Microsoft releases remote desktop app, for IOS/andriod, skips WP8

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's useless discussing with people like you... you would defend Microsoft even if they would release a new WP build that prevents you from calling to anyone, and you'd say "this is great because it makes people meeting face to face".

Dude, check my history in this forum and you'd see I'm definitely not a "defend MS at all costs" guy. I have plenty of things to criticize them for. But I'm not going to criticize them for not allocating resources to something of as little importance as a native RD client for WP. Really.
And can you at least LOOK at the Remote Desktop client that already exists in the app store? It will do exactly what you're asking for, until MS makes their own. They could just buy that app though, and this would all be solved right away...

Last edited:

gothfebrio

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Dude, check my history in this forum and you'd see I'm definitely not a "defend MS at all costs" guy. I have plenty of things to criticize them for. But I'm not going to criticize them for not allocating resources to something of as little importance as a native RD client for WP. Really.
And can you at least LOOK at the Remote Desktop client that already exists in the app store? It will do exactly what you're asking for, until MS makes their own. They could just buy that app though, and this would all be solved right away...

You do know google play store and apple itunes app store does have 3rd party remote desktop app as well? and they can control which device may get the app. Ive been using(bought) the remote desktop app from the store everyday even Im in the exact same house, just downstairs, and i still prefer microsoft release its own app for WP. windows phone to windows sounds more...u know...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
You do know google play store and apple itunes app store does have 3rd party remote desktop app as well? and they can control which device may get the app. Ive been using(bought) the remote desktop app from the store everyday even Im in the exact same house, just downstairs, and i still prefer microsoft release its own app for WP. windows phone to windows sounds more...u know...

I would PREFER that too. But the idea that this should in any way be a priority is ludicrous.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This isn't something you need to get exited about. This isn't an app for kids, hipsters or whatever.

The RDP protocol is the NATIVE windows remote desktop protocol, and it's something essentials for everyone who administrates servers. TeamViewer is not a valid alternative. Native means that it's already available on every windows (desktop, I don't know RT) installation; no needs to install anything to make it working.

Contrary to what you have posted there is a lot more to running the native RDP on a network if you want or need to be able to really use it as a remote administration tool. There are ports to set up on the routers to be able to get through, there are major security issues that need to be considered such as using the default port or not and if you really want a port open on your firewalls. I, for one as a network administrator, do not like opening unnecessary ports so I only use Remote Desktop if I am connected to the same physical network.

This is where TeamViewer comes in handy and is a perfectly viable alternative. Easier setup, more secure and can be used by any of my clients with no setup requirements for them as there is a stand alone client that they simply run and give me the ID and Password to connect. Simple, painless and has never failed me.

So even if MS releases Remote Desktop for the Windows Phone I would only use it in very limited situations.

gothfebrio

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Contrary to what you have posted there is a lot more to running the native RDP on a network if you want or need to be able to really use it as a remote administration tool. There are ports to set up on the routers to be able to get through, there are major security issues that need to be considered such as using the default port or not and if you really want a port open on your firewalls. I, for one as a network administrator, do not like opening unnecessary ports so I only use Remote Desktop if I am connected to the same physical network.

This is where TeamViewer comes in handy and is a perfectly viable alternative. Easier setup, more secure and can be used by any of my clients with no setup requirements for them as there is a stand alone client that they simply run and give me the ID and Password to connect. Simple, painless and has never failed me.

So even if MS releases Remote Desktop for the Windows Phone I would only use it in very limited situations.

so what youre saying is you dont mind the app is on the store because you dont use remote desktop outside of your local network.
and youre using teamviewer to not access your own computer but to access your clients pcs.
most of my client is using windows, and windows have this thing called Remote Assistance which you dont even need to download or set up anything.
some people just prefer built in stuff.

i think what they're trying to say is simply microsoft should make wp users feel special which i kinda agree, but dont mind atm. it is more of a preference.

Phone Guy 4567

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
That feels like a slap in the face... What's going on in MS?!

Exactly.

I tried the MS RD client on Android & IMO it isn't that great, but it doesn't matter because MS not releasing RD client on WP just looks bad. Most if not all 3rd party RD clients in the WP store are not free for the full version, MS could have easily purchased one of them and re-branded it. The argument that MS is writing the client from scratch doesn't hold water because of the ability they had to purchase an existing client. If MS true intention was for it to be used on tablets and not phones I find it hard to believe there was no way to limit which devices it can be installed or used properly on.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
This is bad marketing move by Microsoft. I work in IT but my co-workers get official Remote Desktop app before my WP8. Using 3rd party ConnectMe for now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria