Nokia Drive isn't all that great

kalo88

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I used HERE Drive on saturday for a 250 mile round trip along motorways, dual carriageways, smaller roads etc...

Got me to my destination perfectly, all the speed zones came up (and warned me to slow down, woops!). Very clear navigation, early warnings... I wish it had things like land guidance but I got somewhere I had no clue how to get to.. and back with no fuss :)

Very pleased.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I cant get the voice navigation to work at all. I have downloaded the voice and have it enabled, but when i enter a destination and set off there is only written directions, no voice directions. Has anyone had this problem? I an sure it is just a setting somewhere in my phone but cant for the life of me find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had this problem once, turn out I didn't have the volume up but I'm guessing that's not your issue. :)

I would probably recommend uninstalling HERE Drive and re-install it. It's something I have to do as well. I have an issue where my navigation 'breaks' and it gets confused. It's very annoying. It's happening on both my phone Lumia 920 and my wifes Lumia 820.

I hope they fix all these annoying issues with Drive soon. I really miss the way it works on my N8, it was great.

Aztekker

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the Symbian version is much better, more voices, and more features. It is pretty good on the E7 and is amazing on the 808. For now, until T-Mobile gets with it, the Lumia 810 stays in the drawer.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Used Nokia Drive for the first time last week, was impressed by how well the Offline Maps work. GPS without using Data connect= Im sold!

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I cannot remember if the Google navigator on Android used to do this or not, but one thing I love about Nokia's Drive+Beta app is the fact that it displays the speed limit of the current street (especially useful for streets where this changes a lot as I often find myself on a road wondering, 'what the heck is the speed limit here? why aren't there any signs! I don't want a ticket...', and, related to that, it ding, ding, dings when you exceed the speed limit (which you can tweak in the settings to notify you at whatever speed you want (e.g., 5ph over, 7 mph over the limit, etc.). Very useful!

Other than that, mine always announced all street names and is very, very detailed (in fact, sometimes too detailed or too instructive), and I was quite impressed with it (telling me to take the 3rd exit on a 'traffic circle' i.e., roundabout).

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I have Nexus 4 and Lumia 520. 520 has the best navigation system. Google cannot even match Nokia in map tech, hands down. Google needs data connection while lumia needs no connection and GPS locating speed is also very very fast on Lumia 520. I'm surprised a 10k INR phone can do such wonders.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
After using Here drive on my 8x, I'm very impressed with it, the only thing I think they really need to add, besides Points of interest, which are important, but not vital since you can still search for stuff inside the navigation menu, is traffic rerouting. Sure, bing maps was kinda so-so in the fact that it lacked 3d (not a huge deal IMHO) and offine maps (something I probably would'nt have used anyways), but its traffic rerouting was excellent and when the beltway around DC gets completely backed up with traffic, as it always does every day, its nice to find new and fast backroads to get you where you need to go. Other than traffic rerouting, Here drive is so much better, its faster, more accurate at recalculating routes, and more important, tru turn-by-turn navigation instead of having to tap the directions on bing maps every 30 seconds for it to shout out directions at you...

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I cannot remember if the Google navigator on Android used to do this or not, but one thing I love about Nokia's Drive+Beta app is the fact that it displays the speed limit of the current street (especially useful for streets where this changes a lot as I often find myself on a road wondering, 'what the heck is the speed limit here? why aren't there any signs! I don't want a ticket...', and, related to that, it ding, ding, dings when you exceed the speed limit (which you can tweak in the settings to notify you at whatever speed you want (e.g., 5ph over, 7 mph over the limit, etc.). Very useful!

Other than that, mine always announced all street names and is very, very detailed (in fact, sometimes too detailed or too instructive), and I was quite impressed with it (telling me to take the 3rd exit on a 'traffic circle' i.e., roundabout).

"Traffic circle" LOL. Is that was it is called in the US?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
"Traffic circle" LOL. Is that was it is called in the US?

I've only ever heard them called roundabouts, but the Nokia Drive Beta woman announcing them when I was driving in Arizona kept calling them 'traffic circles', which was disappointing because I really wanted to hear her say roundabout over and over.

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I have to say that my husband and I have both been very impressed with the capabilities of Nokia Drive on our 920s. We have used it many times and it has never failed to get us to where we are going - including a trip from southern California all the way home to British Columbia. Not once did it fail us. In fact we ended up using our Lumias rather than the dedicated GPS because when we had them running side by side we found that the Lumia was more accurate as well as showing us things like rest stops and fuel stations which the dedicated GPS wasn't even showing!

Like anything it takes some digging around and getting used to. I note that someone here said that it doesn't announce Canadian street names. That is absolutely not true. Once we downloaded the voice navigation module and the appropriate maps, it has always announced the street names for us, along with providing directions well in advance of an actual turn or highway off-ramp.

It seems that many people are quick to announce that something isn't working, or that they are disappointed in some aspect of the Windows Phone ecosystem when in many instances it is only a matter of a learning curve that they have not yet allowed themselves to follow. Yes things work differently on this system that then do on iOS and Android. Some things perhaps not the way that you are used to, or that you would want them to - many things it does better. But I have found that as long as you take the time to dig around, or ask questions here of all the very knowledgeable contributors to these forums you generally will hit the ah ha moment when you realize that yes it does work, I just didn't immediately know how to get it to do so. I really don't think that this is any different than any of the competition.

Our family is hugely happy with the efforts that Nokia has put forth on the navigation system for the Lumia line of phones. It has completely replaced our use of our stand alone GPS. As long as we have downloaded the maps for the areas that we are navigating through it is fast to find a route, always provides us with solid information and the fact that it is all done off-line with no additional carrier charges looming over our heads is just a bonus! I know as well, that it will only continue to get better as time goes by. So I for one have to give a hats off to Nokia in this respect. That's not saying that this Windows Phone doesn't have some quirks that need to be addressed but by and large the system tends to work beautifully.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon