WP8 device and app advice please

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm very close to making a final decision on purchasing a 1020 and it has got me thinking about expanding the WP empire at home. It would be great to be able to use the Family Room features for what they're intended but at present, it's impossible. The missus currently uses my old N8. I used to love that phone but it is vastly underpowered and features an under-supported OS by Nokia and developers so she's frustrated at not having any of the apps that her friends have. Our daughter uses a Samsung Galaxy Y which is a decent enough entry phone but as she's getting older, she's realising that she's missing out on some features.

With that in mind, I've been thinking about converting both to WP users.

The 520 seems quite appealing to the missus. She's only a casual camera user so I don't think she'll be too bothered with the drop in quality from the N8 but she would like to have access to fitness, diet, cooking, celebrity bollocks as well as a decent web browsing experience without the lags that cripple the Symbian browser. Is the 520 a good option for her?

Our daughter would love to have a front facing camera so I'm thinking the 620, 720 or 820 would be ideal. However, she would like decent Instagram support plus things like Kik Messenger and WhatsApp would be great. Facebook and Twitter are currently off limits until she can convince me having an account with either will be a worthwhile experience, but it's something to consider for the future. Would you recommend any of the handsets for her?

Thanks for any help.

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm very close to making a final decision on purchasing a 1020 and it has got me thinking about expanding the WP empire at home. It would be great to be able to use the Family Room features for what they're intended but at present, it's impossible. The missus currently uses my old N8. I used to love that phone but it is vastly underpowered and features an under-supported OS by Nokia and developers so she's frustrated at not having any of the apps that her friends have. Our daughter uses a Samsung Galaxy Y which is a decent enough entry phone but as she's getting older, she's realising that she's missing out on some features.

With that in mind, I've been thinking about converting both to WP users.

The 520 seems quite appealing to the missus. She's only a casual camera user so I don't think she'll be too bothered with the drop in quality from the N8 but she would like to have access to fitness, diet, cooking, celebrity bollocks as well as a decent web browsing experience without the lags that cripple the Symbian browser. Is the 520 a good option for her?

Our daughter would love to have a front facing camera so I'm thinking the 620, 720 or 820 would be ideal. However, she would like decent Instagram support plus things like Kik Messenger and WhatsApp would be great. Facebook and Twitter are currently off limits until she can convince me having an account with either will be a worthwhile experience, but it's something to consider for the future. Would you recommend any of the handsets for her?

Thanks for any help.
I ink the 720 would be best for both because the 520 misses out on some of the features like glance screen and it doesn't have flash, as for apps
We have an official MTV app, E news, and CNN for celebrity and world news. There is a kik messenger app but it has very little support so its not the best but the whatsapp app is great! Facebook and twitter are too. And there is no official instagram but we do have great third party apps that have all the same features and can post to instagram and everything, we also have a good amount of cooking apps. Just this morning windows phone central said Nokia is working with fitbit and Nike to make companion apps for their products but I'm not sure when they are being released, hope this helped

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
OMG...she's only gone and dropped her phone down the facking toilet!!

It switches on, but the screen doesn't respond to any interaction, the slide to unlock key works and it charges by USB and mains but not much else happens.

The only good thing about this is she dropped the phone into the toilet before using it. Small mercies!

May have to think about an Xperia instead of a WP now ;)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Her phone is working again! Woohoo!

Was a little worried for a while especially as the touch screen wasn't responding at all but a couple of hours on a radiator has revived it.

Just hope she's a little more careful when I get her new phone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven