Different IE/OS Experience on Different Phones

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have an HTC Titan and my wife has a Samsung Focus S. I have noticed that some web pages render differently on the two devices. Seems like the Titan does a better job more consistently. The Focus S sometimes does not show the complete page. I have also noticed that I have four icons on my Titan on Bing: Local Scout, Identify Music, Bing Vision and Voice. The Focus S does not have Local Scout on the Bing page. Also, when I swipe left on my Titan to get to my applications menu, my apps are separated with letters allowing for an alphabetical search. Can't duplicate that on the Focus S.

Has anyone else noticed differences like this on devices? I thought the user experience was supposed to be standard.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure they're both on the same OS version? Both have mango, etc? Also check to be sure both are set to the same language/locale. The letter thing depends on how many apps you have installed.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Local scout (and other bing apps) wont appear for certain countries, so the only thing I can think is that your live ID is set to a different location than hers.

Other than that I've never noticed a difference on any Windows Phone with rendering.

For the "jump list" to appear on your app list you have to have a certain amount of apps installed. I think its 42 or 45.

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure they're both on the same OS version? Both have mango, etc? Also check to be sure both are set to the same language/locale. The letter thing depends on how many apps you have installed.

Both should be the same. I purchased them on the same day: Black Thursday sale after Thanksgiving. I know they are both Mango because the Titan and the Focus S are second generation phones that came out after Mango was released.

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Local scout (and other bing apps) wont appear for certain countries, so the only thing I can think is that your live ID is set to a different location than hers.

Other than that I've never noticed a difference on any Windows Phone with rendering.

For the "jump list" to appear on your app list you have to have a certain amount of apps installed. I think its 42 or 45.

I will check to see which country her Windows Live ID is set for. Had not thought of that. She does have far fewer apps installed than I do.

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have figured out the differences and it was all due to settings.

My Phone:
Allow Bing Location Access = Turned On = Local Scout Icon Visible on Bing.
IE Website Preference Version = Desktop Version.

My Wife's Phone:
Allow Bing Location Access = Turned Off = Local Scout Icon Not Visible on Bing.
IE Website Preference Version = Mobile Version.

Thanks for all of the input.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Glad you got it figured out. I didn't think about the location access. Makes complete sense for local scout (duh lol).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon