Installing apps on multiple devices

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
So I've bought a lot of Apps and would like to Install them on m'y sister's phone who's using a diff?rent MS account. Is it possible to do that?

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
So you're asking if it's possible to steal software and give it to your sister? Rethink what you're asking...why would that be fair? Is this the sign of our times?

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
So you're asking if it's possible to steal software and give it to your sister? Rethink what you're asking...why would that be fair? Is this the sign of our times?

iOS allows it.

I install all the iPad apps on my bro's iPod touch , we have 2 different accounts but iOS allows apps from different accounts to be installed (but we must authorize them first)

Its not stealing , Its called sharing.

EDIT : You say stealing ? does it mean family can't share apps among themselves ? For example , I play cut the rope and it is cloud synced among iPad and iPod . when a difficult level comes , we both try and one of us gets 3 stars on giving some trails .......once either of us get 3 stars , both devices get upto-date progress :) , That's the beauty of allowing such system by still having 2 different accounts for device warranty/ownership.

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Umm no. I bought it with my hard earned money, I dont consider that stealing... I can do it on iOS, I can do it on Windows 8, I can lend her a dvd, a bluray a music CD, I can give her a pan, a spoon or a fork. Why cant we also share apps on out phones?

Vander Legion

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Umm no. I bought it with my hard earned money, I dont consider that stealing... I can do it on iOS, I can do it on Windows 8, I can lend her a dvd, a bluray a music CD, I can give her a pan, a spoon or a fork. Why cant we also share apps on out phones?

Except when you lend her a dvd, bluray, cd, etc, you lose the use of said item while she has it. You're lending her the actual item, not a copy of it while you still have it yourself on your own device and can use it as well. Not the same thing. And just because you consider something stealing doesn't mean the law agrees with you.

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
So why dors MS help me do it on my PC? And Apple on my Tablet? Anw thanks for the help guys! Appreciate your help!

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
If you have multiple devices under your name/account, then you're loaning the device to her, not stealing a copy. Although, I'm positive that people abuse that to the extreme too.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site

There is no inherent right to be able to 'share' apps, even though you have paid for the right to use one. When you 'buy' an app, you are actually not buying the app, you're buying a license to use that app subject to certain conditions. You can share apps on iOS because Homeshare (or whatever it's called) is a licensing agreement created by Apple to allow people to do this under defined terms and conditions. AFAIK, Microsoft has no equivalent licensing arrangement for WP apps (nor does Google with Android apps). Licensing for Windows Phone apps is for use on a single account. It may be possible to transfer the license to another account, but then the license for the original device would probably no longer be valid.

Your analogy with DVDs, CDs is flawed. You have every right to lend her a DVD/CD - while she has it you can't use it yourself. If instead you copied the DVD/CD and gave her the copy to watch or listen to, you are in fact breaking the law by breaching copyright. So with an app, the equivalent would be for you to allow your sister to use your copy of the licensed app, but while she's using it, you can't. That's not what you are proposing.

None of this is new. Single user software licenses have been around as long as the PC.

So whether you consider it stealing or not, it is (practically speaking) stealing if the terms of the license you have purchased don't allow you to do it.

The question of whether the ability to share apps is a good thing or not, or something that companies should allow because it's good PR (as Apple must believe), is a completely different question.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs