Hover menus in internet browsers (Internet Explorer/UC Browser)

Cloud Denton

May 24, 2013
Visit site
When using Windows Phone 8.0 (Internet Explorer/UC Browser) and I come across a hover menu (a link in which one would normally (on a desktop) hover there mouse over and a drop down menu would appear) it simply opens the menu as if I clicked on the initial link (instead of giving me drop down options).

I can't remember how iOS and Android gets around this but since I moved to Windows Phone I can't find anyway to access those pages which require a user to click on a drop down hover menu, what can I do about this?

Example the menu bar at the top of the page: infowars.com

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If you press down on the link and hold sometimes the hover effect or action will take place. This is mostly a developer issue, as there are ways around this kind of behaviour but it's up to the developer of the website to make sure the behaviour on a website is consistent.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
webkit, the browser behind Safari and the Android browser, "lies" to websites by converting the first tap into a "mouse over" event; the "click" event is passed on the second tap. IE doesn't lie and it does supports a new/emerging standard for touch interfaces. Regardless of where one stands on the issue of "lying" and "new standards," users are left out in the cold. Web developers can fix this, but it's work and their clients would need to pay for it. The WP8 market share won't induce anyone to upgrade, but WP8 + Win8 touch might over the next year or so.

For now, I think that our only choices are to find other sites, deal with it, or move to another platform/

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
What we've done in our Web development is go to separate section navigation and eliminate drop down Navigation. It creates more clicks or presses; but with increasing Web access by touch devices it seems the easiest way to accommodate the wide range of user "IQ" that exists out there.

Until we have a true "hover" ability with touch devices it's going to be rough. . .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa