10-30-2013 04:26 PM
176 ... 45678
tools
    i have a question if someone would be so obliged to answer, since we used that developer thing to update wouldnt it be safe to assume we could do that with every OS update?
    From reading the blogs I get the impression the future ones will be more beta. On top of that your phone needed to be developer unlocked which voids the warranty. Not everyone wants to do that. Not to mention that the beta versions will be even more likely be very buggy.
    10-23-2013 08:34 AM
    Don't know where you got your information but you posted this on 10/22 and on 10/23 GDR3 was released on Sprint for the Sprint HTC 8XT.
    Time flies.
    Actually, it was released to Sprint on 10/22 in the US. I'm in EST, and it was released before I went to bed last night.

i have a question if someone would be so obliged to answer, since we used that developer thing to update wouldnt it be safe to assume we could do that with every OS update?
    Whatever ones Microsoft enables for the program, yes. In fact, Greg Sullivan said in last week's Windows Weekly podcast (link on page one of this thread) that in the future it may be more of a beta program.

From reading the blogs I get the impression the future ones will be more beta. On top of that your phone needed to be developer unlocked which voids the warranty. Not everyone wants to do that. Not to mention that the beta versions will be even more likely be very buggy.
    A phone being developer unlocked does not void the warranty. In fact, all it takes to relock it is to go to dev.windowsphone.com to the dashboard then account then phones, and delete a phone from the list. The rest is OTA.
    10-23-2013 09:02 AM
    Sort of. Those of us on Sprint with the Ativ S Neo still aren't seeing a thing.
    10-23-2013 09:05 AM
    Well, not all Sprint devices - the 8XT specifically. I'd forgotten that Sprint had more than one phone.
    10-23-2013 09:07 AM
    I can't tell if you're making fun of me or agreeing with me...

Already running gdr3 on my 920, so not in a hurry.
    Thats my way of saying I liked your post, check all my past posts :)
    10-23-2013 09:11 AM
    A phone being developer unlocked does not void the warranty. In fact, all it takes to relock it is to go to dev.windowsphone.com to the dashboard then account then phones, and delete a phone from the list. The rest is OTA.
    I was just going by what was posted:

Important notes

There are a few key items that you must understand before you update your phone:

•After you install a preview update, you may void any warranty from your mobile operator and OEM.
    •A preview update only includes the Microsoft portion of the update; mobile operator and OEM driver updates will be available when the official update for your phone is available.
    •You cannot revert or return to a prior operating system release version after you have updated your phone to a preview update. We will move you forward to a "released state," but we cannot take you back to a prior "released state."
    10-23-2013 09:31 AM
    I was just going by what was posted:
    No problem. For clarification, Microsoft cannot say that an update will or will not void the warranty, since they are not the manufacturer, and are not a party in the warranty, so they are just covering their butts by making that statement. But that statement has to do with installing the preview update, not developer unlocking your phone. I've had 7 Windows Phones, and my wife has had four, and all of these have been developer unlocked. When I get rid of a phone, I just go to the website and delete it from the list, and it is no longer developer unlocked. All developer unlocked means is that you can sideload apps. It allows apps that are not signed to run. If you sideload an app on a dev unlocked phone, then remove it from the list, the next time you try to run a sideloaded app you'll get a message about how it is not signed, or something like that, maybe the certificate isn't there (it's been a while since I did this), and the app will be uninstalled. If you click ok, it uninstalls the app. If you tap cancel, it leaves the app there, but it still can't run - you'll get the same message next time you try to launch it. You'll see the same thing if Microsoft revokes a certificate of a store app - they've done this once that I can think of.

The not being able to revert statement means that once you install the update you can't revert back to GDR2. This is completely separate from the phone being dev unlocked. A dev can only have three devices unlocked on his account at a time, so if he wants to add another, he has to delete one.

I hope this clears it up for you.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    10-23-2013 09:54 AM
    Thats my way of saying I liked your post, check all my past posts :)
    Ah...ok. Btw, I chose the bag of leaves. Collecting the booty as we speak!
    montsa007 likes this.
    10-23-2013 12:57 PM
    Ah...ok. Btw, I chose the bag of leaves. Collecting the booty as we speak!
    LOL, that was a good one. Follow my signature links for Nirvana.
    I just got my replacement 720 today, thinking of toying with GDR 3...
    10-23-2013 01:42 PM
    The developer preview for gdr3 is the final release of the product from Microsoft. What makes it "not final" is the lack of any firmware update that the manufacturer may roll into the update package.
    A Microsoft Developer Preview is never the final release. What part of preview (and Microsoft's very clear definition of preview in its post beta world) do people not understand? You can say it as many times as you like, but until it is finalized and released for a device, it is still a beta.
    10-23-2013 09:30 PM
    6 pages over a technicality in verbage?

Have several seats
    10-23-2013 11:44 PM
    6 pages over a technicality in verbage?

Have several seats
    shaq-gif-1.jpg
    cckgz4 likes this.
    10-24-2013 03:16 AM
    My brain just died reading the posts arguing with hopmedic.
    HaibaneReki, N_LaRUE and hopmedic like this.
    10-24-2013 04:04 AM
    I'm worried because I am seeing a WP8.1 delay coming!!! WP8.1 was what was supposed to be coming in Q1 2014, not Lumia Black! Microsoft is really slow.
    10-24-2013 05:19 AM
    A Microsoft Developer Preview is never the final release. What part of preview (and Microsoft's very clear definition of preview in its post beta world) do people not understand? You can say it as many times as you like, but until it is finalized and released for a device, it is still a beta.
    IT'S BEEN RELEASED FOR A DEVICE!

What part do YOU not understand?! We have the final build numbers. We have that on our dev preview devices. And it has been officially released for at least one phone. What more do you want?!

*pounds head off table*
    Last edited by psiu_glen; 10-24-2013 at 08:03 AM.
    hopmedic likes this.
    10-24-2013 05:37 AM
    Edit: this post is in jest, all passengers without their sense of humor aboard please disembark prior to reading.

My brain just died reading the posts arguing with hopmedic.
    seriously, "the sky is brown"

Hop: no, it's blue, you can look outside.

Rock: "NO IT'S A SKY "PREVIEW" NOT BLUE UNTIL IT'S FINAL!"
    BadIntentVG and hopmedic like this.
    10-24-2013 05:40 AM
    I'm wondering.... can we move on now? :P
    10-24-2013 05:43 AM
    It's clear that who doesn't understand that the gdr3 preview it's a preview build and the rtm build has still to be built, is not a developer.
    Let them think this is the final one... we don't want to ruin their favorite toy, do we? :)
    No..
    the HTC 8XT has also the same build... 10512..
    10-24-2013 05:47 AM
    IT'S BEEN RELEASED FOR A DEVICE!

What part do YOU not understand?! We have the final build numbers. We have that on our dev preview devices. And it has been officially released for at least one phone. What more do you want?!

*pounds head off table*
    Exactly, I think some people are being purposefully dense about this. In my comments I never stated that the dev preview WAS the RTM, I simply stated it was feature complete i.e. no more features being added!!
    10-24-2013 08:57 AM
    Welcome to a new era of Microsoft. The same build that developers got has now been released in the wild. The day before you posted this comment. Less than 13 hours after this whole discussion started, I was vindicated. I've already been proven right. Can we move on now?
    N_LaRUE and tk-093 like this.
    10-24-2013 09:16 AM
    Edit: this post is in jest, all passengers without their sense of humor aboard please disembark prior to reading.

seriously, "the sky is brown"

Hop: no, it's blue, you can look outside.

Rock: "NO IT'S A SKY "PREVIEW" NOT BLUE UNTIL IT'S FINAL!"
    That's pretty much how it is these days. Not just about comparatively insignificant things like phones or computers, but about a lot of things, sadly.
    10-24-2013 09:22 AM
    It is the GDR3 guys. The build may be different due to bug fixes but at the end of the day, it will be GDR3.

Lets move on. No need for hating each other over semantics in this helpful forum :)

Sent from my mobile Tapatalk
    10-24-2013 09:22 AM
    It is the GDR3 guys. The build may be different due to bug fixes but at the end of the day, it will be GDR3.

Lets move on. No need for hating each other over semantics in this helpful forum :)
    FYI the build won't be different. It's already been released for the HTC 8XT on Sprint. Same build.

Sent from my mobile Tapatalk
    It won't be a different build. Microsoft has already published documentation of the final build numbers, and they match what we have, as well as the build that Sprint HTC 8XT owners have already started receiving. It's over. Done. The builds that are being pushed out are final, and they match the dev builds. It's been said many times in this thread, with documentation to support.
    neo158 likes this.
    10-24-2013 09:23 AM
    Well, it seems I was wrong. This preview is actually the final build.
    I'm pretty surprised and disappointed for this... surprised because this is the first time MS releases a preview which is already the final build, disappointed because this preview seems to be pretty buggy.

( also, I was secretly hoping they would add an option to force the store to check for updates in the rtm relase )
    10-24-2013 06:16 PM
    Well, it seems I was wrong. This preview is actually the final build.
    I'm pretty surprised and disappointed for this... surprised because this is the first time MS releases a preview which is already the final build, disappointed because this preview seems to be pretty buggy.

( also, I was secretly hoping they would add an option to force the store to check for updates in the rtm relase )
    This! I have so many bugs on my gdr3 lumia. Wish I could go back, and didn't upgrade. :(
    10-24-2013 09:39 PM
176 ... 45678