Microsoft releases remote desktop app, for IOS/andriod, skips WP8

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
you miss read post.

If you feel embarrassed because Ms released a remote desktop app on apple phones then i feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but an app ain't one.

I don't mean myself personally, I mean for Microsoft (more specifically, the Windows Phone division). This app is worthless to me, means nothing. But from an image standpoint, this easily looks like Microsoft cares more about gettings apps out to other platforms first. It just doesn't look good, and speaks ill of the company as a whole, especially when Windows Phone hasn't quite taken off yet, and many developers are often asking themselves why they ought to develop for it. Well, if even Microsoft won't push apps out in a timely manner, why should they?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean myself personally, I mean for Microsoft (more specifically, the Windows Phone division). This app is worthless to me, means nothing. But from an image standpoint, this easily looks like Microsoft cares more about gettings apps out to other platforms first. It just doesn't look good, and speaks ill of the company as a whole, especially when Windows Phone hasn't quite taken off yet, and many developers are often asking themselves why they ought to develop for it. Well, if even Microsoft won't push apps out in a timely manner, why should they?

Throwing old ladies off a bridge would speak badly of tthe company. The apple/android dev team doing their job and making an app for ios and android whilst the wp team do their job and work on the os does not.

And you cant feel embarrassed for someone who doesn't themselves feel embarrassed.
Don't you think that people might be making slightly too much of an issue of this? Maybe?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Throwing old ladies off a bridge would speak badly of tthe company. The apple/android dev team doing their job and making an app for ios and android whilst the wp team do their job and work on the os does not.

And you cant feel embarrassed for someone who doesn't themselves feel embarrassed.

Don't you think that people might be making slightly too much of an issue of this? Maybe?

Perhaps, it's just annoying how Windows Phone is always put last, even by Microsoft, so it seems.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
it is a perception issue, but its the perception that releasing a random app has anything to do with anything.

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

It is not a random app, it was written up all over the net, as a great new feature, and implies that iOS and Android are more important, to MS, than WP.

I worked for two of the biggest hardware/software manufacturers,in the world, for over 30 years. Believe me this was a foolish decision on their part.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
It is not a random app, it was written up all over the net, as a great new feature, and implies that iOS and Android are more important, to MS, than WP.

I worked for two of the biggest hardware/software manufacturers,in the world, for over 30 years. Believe me this was a foolish decision on their part.

It was written up all over the net because its a click bait story. It galvanises "tech" peoples dislike of Microsoft and allows for gross over exaggeration of perceived issues.

Just look at this thread, people throwing toys out of the pram and claiming Ms stabbed them in the back.

This is not an important story, this is not an important app. Its internet hysteria.

Also, saying things like "trust me i worked for" makes you sound like a 12year old, it may be true, but do you honestly expect your claim to make me just say "oh you did? Well shucks mr, you must know a whole buncha stuff that would just pickle my head. You are right and i am wrong!" no, it wont, You could be Tim cooke for all I care. It doesn't give credence to your argument, especially when its a claim this hysterical.

Psycmeistr

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
By the way, nearly without fail, everytime an app comes out, I can place good money that it will be for iOS or Android. Ne'er a mention of Windows Phone.

Microsoft is SORELY under-marketing the Windows Phone Platform, which I consider to be far superior to either Apple or Android.

Whomever is in charge of marketing for the Windows 8.x Phone operating system is failing MISERABLY, and we are missing out on some otherwise great app ideas as a result. Nokia is towing the line as far as the cutting edge of placing Windows 8 as their platform of choice, but Microsoft itself isn't lifting a finger to advance WP8. A superior platform like WP8 should be commanding a much greater market share than what it currently does.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
... and implies that iOS and Android are more important, to MS, than WP.

Maybe they are. Microsoft makes $1 billion+ a year directly off of Android, but so far WP has been a big money pit.

...the Windows Phone Platform, which I consider to be far superior to either Apple or Android.

<snip>

A superior platform like WP8...

Well it seems that only 3.7% of smartphone users agree with you.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I too was wondering when this would show up.

