Not open for further replies.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations, you just won montsa007's "Made me laugh award"

You are entitled to a complimentary,
-Thank you on your post
-Like on your post
-Free plastic bag containing some leaves and dried flowers (Just pick any plastic bag from your home & pick the leaves & flowers from your neighborhood)

Meh, your post is funny, let me like it anyway ;).

As I always say, a way out is to flash on unbranded ROM :D

I can't tell if you're making fun of me or agreeing with me...

Already running gdr3 on my 920, so not in a hurry.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Considering that Nokia took took over 2 months to release the Amber Update for all Lumia Device (15th Aug-22Oct) I really don't think Black will be rolled out very fast. Or maybe Nokia proves us wrong and decides to roll it out early which i doubt.

P40L0

Banned
May 25, 2013
Visit site
GDR3 Preview is Final GDR3 got early.

Final builds numbers matches: Microsoft publishes Update 3 changelog on Windows Phone site | Windows Phone Central

Nokia Black will come later, and can be added to GDR3 for people who already has it without any problem.
GDR3 Preview is NOT a Beta. Period.

Hopefully the Dev program will keep releasing Final WP builds earlier, bypassing any restriction or operator, and will add the possibility to enter Beta programs too, but separately.

Not this time anyway... ;)

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i have a question if someone would be so obliged to answer, since we used that developer thing to update wouldnt it be safe to assume we could do that with every OS update?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
i have a question if someone would be so obliged to answer, since we used that developer thing to update wouldnt it be safe to assume we could do that with every OS update?

From reading the blogs I get the impression the future ones will be more beta. On top of that your phone needed to be developer unlocked which voids the warranty. Not everyone wants to do that. Not to mention that the beta versions will be even more likely be very buggy.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't know where you got your information but you posted this on 10/22 and on 10/23 GDR3 was released on Sprint for the Sprint HTC 8XT.
Time flies.
Actually, it was released to Sprint on 10/22 in the US. I'm in EST, and it was released before I went to bed last night.

Whatever ones Microsoft enables for the program, yes. In fact, Greg Sullivan said in last week's Windows Weekly podcast (link on page one of this thread) that in the future it may be more of a beta program.

From reading the blogs I get the impression the future ones will be more beta. On top of that your phone needed to be developer unlocked which voids the warranty. Not everyone wants to do that. Not to mention that the beta versions will be even more likely be very buggy.
A phone being developer unlocked does not void the warranty. In fact, all it takes to relock it is to go to dev.windowsphone.com to the dashboard then account then phones, and delete a phone from the list. The rest is OTA.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
A phone being developer unlocked does not void the warranty. In fact, all it takes to relock it is to go to dev.windowsphone.com to the dashboard then account then phones, and delete a phone from the list. The rest is OTA.

I was just going by what was posted:

Important notes

There are a few key items that you must understand before you update your phone:

•After you install a preview update, you may void any warranty from your mobile operator and OEM.
•A preview update only includes the Microsoft portion of the update; mobile operator and OEM driver updates will be available when the official update for your phone is available.
•You cannot revert or return to a prior operating system release version after you have updated your phone to a preview update. We will move you forward to a "released state," but we cannot take you back to a prior "released state."

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I was just going by what was posted:

No problem. For clarification, Microsoft cannot say that an update will or will not void the warranty, since they are not the manufacturer, and are not a party in the warranty, so they are just covering their butts by making that statement. But that statement has to do with installing the preview update, not developer unlocking your phone. I've had 7 Windows Phones, and my wife has had four, and all of these have been developer unlocked. When I get rid of a phone, I just go to the website and delete it from the list, and it is no longer developer unlocked. All developer unlocked means is that you can sideload apps. It allows apps that are not signed to run. If you sideload an app on a dev unlocked phone, then remove it from the list, the next time you try to run a sideloaded app you'll get a message about how it is not signed, or something like that, maybe the certificate isn't there (it's been a while since I did this), and the app will be uninstalled. If you click ok, it uninstalls the app. If you tap cancel, it leaves the app there, but it still can't run - you'll get the same message next time you try to launch it. You'll see the same thing if Microsoft revokes a certificate of a store app - they've done this once that I can think of.

The not being able to revert statement means that once you install the update you can't revert back to GDR2. This is completely separate from the phone being dev unlocked. A dev can only have three devices unlocked on his account at a time, so if he wants to add another, he has to delete one.

I hope this clears it up for you. :wink:

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The developer preview for gdr3 is the final release of the product from Microsoft. What makes it "not final" is the lack of any firmware update that the manufacturer may roll into the update package.

A Microsoft Developer Preview is never the final release. What part of preview (and Microsoft's very clear definition of preview in its post beta world) do people not understand? You can say it as many times as you like, but until it is finalized and released for a device, it is still a beta.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm worried because I am seeing a WP8.1 delay coming!!! WP8.1 was what was supposed to be coming in Q1 2014, not Lumia Black! Microsoft is really slow.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
A Microsoft Developer Preview is never the final release. What part of preview (and Microsoft's very clear definition of preview in its post beta world) do people not understand? You can say it as many times as you like, but until it is finalized and released for a device, it is still a beta.

IT'S BEEN RELEASED FOR A DEVICE!

What part do YOU not understand?! We have the final build numbers. We have that on our dev preview devices. And it has been officially released for at least one phone. What more do you want?!

*pounds head off table*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2