Task Manager or force close an app

Manoj1551

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi Friends..

Is there a way i can force close an app which will be running currently.

Sometimes few apps freeze . so this option is very useful if i need to open certain app again. Like how we can force close an app in task manager in android

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Since he did mention lock-ups, though, I've had a few where the back button wouldn't exit the app. You can always hit start to get out. After that, you can hit back and all of the times I can think of the offending app will either throw an exception and close, or go back to working normally. I don't think I've ever had to reboot the phone due to an app lock-up. But if need be, you can always hold volume-down/power to reboot if nothing else works. I can't think of a time I've had to do that, though.

Manoj1551

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Since he did mention lock-ups, though, I've had a few where the back button wouldn't exit the app. You can always hit start to get out. After that, you can hit back and all of the times I can think of the offending app will either throw an exception and close, or go back to working normally. I don't think I've ever had to reboot the phone due to an app lock-up. But if need be, you can always hold volume-down/power to reboot if nothing else works. I can't think of a time I've had to do that, though.

Yes i have tried all these.. but i wanted to know if there is anything direct way to force close an app.. because, sometimes if a browser app freezes, back button wont work.. only home button works.. and i cannot open that browser app again until it commits suicide (self killed).. i need to wait sometime for that or need to open 4 to 5 new apps so that that frozen app gets killed.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes i have tried all these.. but i wanted to know if there is anything direct way to force close an app.. because, sometimes if a browser app freezes, back button wont work.. only home button works.. and i cannot open that browser app again until it commits suicide (self killed).. i need to wait sometime for that or need to open 4 to 5 new apps so that that frozen app gets killed.

If you get stuck in the browser which happens all the time with me on Twitter, hit settings, tabs and close the tab and back out, vwallah

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I like the whole thing of "not needing to kill an app" mantra, but it would be VERY helpful if MS would just make it so that when you tap and hold the back button to get your recent screens that you could swipe up or down and kill it.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My post was removed because of trolling, maybe because eric12341 didn't like what I said.
I still believe we all have voice here, so I'll express my opinion again in different words.

First of all, I'm simply tired of people who claims to know better than me what I need. Nobody can tell me what I need (or better, that I don't need something I want).
Also, for my point of view, everything wanted is needed.
The majority of WP users want a file explorer? Then it's needed.
The majority of WP users want a task manager (or a way to close apps like in ios) ? Then it's needed.
The majority of WP users want a objective useless feature? It's needed anyway, because if they don't find it they could switch to another os.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
My post was removed because of trolling, maybe because eric12341 didn't like what I said.
I still believe we all have voice here, so I'll express my opinion again in different words.

First of all, I'm simply tired of people who claims to know better than me what I need. Nobody can tell me what I need (or better, that I don't need something I want).
Also, for my point of view, everything wanted is needed.
The majority of WP users want a file explorer? Then it's needed.
The majority of WP users want a task manager (or a way to close apps like in ios) ? Then it's needed.
The majority of WP users want a objective useless feature? It's needed anyway, because if they don't find it they could switch to another os.

The majority of WP users want something that is completely useless and is taken care of automatically by the OS?

mcivor88

Banned
Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I love the simple task manager on my nexus. Simple swipe down and the app is closed. Brilliant. Looking forward to something similar in grd3. Keep er lit Microsoft

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The majority of WP users want something that is completely useless and is taken care of automatically by the OS?
Well, if you are referring to the ability to close apps, maybe it's useless for you... but someone else finds it useful (also because the os takes care of it only partially).
Moreover, it's not so hard to implement... it would be just a button or a gesture in the task switcher for every app. It's not invasive, and if you don't find it useful you can avoid to use it.
Why should you be against that?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If there truly was a majority that want these things, and it's that important to them, they would have left. But since WP is growing instead of shrinking, claims of "a majority of WP users want ..." sounds rather incredulous, when really, it seems that a very vocal minority want these things.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I get that some diehard WP fanboys don't want to plague our precious WP OS with anything related to iOS or Android...and unfortunately, that includes task management. However...have you stopped to consider that task management might actually be useful? I've already encountered a few apps that I wasn't able to "back up" to the previous screen to even get out of the app. So you're stuck with hitting the Windows key. But when you press the back button from there, you're taken back to the app that won't let you back up any further. You know what would help in a case like this (without having to restart the phone)? Go ahead...I'll give you some time to think and guess. A task manager! Windows Desktop versions have this embedded in its ecosystem - why is is so sacrilege to have it a part of WP?

I suspect that some voice their displeasure with the want for a task manager because it's one thing other OS's incorporate that we do not. Therefore, it's sort of a staple that sets us apart. Sorry - but, staple not needed. A task manager is something that could be useful. So stop telling people they don't need it when its clear that there are cases where it IS needed.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
If there truly was a majority that want these things, and it's that important to them, they would have left. But since WP is growing instead of shrinking, claims of "a majority of WP users want ..." sounds rather incredulous, when really, it seems that a very vocal minority want these things.

You, as a developer, I would assume have "developed" something for WP, correct? That means you found a need and you filled that need. Who, therefore, made the decision that the need you filled needed to be filled in the first place? You? Someone who hired you? If you solely developed something, you did so to fulfill a need or want. Why, then, would you be so biased against a need/want that someone else feels strongly about?

You, as a developer, seem like an oxymoron.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I get that some diehard WP fanboys don't want to plague our precious WP OS with anything related to iOS or Android...and unfortunately, that includes task management. However...have you stopped to consider that task management might actually be useful? I've already encountered a few apps that I wasn't able to "back up" to the previous screen to even get out of the app. So you're stuck with hitting the Windows key. But when you press the back button from there, you're taken back to the app that won't let you back up any further. You know what would help in a case like this (without having to restart the phone)? Go ahead...I'll give you some time to think and guess. A task manager! Windows Desktop versions have this embedded in its ecosystem - why is is so sacrilege to have it a part of WP?

I suspect that some voice their displeasure with the want for a task manager because it's one thing other OS's incorporate that we do not. Therefore, it's sort of a staple that sets us apart. Sorry - but, staple not needed. A task manager is something that could be useful. So stop telling people they don't need it when its clear that there are cases where it IS needed.
My suggestion would be to report the problem with these apps to the developer, and if that doesn't solve the problem, to Microsoft. Blocking the back button from backing out of an app violates the app certification requirements, and that is a requirement that has not changed since inception.

Technical certification requirements for Windows Phone
Requirement 5.2.4.2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077