Anyone actually just enjoying their phone?

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely enjoying my HTC Trophy after nearly 3 weeks. Actually, I'm finding myself using it more than my Motorola Droid 2, despite the fact the Droid 2 has a physical keyboard and an unlimited data plan. The only major negative of the Trophy relative to the Droid 2 is the lack of a notification light for emails on the Trophy.

Assuming there are WP OS devices with 4G LTE and physical keyboard by mid-2012, I'll almost definitely buy a WP to replace the Droid 2 in late 2012.

BTW, I think the Metro interface is great, superior to all other mobile operating systems. I'm looking forward to buying an ASUS Transformer-like device with attachable/detachable keyboard that has Windows 8 OS (which will also have the Metro interface) in the latter half of 2012.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Nice to see people just tuning out the nay-sayers and enjoying their phones. My question is - does the cost of the carrier plan take away from it? Right now I'm on a T-Mobile prepaid phone that is literally costing me only about $2/month. So to go to a $90/month plan is a gigantic leap up in expense.

In all seriousness, once you get a solid smartphone (with any operating system), you won't want to go back to a feature phone. This is particularly true if you don't talk and/or text much and are more interested in internet access, apps, and in general being able to get information almost anywhere, anytime.

Because $2/month is practically nothing, my advice would be to buy a smartphone from a pre-paid carrier on a month to month contract and see how you like it. (Such a phone would almost definitely be an Android, and even though I'm starting to believe WP is superior to Android, Android is good as long as you at least have a mid-level device.) There are reasonably well-regarded, off-contract Android phones from some carriers for under $200 (and possibly even cheaper if you buy through eBay) and you only have to pay month-to-month and can cancel without penalty at any time. Also, if you want something with T-Mobile, they are considerably cheaper than Verizon or AT&T, especially if you want unlimited minutes & unlimited texting.

CobaltDragon

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
But I'm using a Motorola feature phone from 2004. I can't even access the internet on it anymore. It's a real dumb phone. I have yet to see any smartphone plan as prepaid.

All the carriers have monthly smartphone plans. I'm on TMobile's 4G $30 a month plan with my HTC Radar. I get unlimited text and data, and 100 talk minutes b/c I rarely use more than 80 minutes a month for talking. I get great coverage with TMobile - maybe if you live in the middle nowhere you won't, but I get great speeds on their 4G network everywhere I've been so far.

ThatTree

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
ThatTree, were you expecting another Windows Mobile variation ?

I was more concerned about the change from WebOS-style multitasking, which I used heavily. Mango app switching has turned out just fine for me, and there are so many other advantages: Zune Pass, Live Tiles (a nice balance between widgets and WebOS cards) and a healthier app Marketplace.

dragonide

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Its the time of gnashing of teeth and cries of woe it seems, when it comes to WP7. I agree things (sales) could be better but all the doom and gloom is a bit much, dont you think? Of course our resident haters (like our recent addition from Xda) are using this opportunity to "discuss" WP7 but frankly for me, nothing has changed. Still enjoy using my phone, its still stable, fast, virus free, and still just works. Seems like all of a sudden there is a dedicated campaign to kill WP7.

So is anyone else just enjoying their phone amid all the disaster stories and crystal ball predictions of the demise of WP7?

Super Quote Mode On

And I didn't understand the problem in the first place

Windows Phone is rocking atm ... just because someone says "WP should be shutted down" doens't mean he is right especially when he barely knows what he is talking about

Where I live, Nokia Lumia are selled like sliced bread

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Everyone I show my HD7 to loves it. TellMe is probably my fav feature. It works so well for me. When I show it to Android people, how I conduct a complete text msg convo 100% hands-free, they usually reply, "My phone can do that." To which I fein interest, "Really? Can you show me how?" Nobody's ever been able to show me. They usually reply, "Well, I've never used it, not sure how." Truth is... I own an Android. There are several options which claim to do this. vlingo is the best known with it's "vlingo in car" mode, but it doesn't work right. It's completely buggy. When it works, it only works for the first msg I send and often doesn't offer to read incoming msgs. Often it stops working half way through reading an incoming msg. Sometimes I even have to reboot the phone. It's crap frustration to the core.

Then there's not having to always go to back to the home screen and search for the icon for a releated app. So many things in WP7 provide means to launch related apps without going to the home screen... efficiency! What could be better.

By technical specs, my Android phone (the HTC Amaze 4G) is better than my windows phone. However, by user experience, my HD7 blows the Amaze out of the water. My HD7 is my phone, the Amaze is a toy.

I've gotten 3 people to adopt Windows phone and 2 more are preparing to switch.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Tellme is pretty cool. Just the other day, a friend dropped me off after a night out. We were sat in his car when I realised that I didn't have my door keys with me. I quickly whipped out my HD7, unlocked it and activated Tellme, all in a flash. "Call ..... on loud speaker"..... Tellme: "Calling ..... on loud speaker". His face was like - "darn... I want that phone.". :D

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely, still loving my Lumia and I can't see any reason for that changing to be honest.

It's nice to see a thread on here with some positivity in it because you're right, the vast majority on here seem to be complaints, moans and trolling. In some ways I find it a little hard to believe how negative some are about the OS, I would consider myself to be fairly exacting when it comes to technology but I've honestly not had a problem yet.

To be honest if I'd come to here before renewing my contract with a Lumia 800 I probably wouldn't have bought the phone due to the negativity on these boards.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes! I am loving my HD7 also! I could never use another smartphone OS. Seriously, if MS throws in the towel I'm going back to a feature phone!

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm more than enjoying my phone... I'm in love! I find myself starring at it for no reason and saying to myself how beautiful it looks. I have my Focus S unlocked and have all the apps that I need sideloaded. Live Tiles are freakin' ingenious!

I wasn't much of a fan of WM (except for the Treo 750 which I was in love with) as I didn't like hacking my phone to do an endless amount of things to get it to where I wanted it to be. So when Windows Phone was first announced, I had my reservations, but then the Surround was announced. When I went to the store to play with it, I noticed the Focus and was in awe! Ended up taking my Focus home and now, my 4S and other smartphones are toys that I have lying around the house, not even paying them any mind.

L

lumic

Very interesting post. Despite enjoying my phone (even more so during the holiday season), I can't help but notice the Android fans mobilising at tech blogs to express their distaste of competing platforms. Quite contrary to the festivity, can't they just enjoy their own devices?

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
stop.olvídate;1607048 said:
I'm currently using an HD7 on T-mobile prepaid $30 a month for 5GB of data,unlimited texts and $100 mins. They also have a value plan for $64 a month which has 500 mins/unlimited nights and weekends,unlimited texts and 5GB of 3G/4G data so not quite $90 a month unless u want 10GB of data.

Yea go ahead and spoil this mood of the thread. I for one love my hd7 and am constantly trying to push it to its limits which I have yet to do. Runs like a champ in everything I do.

I answered the question. I'll keep in mind from now on that they're all rhetorical and only praise is expected.

The hd7 was one of the worst launch phones. I only got it cause nothing else was available on my carrier. That's how desperate I was to have a wp7 device. The only selling point it ever had was the screen size.

You can push it to its limits easily by attempting to take a photo that isn't pink tinted or trying to view the screen outside on a sunny day.

I been doing a lot of blog reading and on Facebook and it looks like wp7 did get quite a few feature phone upgrades, which can explain something's.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dragonide

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I answered the question. I'll keep in mind from now on that they're all rhetorical and only praise is expected.

The hd7 was one of the worst launch phones. I only got it cause nothing else was available on my carrier. That's how desperate I was to have a wp7 device. The only selling point it ever had was the screen size.

You can push it to its limits easily by attempting to take a photo that isn't pink tinted or trying to view the screen outside on a sunny day.

I been doing a lot of blog reading and on Facebook and it looks like wp7 did get quite a few feature phone upgrades, which can explain something's.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I would never use the world "only" attached to "screen size" for a phone :B

Btw I don't have an HD7, so I am just kidding xD

TheDarKnight

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Switched from Android, and never looked back, what?s not to like about WP7? The brilliant Metro UI, the amazing Live Tiles, app connect features, the smooth transition effects and the clear fonts and text, oh and the amazing peoples hub ,groups and social network integration, and also the integration with all Microsoft services that I use like Hotmail, Xbox Live, Office, SkyDrive, Zune, (Outlook, SharePoint, Lync, Dynamics CRM and Mobility partner since I work for a Microsoft partner), I am glad I did the switch, no more crashes, no more wasting time looking for a missed call or a contact or a sms or feeds or just anything , just unlock my phone, look at the live tiles for 2 seconds, and I know what?s going on everywhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon