Windows Phone is defined as much by what it is NOT as by what it is

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone is NOT your old iPhone. It doesn't have static grids of icons, an "app" that covers every functional requirement (rather than integrated features), a user model built around syncing with a desktop PC for most upgrades/media, and a legacy Mosaic-style browser. If you must have those things -- and it's more important than having a streamlined, modern UI with a focus on important data instead of sorting through dozens of extraneous notifications -- WP might not be for you.

Windows Phone is NOT your old Android. If rooting your device, having 17 browsers with customizable kernels and sixteen-layer-deep dropdown menus, replaceable kernels, a bunch of big ugly widgets on the home screen, and 300,000 apps that all look and function completely differently from app to app are more important to you than a stable, streamlined, efficient and malware-free experience -- WP might not be for you.

Incidentally, both the iOS and Android user models are WRONG for a majority of users. That's why Windows Phone even exists, and why it has opportunity.

Trying to make your new WP into your old iOS or Android device is the wrong approach. If you bought it for what it is, you should be learning how to migrate from the 1980s-style "icon/desktop" form factor to the Modern UI form factor. No more need for a "Facebook Messenger App" -- it's built-in. No more need for clicking the "back arrow" 16 times to get to the page you want in the browser -- just tap "recent pages" and then tap on the page you want. And so on.

If you aren't willing to do this, you're embarking on an exercise in frustration, just like a Mac guy who buys a Dell and then complains that it's not the same as his MacBook, or the iOS guy who wonders what happened to iTunes on his new BlackBerry Bold 9900.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...or the new Windows 8 desktop user who complains that it's not Windows 7. I'm right with you on all of that, OP.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
But they cannot even do screen orientation lock and playlist.....

This one always gets me... people complain about screen orientation. ALL iPhones and most Androids don't even have landscape mode for the home screen. Why is it such a big deal that WP doesn't either? Some apps do, some don't. This is the same across the board it's not JUST WP.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
This one always gets me... people complain about screen orientation. ALL iPhones and most Androids don't even have landscape mode for the home screen. Why is it such a big deal that WP doesn't either? Some apps do, some don't. This is the same across the board it's not JUST WP.

Yes, but sometimes we do lie on the side and a systemwide lock would be handy, not to mention that apps like messaging doesn't support lock.... It's annoying. And windows phone has so many annoying things

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
WP has a different way of doing things. If you're migrating from a different OS, and expect it to be the same, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

There are a bunch of things that would annoy me if I was using an iPhone or Android phone. But that's because I'm so used to a workflow that is built around Windows Phone.

If your workflow is built around a different OS's strengths, you'll be annoyed unless you change the way you work.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I really like the OP.

A LOT of the complaints I have read in this forum have, when studied, come down to people getting frustrated because WP does not do things the same way as Android and/or iOS. But when you just find out how WP does it usually the WP way is a lot more efficient and simpler even.

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Trying to make your new WP into your old iOS or Android device is the wrong approach. If you bought it for what it is, you should be learning how to migrate from the 1980s-style "icon/desktop" form factor to the Modern UI form factor. No more need for a "Facebook Messenger App" -- it's built-in. No more need for clicking the "back arrow" 16 times to get to the page you want in the browser -- just tap "recent pages" and then tap on the page you want. And so on.

I agree for the most part. Sure, the WP way of doing things is great. But it also has limitations, things which I think the "old way" does better. Change is good - but only when it's an improvement.

For example, the browser. This is my pet peeve. Recent pages isn't enough. What if you want to find something from a long time ago? There's no "recent search" and scrolling lists of 100 visited sites (without fast scrolling!) is annoying. And why, why are there no forward and back buttons? Why? I use UC Browser, which has more features like a "legacy Mosaic based browser". Alternate apps like a dedicated Facebook Messenger are often more fully featured than what's integrated. A lot of people like 3rd party Twitter clients, for instance.

I love WP but hate some things done in the name of simplicity. The browser features in particular are not beyond average users and hinder more than help. What I want, is a "streamlined, modern UI with a focus on important data" that is capable of more than the basics, whether integrated or through 3rd party apps. That is what I hope WP will become. It's not wrong to want a new WP device to replace something else. I think this is why some people bought and returned WP devices. IMHO, they have potential. But they aren't capable replacements AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

- a Lumia 710 owner who has never had an iPhone or Android

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
What if you want to find something from a long time ago?

Save it as a favorite.

why, why are there no forward and back buttons? Why?

For the same reason there is no DOS prompt. Forward and back buttons are as obsolete as floppy drives, Mosaic, and CRT displays.

I think this is why some people bought and returned WP devices. IMHO, they have potential. But they aren't capable replacements AT THIS POINT IN TIME.

For users who want a propellerhead phone with a bunch of deep, highly specialized legacy functionality, Android is already out there (and super-cheap).

I think it is honestly that simple. I'd hate to see Windows Phone defaced with front and back buttons and other legacy concepts just to appeal to people who would be better served either by relearning a better way to do things (the Windows way) or grabbing an Android device.

Imagine if Apple had embedded the CP/M prompt in the original Macintosh so people didn't have to use "that mouse thingy," or if Windows 7 included provisions for "Program Groups" and shutting off the task bar. It's the same thing. It's time for users to abandon all those obsolete things you're listing and learn a better way.

That's what WP8 is all about. If it's going to be an operating system laced with obsolete 3-decade-old UI from the iOS and Android camps, it's going to fail automatically, since that would make it a "me too" OS (and harm its complete rethinking of how a device should function).

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
wVpl0.gif

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Forward and back buttons are as obsolete... I'd hate to see Windows Phone defaced with front and back buttons and other legacy concepts just to appeal to people who would be better served either by relearning a better way to do things (the Windows way) or grabbing an Android device.

That's kind of my argument, that the lack of legacy forward/back buttons is not necessarily better. For example, if there are two links on a page you want to visit, you must either press and hold to open a new tab, use the hardware back key or use the recent list. The recent list requires 3 taps. The hardware key doesn't work within IE if you multitask. Switching between tabs also requires 3 taps. None are as convenient or intuitive as a back button or the edge swipe gestures in some 3rd party browsers.
That's what WP8 is all about. If it's going to be an operating system laced with obsolete 3-decade-old UI from the iOS and Android camps, it's going to fail automatically, since that would make it a "me too" OS (and harm its complete rethinking of how a device should function).

Like I said, I support change only if it's for the better. Most of the WP UI is better in my opinion. But parts of it feel more like an ideal than a truly functional form. While rethinking how a device should function, we shouldn't make things harder to do. There's still room for improvement.

Good debate, by the way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss