Picture File Naming System - Multiple Phone Conflict

scotthenry76

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I both have windows phones and we love them. One problem we are having is we keep our pictures archived together on our home desktop computer using the same file folder for each event. The problem is when we both take pictures of an event with our phones and then try and import them into the same folder we have duplicate names as our Windows Phones use the same naming system. I can manually change each file name before copying them into a folder but this is tedious. Is there any solution to change the default naming system for pictures taken in windows phone so that both phones are not creating identical file names?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone creates a file name for the pictures in the following format: WP_YYYYMMDD_nnn which cannot be changed by any settings on the phone. The only way around this is for you and your wife to have separate folders on your computer when uploading the pictures to your desktop.

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
A temp solution al be it not full proof wld be to take 15 - 20 pics on one device and then reset the camera. Doesn't that reset the counter back to zero? Like I said not full proof but cheap way to make them unique on each device until 1 takes 20 or so more then the other..... Just a thought

Adalberto Silva

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem, so i create a BATCH (.bat) file and i execute it each time i download my photos (before download my wife' photo).

Create a text file with NOTEPAD

for %%d in (WP*.JPG) do ren %%d B%%d

Save it with a .BAT extension

It reads all WP**********.JPG file names in the current directory and rename it to BWP**********.JPG

sleerf

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Select all, right click, rename, type in the date slightly different than her phone, enter. The files will all be renamed the date and each one in sequence will be appended with a -1, -2, -3 etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon