be the case. Google isn't going to give up their bread and butter to allow ANY competitor to get their apps. That just doesn't make sense. I'm wiling to find alternatives for now.

Good luck and have fun comparing.

As for the Linux laptop.... sicko... Seek immediate help... ;-)

Thanks for the reply. I am not really married to Google maps since I do remember how well nokia maps and now nokia drive will do in that regards.

I am kind of surprised that Google hasn't started to invest into Windows phone considering how wonderfully they are being treated by the people from Cupertino. Maybe they will.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
You're going to need a Windows Live account. If you transition to WP, why not use it as an opportunity to divest some of yourself from the grip of Google?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
All ready got one for xbox live. I just don't use it.
Yeah, it's best to use that one. I didn't first time I set up my phone and I couldn't figure out how to get my gamertag set up correctly, so I just reset my phone and used my Xbox Live email address.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss