Windows Phone 8 - Horizontal Start Screen concept

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If this was implemented so that changing the orientation of your phone changed the look of the start screen above and perhaps options to set how the double-wide tile behaves maybe even with a slick animation like when you change keyboard orientation this would be truly awesome. Nice concept!

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Rotation of start screen is already implemented on windows 8 so idk why the hell we don't have it yet.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

locoworks

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
all screens should rotate, not just the start. i'dlike to see the actual phone keyboard in landscape with the caller id photo to either side..

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
even though I like it, I think they'd implement it differently. All apps which provide double-wide tiles would be required to add another (the 4th!) tile to their app, a horizantal one.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I hate that the battery bar and everything on left (Its present in WP design language itself) , Why not at top ? (I meant in landscape view too)

Concept is amazing , Would love horizontal support for start screen , music player and store

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I like it! It kind of annoys me how the start screen doesn't rotate to landscape mode, so I hope they implement something like this :)

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I hate that the battery bar and everything on left (Its present in WP design language itself) , Why not at top ? (I meant in landscape view too)
The App bar is designed to "stay" next to the hardware buttons; the status bar is designed to stay opposite it. If the app bar stayed at the "bottom" and the status bar at the "top," there wouldn't be a lot of room for content and we wouldn't get the cool rotation animation of the app bar buttons. :)

Brad Pedersen

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I think developers would get annoyed with having to add another double vertical live tile to their apps. And I cant really see any other apps that a vertical tile would be useful for expect for the calendar as displayed. I can't personally think of why you would use the start screen horizontally, I know I wouldn't, but to each their own i guess.

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I think developers would get annoyed with having to add another double vertical live tile to their apps. And I cant really see any other apps that a vertical tile would be useful for expect for the calendar as displayed. I can't personally think of why you would use the start screen horizontally, I know I wouldn't, but to each their own i guess.

Many devs don't even have the 3 tile sizes that are currently available, so I don't think it'll be an issue anyway. For example, many apps don't have a double-wide tile, but not all apps need it, so it won't be available anyway. For devs that want to make a double-LONG tile, they should be able to. Plus, I'm sure they are going to introduce even more sizes when 1080p screens available (also with Windows Blue the double-wide-double-long (i.e. large square) tile). Devs that are interested will come up with interesting tile designs if the options are available.

Also - that's fine that you don't have a use for it, but many other people do. For example, when you're watching a video and instead of having to rotate your phone, you can continue using it in horizontal mode. People have their preferences, so nothing wrong with options.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
This is already an implementation of Symbian phones and it works very well so I'd love to see this brought to Windows Phone. Excellent concept by the way.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I can't personally think of why you would use the start screen horizontally
What if someone spent a lot of time playing games or watching videos, or preferred a landscape view for reading, typing, email, messaging, etc. It would be nice to not have to rotate the phone when switching between apps or using the start screen. As for a vertical tile, most tiles that have a lot of info could just as easily use a column view (weather forecast could show days going down; music player could show album art at top with track, artist, album info below; sports app could show final score with box details or scoring summary below it; photo tile could paradoxically show full-length portrait pictures).

haydt1

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

I use my phone 60% in landscape. In particular while driving. If nothing else there should maybe be a 2nd start screen that you could put certain tiles in for landscape mode and all apps should support landscape mode. Seems all my nokia apps and settings can switch but hardly any others.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
That was one of the first questions I asked here before switching to WP....what can I do on landscape mode? I love using it, and its comfortable to use with smaller screens ( easier on the eyes for me.) This start screen concept in horizontal mode is EXACTLY how it should look. Period. Exclamation point! Lol... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes