Hi,

I have a Nokia Lumina 820.

I tested to see how accurate is to find my location using Windowsphone.com - (Find My Phone). When I tried it...gives me more like a perimeter where's my phone is located..

My co-work has an Iphone. When he located his phone using the apple site it was spot on. Actually the apple site looks like real-time gps. The Microsoft site is more like a snapshot.

Am I right about this or Am I doing something wrong.
    12-17-2012 01:35 PM
    It probably depends whether the phone is able to get and send a GPS fix, or if it has been indoors for a while and only has a cell tower to go off of. Even a non-military GPS will have a range of roughly 20 yards. Anything more precise is reserved. iPhones will be the same, though graphically they may show it differently.

I just tried it, and it did give a circle with a 30 yard radius. That said, the marker on the middle of the circle was only off by about 10 feet. (It said my phone was in a slightly different part of the building, but still darn close.)
    12-17-2012 01:42 PM
    I've always had really great accuracy with it, even with dodgy cell coverage.
    12-17-2012 01:45 PM
    It probably depends whether the phone is able to get and send a GPS fix, or if it has been indoors for a while and only has a cell tower to go off of. Even a non-military GPS will have a range of roughly 20 yards. Anything more precise is reserved. iPhones will be the same, though graphically they may show it differently.

I just tried it, and it did give a circle with a 30 yard radius. That said, the marker on the middle of the circle was only off by about 10 feet. (It said my phone was in a slightly different part of the building, but still darn close.)
    I just tried it and I'm in the neighbor's house, but my co-worker IPhone was spot on. I'll keep testing.

Thanks!
    12-17-2012 02:02 PM
    The GPS in Nokia phones have problems. My L920 often gives me locations across the street in Nokia maps.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express
    12-17-2012 02:06 PM
    I just tried it and I'm in the neighbor's house, but my co-worker IPhone was spot on. I'll keep testing.

Thanks!
    So when it said my wife was at the neighbor's house, it could have actually been the phone acting up? I better pick up some flowers on the way home...
    stmav and JPDVM2014 like this.
    12-17-2012 02:22 PM
    so when it said my wife was at the neighbor's house, it could have actually been the phone acting up? I better pick up some flowers on the way home...
    lol!
    12-17-2012 02:32 PM
    I just checked it, shows me right where I'm at. I'll try to remember and check it from a different location later.
    12-17-2012 02:35 PM
    There are two settings for this on your phone, the more precise setting is turned off by default because it uses more battery. Turn it on if you want it to be more exact.
    12-17-2012 02:43 PM
    Mine's always been extremely accurate. Looking at the map right now, it shows EXACTLY where i'm currently sitting in my place of work. I do have both settings checked off under the Find My Phone settings though, not sure what others have set.
    12-17-2012 02:45 PM
    Enable Settings -> Find My Phone -> Send apps to my phone using push notifications . That will allow Find My Phone to query the phone in realtime, and unrelatedly also enables the ability to buy Windows Phone apps via your PC's browser and they will be automatically installed on the phone.

-E
    12-18-2012 08:46 AM
    completely agree, my Lumia 920 was inaccurate by 4km's,

Turning on these settings made it accurate to within meters

Enable Settings -> Find My Phone -> Send apps to my phone using push notifications .
    03-19-2014 01:47 PM