I am sure that a MS Remote desktop app is in the works. As for Remote Desktop being useless on a phone I couldn't disagree more. I use it all the time on my phone. Nothing impresses a client more than being able to fix a computer problem they are having and doing it from my car, parked of course. I use two, One called remote desktop, Remote Desktop | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) and costs a whole $1.99. The other is TeamViewer, which is free.

Would I like a MS Remote Desktop app? Of course. Is it a deal breaker for me? Nope.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
There are 3rd party RD apps already, like the excellent Remote Desktop mentioned above. As big as Microsoft is, even they they have finite resources. Out of all the things they need for WP, native RD should be on the bottom of the list.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Maybe they are. Microsoft makes $1 billion+ a year directly off of Android, but so far WP has been a big money pit.

if "the world" means "the usa market" then yeah sure.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
There are 3rd party RD apps already, like the excellent Remote Desktop mentioned above. As big as Microsoft is, even they they have finite resources. Out of all the things they need for WP, native RD should be on the bottom of the list.

this. This x1,000.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
This isn't something you need to get exited about. This isn't an app for kids, hipsters or whatever.

The RDP protocol is the NATIVE windows remote desktop protocol, and it's something essentials for everyone who administrates servers. TeamViewer is not a valid alternative. Native means that it's already available on every windows (desktop, I don't know RT) installation; no needs to install anything to make it working.

You may try defending microsoft in every pitiful way, but the simple fact that they released this essential (for those who really use it) tool for ios and android leaving THEIR OWN operating system aside is shameful. No excuses.
I don't care if there are third parties implementations. There were for ios and android too, no justifications for releasing an official one for them first.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This isn't something you need to get exited about. This isn't an app for kids, hipsters or whatever.

The RDP protocol is the NATIVE windows remote desktop protocol, and it's something essentials for everyone who administrates servers. TeamViewer is not a valid alternative. Native means that it's already available on every windows (desktop, I don't know RT) installation; no needs to install anything to make it working.

The Remote Desktop app linked to in an earlier post does not need anything extra either, it's a Remote Desktop app that uses the native windows RD protocol on port 3389 (default, you can of course change it) to control any PC that has remote desktop enabled. Why should MS spend time and resources on developing this, when there is a GREAT (really, try it... it's fantastic) alternative out there for such a miniscule niche product (and I say that as someone that uses RD on my Lumia 521 every day!) that will do nothing to build the user base? They provide it for Android and iOS because they have larger user bases on their tablets. There are SO MANY other things WP needs before this.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It's useless discussing with people like you... you would defend Microsoft even if they would release a new WP build that prevents you from calling to anyone, and you'd say "this is great because it makes people meeting face to face".
Think whatever you want, be happy whatever MS do and continue supporting MS for their bull****s.
Others and I are pissed off about this and you aren't going to change that.
And I really hope that something will make MS regret for screwing this up.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Some of you in this thread need to relax. MS didn't do this primarily for iPhone and Android phones. As has already been stated here and elsewhere, the app (purchases, BTW, mostly developed from someone else) targets tablets. Every Windows computer and tablet (this includes RT) has mstsc.exe (remote desktop client) on it. There is even a Modern UI client available in the store.

I use it quite a bit on my Surface RT. Would I use it on a phone? Maybe, but I'd prefer the RSAT suite - unless I had a phablet. 😉

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's useless discussing with people like you... you would defend Microsoft even if they would release a new WP build that prevents you from calling to anyone, and you'd say "this is great because it makes people meeting face to face".

I kind of agree with you, but I might have been a bit more diplomatic! I do feel that the more passionate WP fans go too far in defending Microsoft in anything they do or don't do. Let me put this thought out there: how can anyone rise up in anger at Google for not providing official WP apps for their (Google's) services, and yet defend Microsoft when they do it, to their own platform? :amaze: I never understood this.

And FWIW, plenty of other developers do the same thing: Facebook, Instagram, Flipboard, Vine, and most major banks.

Psycmeistr

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

Well, in my opinion, it's a result of poor marketing, not a poor platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon