Suggest WP* phones with good turn by turn voice navigation ??

Phoenix Wilson

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Currently thinking abt gettin a WP8 device with good offline turn by turn voice guided GPS navigation. How's lumia 520 ?? it doesn't come with a gyroscope. Will that come in the way of having a smooth trouble free navigation experience ??

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral :smile:

The lack of a gyroscope will affect accuracy when the satellite signal is obscured (for example when you are surrounded by tall buildings) - a phone will rely on it's accelerometer and gyroscope to work out how fast it's going and which direction it's facing in when the satellite signal is degraded or lost.

Phoenix Wilson

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thx a lot. So would you consider it a deal breaker making turn by turn nav impractical to use or just a minor annoyance. Nokia 920 is too expensive besides i don't like it's size/weight . If not the 520 which other phones would you recommend ??

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
That's really hard to say, as my minor annoyance might be your deal-breaker :smile:

The only WP phones with a full complement of sensors are the Lumia 920 and the Samsung Ativ S. My son's 620 does a reasonable job of navigating a city centre at walking pace (the Lumia 620, 720, 820 as well as the HTC 8X all have magnetometers so they can tell which direction they are facing)

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately pretty much none of us have a 520 yet. You can hope Dan will include some in-depth navigation thoughts in his review, and I / a family member may pick up the phone when it launches in a few weeks and would be happy to report back on how it is.

BadIntentVG

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I do not mean to hijack this thread, but is Nokia Drive turn by turn navigation automatic on WP8? As in, will it speak the directions without you having to touch the screen every time?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I do not mean to hijack this thread, but is Nokia Drive turn by turn navigation automatic on WP8? As in, will it speak the directions without you having to touch the screen every time?
Yes. Remember that it is still region restricted on non-Lumia phones. I believe spoken street names are also now available by selecting the "announced street names" voice, though I'm not sure if that's region restricted too.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the Windows Phone community.
There are many many posts on other threads about this topic. I suggest you read as many as you need, to feel that you have the answer that is right for you.
That said, I suggest the Nokia Lumia 822 with the Navigon Navigation App. The Lumia 822 is a solid great reasonably priced phone and Navigon is the very best full featured navigation App that I think, is worth twice it's price. The price, is high compared to other less functional Apps, but it does go on sale at half the price, from time to time. Read and decide what works for you.

My Lumia 822 is the best phone I've ever had and I've tried many navigation Apps over the years.

Best Wishes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes