Are Voice Commands OFFLINE?

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Are Voice Commands OFFLINE? I mean do "Voice Commands" work OFFLINE in Airplane mode?

Speech recognition might require internet, but do voice commands work offline, e.g. open <app name> , or call <Contact Name> and similar.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I just checked on my 928 and I can verify that in Airplane mode, I can do some things but not others. I can start apps and call people, but I can't start the web browser or send a text.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
jleebiker just said that he can launch apps and call people when offline. He can't browse the web or send a text while offline, which makes sense because he'd have to be online to access the web or the cellular network to send the text.

What's really going on is that WP can handle offline recognition when there are limited, pre-defined vocabularies, such as the names of apps or contacts. For open-ended vocabularies (i.e., dictation), WP sends the audio to a Microsoft server for recognition and translation to text. Thus, open-ended dictation requires a network connection.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
He doesn't mean that he can complete a call, but rather than the phone -- without the benefit of network access -- can convert his speech into a command. That is, he can say "call Win DroidPhone at work" and the phone will understand that he wants to place a call, will figure out which contact he meant, and which number he wanted from the contact. This is consistent with what I said above: the phone has local speech recognition for limited, pre-defined vocabularies, but it cannot handle open-ended speech recognition.

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
He doesn't mean that he can complete a call, but rather than the phone -- without the benefit of network access -- can convert his speech into a command. That is, he can say "call Win DroidPhone at work" and the phone will understand that he wants to place a call, will figure out which contact he meant, and which number he wanted from the contact. This is consistent with what I said above: the phone has local speech recognition for limited, pre-defined vocabularies, but it cannot handle open-ended speech recognition.

Thanks.