Plan B if RIM chokes

jefftam68

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I am a Blackberry user and lover. But considering all of the bad news these days surrounding RIM, I figure if Blackberry dies my plan B will be to go with WP. I don't like Apple - I can't buy into their whole culture, and I think Android just generally sucks for use as a reliable secure communications device. So, Windows it is. I figure that I don't really know much about the WP device so I may as well sign up here and read what you dedicated folks have to say about it and get myself educated. Thanks in advance for all the tips! Jeff

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Are you a business user that's worried about security or a general consumer who wants the basic stuff? If you just want the basics then I recommend grabbing a Lumia 900. I have one and it's a great little phone. If you're more of a business/power user then you should definitely wait until WP8. The added business features are amazing. Check the WP8 Summit on youtube for a rundown of WP8 business features. Some of the business features start around HERE but it's worth watching the whole thing.

Last edited:

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
BB->WP is the right decision IMO. I was all in on BB as well, had a short detour to Android while waiting for the Lumia and I have an iPad.

WP is the closest thing to BB of those in regards of getting things done.

I remember that we laughed a bit at WP7 over at Crackberry when it came out. My argument was that BBOS was the only OS that focus on getting things done but I have found that WP right in their heels and even has a lot more going for them.

Good plan B :)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I firmly believe that Rim will survive but windows mobile is a great platform in my opinion. Each platform has their own positives but winmo pretty much stands alone from all the others. If you want a fast device with no frills then winmo is the way to go.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
As others have said, I think Windows Phone will serve much better in the Corporate market when/if RIM does go under and is no longer able to service the business community. Windows is just simply more in tune with the business world than Apple or Google are. Irregardless of the apps available on their respective markets, MS has a more secure platform to work from and is able to incorporate into the existing infrastructure of most business uses.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Being a former BB Torch user myself, you will appreciate the Office Hub immensely and the simplified navigation will seem almost second nature after a week. Now I have to ask, what are you expecting in the way of keyboards from a WP7 device? Right now there are only three legacy devices with physical keyboards and two of them are GSM devices (LG Quantum & Dell Venue Pro) and the other is a Sprint device (HTC Arrive). As forum administrator Dave Blake mentioned, this is the thread to follow for tips and general questions. Welcome aboard!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes